how to install and wire up an auxillary fan

Welcome & Introductions

how to install and wire up an auxillary fan

Postby peterK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:40 pm

has anyone installed an auxilliary fan for extra radiator cooling ?
i have read that the plastic radiator has given "recallable problems" of cracks at the top.
i have already cut off some metal from the front cross frame to provide more space for radiator expansion .
i am looking into either a separate trans cooler or preferably, an auxilliary fan
i have had this 2010 hummer h3t for 6 months now with 80,000 miles clocked.
i had the trans oil flushed, put in synthetic oil;
also noticed some seepage in the top engine gasket. do you think all the bolts could be retightened ?
peterK
New User
New User

Vehicle: hummer h3t

Re: how to install and wire up an auxillary fan

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:21 am

I installed a separate trans cooler on my '09 Alpha so I didn't have to worry about the radiator failing and taking out the transmission. Not common but has happened enough it was worth doing. You can read the details in my build thread linked below. I have been working on other items and not really driving it much until lately. In this cooler weather it has been more than sufficient even when wheeling. I am waiting on warmer weather to determine if I need to replace it with one with a fan.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15598
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby f5fstop » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:04 am

peterK wrote:has anyone installed an auxilliary fan for extra radiator cooling ?
i have already cut off some metal from the front cross frame to provide more space for radiator expansion .
i have read that the plastic radiator has given "recallable problems" of cracks at the top. [b]Not recallable, but yes, a small number of earlier (usually 2008 and earlier but could be any model) have had problems with the top header of the radiator. Just keep an eye and nose out for the problem. Not hard to change a radiator and some aftermarket ones are available. You will usually smell it before you see it. Big difference between recall and tech bulletin or just a know problem. Also, as with ANY radiator with a trans cooler inside, it can leak. Not really any more of a problem on the H3 than on any other vehicle manufactured with an auto and an in radiator trans cooler. [/b]
i am looking into either a separate trans cooler or preferably, an auxilliary fan I would say a separate trans cooler, in line with the radiator trans cooler is the best option. Trans fluid works best at a set temperature and in some climates, just an external air cooler, during colder months does not allow the trans fluid to get to a set level. I had one on my H3 and it really helped to lower the trans fluid temps when towing or driving seriously steep mountains.
i have had this 2010 hummer h3t for 6 months now with 80,000 miles clocked.
i had the trans oil flushed, put in synthetic oil;
also noticed some seepage in the top engine gasket. do you think all the bolts could be retightened ?Clean it off real good and keep an eye on it. Sloppy oil adding to the engine can cause this "look." So clean it, and make sure when adding oil to not spill down the side and see what happens. Even if the oil is spilled at the front, it can spread to the back side during travel. I believe, would have to look it up, but the head bolts are most likely torque to yield and not advisable just to re-tighten.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby peterK » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:49 pm

i appreciated your replies, f5fstop and Mark, thanks.
now to work out how to remove the front panel so as to reach the space.
peterK
New User
New User

Postby peterK » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Mark, just spent some time going through thr many post in yout linked thread; what a wealth of absorbing details of your imaginative tweaks.
Maybe instead of a radiator fan, I should just go for a fan/trans cooler combo. to be sure whenever I go to your link, a silent thank you comes your way.
peterK
New User
New User

Return to Welcome