Service 4wd warning

H3 Specific Information

Service 4wd warning

Postby PhxRealtor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:13 pm

I got the "service 4wd" warning when I switched to 4 high recently. Had a hard time getting it to switch out of 4 high, but when I did, the warning still was there. Warning went away when I turned off the truck and re-started. Don't use the 4wd too often, and only have 40,000 miles on my 2006 H3. Anyone know what could cause this?
Just do the right thing
PhxRealtor
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2006 H3 Adv

Re: Service 4wd warning

Postby Seth » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:02 am

Generally it is caused by one of the 4x4 buttons getting stuck in just a little. Happens all the time. Pop the button back out and restart the vehicle and it is fine every time.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby PhxRealtor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks. And that will cause the "service 4wd" to display in the instrument cluster?
Just do the right thing
PhxRealtor
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Seth » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:27 am

PhxRealtor wrote:Thanks. And that will cause the "service 4wd" to display in the instrument cluster?

Yep. Because it is receiving a constant signal or something like that. Freaked me out the first time it happened to me. Tech guy confirmed it for me.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby PhxRealtor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks so much for your help, I'll give it a try!
Just do the right thing
PhxRealtor
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Slogger » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Seth wrote:
PhxRealtor wrote:Thanks. And that will cause the "service 4wd" to display in the instrument cluster?

Yep. Because it is receiving a constant signal or something like that. Freaked me out the first time it happened to me. Tech guy confirmed it for me.

That was one of the first things Robo asked me when I took my 2006 H3 in for that issue. I think my issue was that there was a minor leak from the gasket towards the drive shaft.

If the button issue doesn't work for you check for small leaks from the belly. If it's leaking something you'll see it, but it may not be as bad as it looks due to the wind spraying it back. :)
Simply,
Slogger

http://www.adventureslogger.com
http://www.counterpointphotography.com

2006 H3 Boulder Gray - Adventure / Lux
Add-ons (So Far): •OEM Brush Guards •Thule Roof-Rack •Rola Safari Rack •285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
Slogger
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: H3 - Adventure/LUX

Postby HummBebe » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:57 am

Pop the panel off and check your connections. I had my panel replaced 2x now.
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby f5fstop » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Those switches are a pos and always have been. I carry a razor to flip mine out after I press them because they will stay in. Same on my 06 and now my 08. Press in the 4x4 hi or low lock, and then press the 4x4 normal mode afterward with either of the hi or lo buttons still pressed in, and the computer gets conflicting signals from the switch array and cannot determine wtf is happpening. Thus it displays the 4x4 warning.
GM was supposed to fix those POS buttons back in 07 and they didn't. From their stand point, 90 percent of the people who drive an H3 do not need to push any of the buttons to crawl over speed bumps at the local mall. :wall:
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Postby VrtlOfc » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks for the info ...

I've been trying to figure out the Serv 4WD message for about a week. When I attempted to select 4HiLock it would not engage, and after a minute or so the Serv 4wd message would appear. I exercised all of the connectors beneath the truck, checked wiring, etc.

The fix was very carefully checking the switches (as recommended above) and I discovered that the 4Hi button looked slightly depressed. Sure enough, popping it out fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help!

NDW
VrtlOfc
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H3 2006

Return to H3 Tech