Trail ethics education.

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Postby beavis » Fri May 25, 2007 9:29 am

Human waste contains many more pathogens then bear poo.

I spent many a fine day in my parasitology class picking through tiny bits of sick human poo while looking at it under the microscope :yuck:
beavis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Spyder Kar

Postby Bondage » Fri May 25, 2007 9:36 am

ronb wrote:
Toots wrote:What's the difference between a bear crapping in the woods and a human crapping in the woods? Just curious. :duh:

1000 bears...millions of people? Having shot alot in various horrible (but cool looking) alleys in downtown, I'd rather be stepping in bear poop (instead of bum dung).

rb

I'm not aware of any trails so remote that they have no sanitation facilities, yet so accessible that they get "millions of people" a year traversing them! :duh: Ron - we're talking trails here...not skid row! :lol: :lol: :lol: I read that report Sewie posted on the Rubicon waste problem. Brilliant and insidious. Close a lot of trails, concentrate us into very small areas, then complain about the overuse and massive waste problems in the tiny areas they've restricted us to. That's pretty good. :wall:
Now I can see having to pack it out in a situation like that - which is one of the reasons I generally avoid situations like that. :lol: The Mojave Road probably gets a fraction of that number of visitors, is spread out over 130 miles, and is near exactly zero water sources. All that's required is burying the waste a minimum of 6 inches deep. That, I do. I'll also be burying the poo on our hiking trip tomorrow. Sorry.....I'm not putting it in my backpack or pocket and carrying it along. :no: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...I might try to sneak it into PatioHeat or Beav's pack though.............. :o :no: :yuck: :lol:
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston
Vehicle: BLACK H2

Postby Bellvis » Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 am

Bondage wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...I might try to sneak it into PatioHeat or Beav's pack though.............. :o :no: :yuck: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

I picked up a "Lugable Lou" from REI for the Anza Borrego trip. It got one use out of it and I ended up triple packing it up and dumping the dump in a dumpster at the gas station. :D
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby ProjektH3 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:25 am

Toots wrote:What's the difference between a bear crapping in the woods and a human crapping in the woods? Just curious. :duh:

Or any other animal for that matter.

Im sure theres some "study" but like every other study that changes every day. Its all BS.
ProjektH3
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 06 H3, 97 Wrangler

Postby Rich » Fri May 25, 2007 10:30 am

Rod wrote:

Back when I was a Boy Scout we'd often bathe in rivers and lakes while camping. Turns out that's not such a good idea.

Do not wash in lakes and streams. Even biodegradable detergents, toothpaste, and soap harm fish and other aquatic life.

Thats something else I learned. The place we go backpacking into we have bathed in the river for years. I thought it was okay because we were using biodegradable soap. That said, the fishing in the pool we bathe in and downstream is awesome. :yup:
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Toots » Fri May 25, 2007 10:42 am

I understand the Rubicon. Like Bondage said, so many people in such a small area. I think I could also apply that to Anzio however I don't remember ever having to take a crap while out on the trails there. Lucky for me. :lol: Mojave is so remote, burying it works just fine. Different solutions for different areas, I guess.

This question thing is fun!
So, if a tree falls in the woods and noone hears it, does it make a sound?
Toots
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: FJ TRD SE

Postby Rich » Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 am

Bondage wrote: Close a lot of trails, concentrate us into very small areas, then complain about the overuse and massive waste problems in the tiny areas they've restricted us to. That's pretty good. :wall:

I sincerely believe the above is a strategy by the greenies. Then they'll use problems to close the rest. :wall: Mark my words, the planned trail closures will do more harm than good. All the more reason to be hyper vigilant. I guess immodium (sp?) will become a trail essential for me. :where:
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby ronb » Fri May 25, 2007 11:16 am

Bondage wrote:
ronb wrote:

1000 bears...millions of people? Having shot alot in various horrible (but cool looking) alleys in downtown, I'd rather be stepping in bear poop (instead of bum dung).

rb

I'm not aware of any trails so remote that they have no sanitation facilities, yet so accessible that they get "millions of people" a year traversing them! :duh: Ron - we're talking trails here...not skid row! :lol: :lol: :lol: I read that report Sewie posted on the Rubicon waste problem. Brilliant and insidious. Close a lot of trails, concentrate us into very small areas, then complain about the overuse and massive waste problems in the tiny areas they've restricted us to. That's pretty good. :wall:
Now I can see having to pack it out in a situation like that - which is one of the reasons I generally avoid situations like that. :lol: The Mojave Road probably gets a fraction of that number of visitors, is spread out over 130 miles, and is near exactly zero water sources. All that's required is burying the waste a minimum of 6 inches deep. That, I do. I'll also be burying the poo on our hiking trip tomorrow. Sorry.....I'm not putting it in my backpack or pocket and carrying it along. :no: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...I might try to sneak it into PatioHeat or Beav's pack though.............. :o :no: :yuck: :lol:

I was being facetious. But I've been wheeling on lots of trails with no facilities -- maybe at the end/biginning of the trail, but as you know that could be many hours away (besides, when you gotta go...). Bears also don't use tp...niether do I (I use HMR magazine).

Speaking from a hiking standpoint, things are getting out of hand on many popular trails because people don't pack it out. Sometimes it's hard to find a rock without tp under it on the Whitney main trail. I pack it out when possible. Burying is definately more convenient though -- it's a bit disturbing knowing your cargo!

rb
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby The Other Rob » Fri May 25, 2007 11:20 am

Toots wrote:This question thing is fun!
So, if a tree falls in the woods and noone hears it, does it make a sound?

If Toots is making a poo in the woods and someone gets a picture of it, would she rather just be caught by a bear and save herself the humiliation..??
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby The Other Rob » Fri May 25, 2007 11:22 am

Doyou have to pack out doggy poo..?? What about horses..???
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Alec W » Fri May 25, 2007 11:22 am

Rich wrote:I guess immodium (sp?) will become a trail essential for me. :where:

Yup.

I always take 2 or 3 Imodium’s before any trip. Problem solved :lol: :lol:

If I forget or get caught out I bury it. Whatever way you look at it all human poop must end up somewhere on the planet unless we shoot it all into space ;)
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby Alec W » Fri May 25, 2007 11:36 am

The Other Rob wrote:Doyou have to pack out doggy poo..?? What about horses..???

Most people in Colorado on hiking trails do pack out dog poop if it happens on the actual trail, however if it’s a decent distance off trail I’ll leave it. I’ve never seen anyone clean up their horse poop and I try to avoid hiking trails that allow horses as a result. It’s kinda gross to hike in horse poop especially if it’s recent!

We are extremely lucky in Colorado since we have literally thousands of trails and most seem to be designated to the various forms of recreation (hiking, biking, horse riding, wheeling, ATV, etc.).

When I go hiking I don’t hike on mixed use trails and stick to the hiking only trails. When I go wheeling I try to avoid trails that are popular with bikers because cleaning up the blood after running them over is a pain ;)
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby Bondage » Fri May 25, 2007 12:24 pm

ronb wrote:
Bondage wrote:
ronb wrote:

rb

I was being facetious. But I've been wheeling on lots of trails with no facilities -- maybe at the end/biginning of the trail, but as you know that could be many hours away (besides, when you gotta go...). Bears also don't use tp...niether do I (I use HMR magazine).

rb

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFLMFAO
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston
Vehicle: BLACK H2

Postby Sewie » Fri May 25, 2007 1:33 pm

Bondage wrote:Most of the places I wheel in require that solid human waste EITHER be packed out or buried a minimun of 6 inches under the sand. I go the burying route. :yup:

And that used to be the case up here also. The problem is, most of the trails are near water sources. Burying the waste does not keep it out of the water table. Obviously, that's not as much of an issue down there. ;)
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Sewie » Fri May 25, 2007 1:39 pm

ProjektH3 wrote:

Or any other animal for that matter.

Im sure theres some "study" but like every other study that changes every day. Its all BS.

Are bears, or other animals, all crapping withone a 75-100' corridor along however many miles of trail? Are there thousands of bears travelling that corridor every year?

Not to mention that the ecosystem is already balanced to handle the animal waste. Has been for centuries.

God, I'm starting to sound like a greenie. :wall: But it is a real problem, especially in some of the areas up here.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Talk