Ranch lift

General Discussion

Ranch lift

Postby LarryM » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:06 am

I have a 2006 h3.I am considering a ranch 4 inch lift but 1 thing is bothering me.All the photos I have seen of this lift,it appears the front is sitting higher than the back.Rancho's specs claim a 4 front 3 back lift which according to my math would still leave a slight rake in the front.My h3 appears to have had the front end raised about an inch,(probably a torsion adjustment)and I would like anybody that has a rancho lift to set me straight about this.I know that ranch sells quality products but I do not like the high front low back look.
LarryM
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 hummer h3

Re: Ranch lift

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:55 pm

First thing you need to know is that the Rancho lift has been discontinued. There are probably some still out there available but they will disappear.

I have the Rancho on mine and have had it on there for about a year. The reason for the 4" in front and 3" in the back is to level out a stock H3. Unfortunately the Rancho leaf springs are prone to sagging and this is probably what you are seeing in the photos. Rancho was supposed to have changed out the springs for better ones and were also replacing under warranty so may still be doing that. There is a work around for this and it's to do a spring over in the rear. I am actually meeting a friend of mine in about a half hour to go over out plan of attack to do it on mine. With a spring over you gain about 6" of lift in the back. To compensate for this I am going back to the stock spring which also allow for more flex which is a big plus. I am also going to be cutting off the front leaf spring hangers which are huge and installing new smaller ones which won't hang up on everything off road.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. The Rancho is the best lift that was ever offered for the H3 and it's shame it was discontinued but the market just wasn't big enough for them to continue.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby LarryM » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks for the response.I looked at them online and it seemed there was still a lot of them for sale,but if the leaf springs start to sag,I won't be getting one.I have thought about a tuff country 2 inch lift.Do they still make these and do they have any issues I need to know about.My goal is to get some 35 inch nittos or toyos and not have any rubbing.
LarryM
New User
New User

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:57 pm

I wouldn't count on there being many Rancho lifts still available. I would bet most of those listings are more than likely for the same couple of kits still available at the same distributor. What is available may or may not have improved springs but either way it is still the best lift that was ever offered for the H3.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on the Tuff Country. What you get is torsion keys for the front and an add a leaf for the rear. The torsion keys are not needed at all, just crank up the torsion bars with the stock keys, there is plenty of adjustment in them. I believe they sell the add a leaf separate if you really want to do that but don't waste your money on the keys. If you do the add a leaf you are going to bring back the racked stance that it came with from the factory.

You can run 35s completely stock. I ran 35s on mine from the day it first hit the streets and had zero rubbing. I never wheeled it before cranking the torsion bars a week later but got no rubbing at stock. You will get rubbing at least after cranking the torsion bars but thats only with the steering at full locked so not an issue at all.
Mark

Postby LarryM » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:20 pm

I appreciate the advice.Mine looks like it sits about an inch higher in front than other H3s tha I have seen so I believe the previous owner probably already made torsion adjustment.I might just go with some 305 55 r20 trail grapplers.I like the offset wheel look and It looks like these will fit with no problem.Mine is a daily driver but it does see some wheeling from time to time.My cousin has a lifted F150 with 37 inch mud grapplers and I can go through most everything she can and even get in tighter spaces.I love the turning radius of these things.
Thanks for the response.
LarryM
New User
New User

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:16 am

Yeah, completely stock they will go where most rigs need to be modified to get to. If you plan on wheeling much I wouldn't go with that big of a rim but it all comes down to personal preferences. For these rigs I think more tire and less rim looks better but that just my opinion and being able to air way down is important to me where it might not be important to you at all. Post some pics of your truck sometime.
Mark

Return to General