Reduced Power, service stab sys, traction failure.

H3 Specific Information

Reduced Power, service stab sys, traction failure.

Postby deuces » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:29 pm

HELP PLEASE

I have a 2008 H3 Hummer in Perth Australia.

A few months ago I noticed that my revs were dropping when I would be sitting at the traffic lights. It seemed to get worse as time progressed. Then out of no where the check engine light came up, the car just cut out and I got a message on the dash (Reduced Power, service stab sys, traction failure). The car automatically began jolting and losing power. I turned the engine off and then back on and it happened again. Checked the engine and noticed the radiator had a crack.. Had it replaced.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. Car came back. Engine running smooth again. Engine light gone. Happy Days

Up until a few days ago I noticed the revs drop a little when stationary (but no where near as bad as before). Then this morning, I turned the car on and boom.. Check Engine light comes on, Reduced Power, service stab sys, traction failure and car began jolting again. Turned car off and it fired up normal straight away only with the check engine light remaining on.

Im not sure if its related but I also have a "door open" sign come on my dash at random. Im pretty sure Ive narrowed that down to the boot sensor but was wondering if that could be my battery draining which is reducing power?? Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
deuces
New User
New User

Vehicle: H3 Hummer 2008

Re: Reduced Power, service stab sys, traction failure.

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:51 am

As far as the door open the rear cargo door or boot door is a common culprit of this issue. It can be adjusted so that you don't get the message anymore. Don't think this would have anything to do with the primary issue though.

Can you pull the code for the check engine light? This would be a big help in determining what the issue is. Not sure about down there but here in the US you can go to an auto parts store and they will either loan you a reader or come out to the parking lot to pull the code for you. Once you have the code post it here.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Happy Hummer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Here goes,

* disconnect battery terminals and replace with quality aftermarket
* fix back gate (boot) door switch or replace with new one
* charge battery
* do full cleaning of TB and MAF with proper cleaners for each
* check MAF plug carefully for broken pins or wires
* check oil and trans fluids for contamination
* pull code

No special order but place to start.

Ps...
You can search google and you tube for videos.
Happy Hummer
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby deuces » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Hay guys,

Turns out the issue is with the throttle body (checked the code at a dealer South of where I live).

They want to overcharge so Im going to purchase a new MAF sensor and throttle body to see if I can fix it myself.

WIll let you know how it goes. But Im wondering if its just a case of straight swapping out the sensor and TB? is there anything else I should consider?
deuces
New User
New User

Vehicle: H3 Hummer 2008

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:30 am

Glad to hear you found out what the issue is. I have not had to do anything with my throttle body or MAF sensor so will let others with experience respond but believe it should just be a straight swap. You could just clean the throttle body versus changing it out but if you already have it.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Return to H3 Tech