Drivers side rear passenger door sensor

H2 Specific Information

Drivers side rear passenger door sensor

Postby Wheel3er » Sat May 01, 2010 6:58 pm

I have been losing my mind over this sensor. I just havn't been able to figure out where it is at so I can replace it or repair it. I just ignored it for a while and canceled out the alarm on the dash, but now Ihave noticed the back end of the truck sagging. I realized that the rear air adjustment doens't work if the doors are open. I have found plenty of stuff on the rear hatch, but not the passenger doors. Please help

2004 H2
Rear passenger door
Wheel3er
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2004 H2

Re: Drivers side rear passenger door sensor

Postby upholstryguy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:22 pm

It's been a while since I worked on an H2 but, if I remember correctly the sensors that tell your H2 if the doors are closed or open are wired into the actual latching mechanism inside the door itself.

I can't remember ever seeing a little plunger-type sensors on or around the door-jamb areas of an H2. I know the H3's have that kind of sensor but, not the H2's.

With the door in the open position, if you take a pen or a screw driver and deliberately put it in that part of the door that latches the door shut; I mean use the pen or screw driver to close that latch. Ordinarily, this would act as the sensor that tell your H2 that the door is shut and it would then proceed to turn off the dome lights as well.

Presumably, if the doors need to be shut in order for your ride-leveling apparatus to engage, the integral sensor in the rear door you've singled out may be the sensor you're looking for.

You'll have to remove the rear door panel to access it for testing or removal.

Hope this helps.
Upholstryguy
upholstryguy
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H1 1999

Postby ahartfire » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:58 pm

HI
I also am having a rear passenger door problem. My H2 2004 door is now not locking, this door seems to pop open an 1/2 inch or totally open after the alarm has locked all the doors (except now this one)?
I checked the latch and the latch functionally looks in tact.
Although the alarm is not sounding when this door opens up? I can't get the alarm to lock this door but I can manually lock it but as soon as I use the alarm to open all other doors the alarm does open this rear passenger door.
Can someone give me any advice?
I am going to go through the maintence manual tonight but just hoping for some short cuts???
Help!
ahartfire
New User
New User

Vehicle: H2

Postby big2dabank » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Pretty sure upholstryguy is some what right, I also thin kits inside the door, but I think the sensor may actually be on the hinge side of the door.
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby hellz » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:15 pm

well i got mine working by jumping the wires at the BCM for the rear left door to the rear right door.

the issue with this, when i roll the rear right door window up, i get the rear left door ajar message. when i let go of the window button, message goes away.

you can find the wiring diagram here
http://alarmsellout.com/support/diag...02003-2005.pdf

if the wire falls out, or i find time to redo this, i will change the wiring from the right rear door to the rear hatch. that way there is no window to worry about, and if that door is open, i would liek to think me, or someone is back there opening it.

i still dont know where the issue is.
i have reseated all the wire connections inside the door itself. there is no plunger in or on the door. also, the only wiring going to the door seems to be for the child lock switch. i could be wrong about it, but thats the only wires that go to that area, and seem to conenct to that. if its not the door latch, the next possible culprit is either the BCM or the wiring between the BCM and the door. either case, i dont have the time, nor the cash to let a dealer trace it down.

ill be replacing the door speakers with aftermarket ones soon, so i will try to trace it down there, but i am more than happy with the current work around. my ride is alot more enjoyable now, and my ass isnt riding on the bump stops
hellz
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Drivers Door - Door Ajar Sensor Error

Postby SnowBunny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:57 pm

My driver side door is displaying as 'ajar' all of the time. I disassembled the entire door, except I could not get the latch mechanism out (where the lock/unlock motor is). I unplugged the wire connector going into that, and the ajar sensor no longer goes off. Is there a sensor in the door that can be replaced, and if so, where is it? I have some photos of the inside of the door & the mechanism that I will add later this evening.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Update: I got the latch assembly out (helps to get that third bolt hidden under the weather stripping). Looks like there isn't a 'sensor' per se: the latch itself just completes a circuit when the door is closed. It's an '03, so the latch is pretty dirty & beat up, but I cleaned it up as best as I could. Seems to be working okay for now, and the door ajar message has stopped when it's closed. I took up-close photos of all the internals & the assembly if anyone is interested.
SnowBunny
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2003 H2 LUX

Re: Drivers Door - Door Ajar Sensor Error

Postby Jon316G » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:16 pm

SnowBunny wrote:Update: I got the latch assembly out (helps to get that third bolt hidden under the weather stripping). Looks like there isn't a 'sensor' per se: the latch itself just completes a circuit when the door is closed. It's an '03, so the latch is pretty dirty & beat up, but I cleaned it up as best as I could. Seems to be working okay for now, and the door ajar message has stopped when it's closed. I took up-close photos of all the internals & the assembly if anyone is interested.

I would be interested in photos if you don't mind posting them.
I've been having "right-rear door ajar" messages for a couple weeks (new owner) and I believe that is why my alarm goes off for no reason (thinking the door has been opened).
Just today I received a new message for "rear access open" which is the lift gate, so I hope this isn't a problem with the BCM itself.
I already downloaded the Service Manual to prepare for any disassembling, but then I read this thread and it got me thinking.
If the latch itself is used to ground the circuit, can I simply clean the exposed latch mechanism and post instead of removing the door panels?
I too thought about jumping the connector at the BCM (purple connector), but would rather fix it right if I can.
Jon316G
New User
New User

Postby Jon316G » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:26 pm

hellz wrote:well i got mine working by jumping the wires at the BCM for the rear left door to the rear right door.

Curious how you got to the BCM.
The service manual shows a pretty lengthy process of removing the whole instrument cluster/dash assembly.
But it appears like the BCM is behind the light switch, so it doesn't appear to be as complicated as the FSM indicates.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Jon316G
New User
New User

Postby Jon316G » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14 am

Had some time this morning to investigate this further on my H2.
I've only owned this '03 H2 for a couple weeks and this "ajar" message has been displaying since the day I drove it home.
The dealer already looked at it twice (once before I got it and once a few days after), but of course it wasn't fixed.

I first downloaded the Service Manual and started looking through the electrical diagrams to find how this switch works.
I saw that the right-rear door ajar signal came from the BCM (body control module) on connector C6, which is a purple connector in the back of the module.
Laying on your back, looking up under the dash on the driver's side, you can see the purple connector for the BCM.

After I unplugged the connector I removed the side fuse panel cover and fished the wire harness out the side so I could inspect it:
You'll have to scroll down on the right-side to see the whole picture ----->
H2-Wire-Repair-(1).jpg
H2-Wire-Repair-(1).jpg (305.94 KiB) Viewed 5921 times

Interesting to see that there were two butt-splice connections, one was for the right-rear door ajar signal and the other was for the lift gate ajar signal (which that went off once).
I assume the dealer replaced the wiring from the BCM to the latch mechanism in hopes of correcting this problem.

I cut-off their splice connection to the right-rear door and installed my own wire and splice connection so I could see if grounding the signal indicates an ajar message or not.
H2-Wire-Repair-(2).jpg
H2-Wire-Repair-(2).jpg (281.15 KiB) Viewed 5921 times

Here is a pic of me looking straight-up at the connector where it plugs into the BCM:
H2-Wire-Repair-(3).jpg
H2-Wire-Repair-(3).jpg (337.37 KiB) Viewed 5921 times

With the vehicle running and in 'drive' I did not receive a message for the door being ajar.
H2-Wire-Repair-(4).jpg
H2-Wire-Repair-(4).jpg (272.48 KiB) Viewed 5921 times

I found something metal under the dash and touched my wire to it... right away the 'ajar' message appeared.
H2-Wire-Repair-(5).jpg
H2-Wire-Repair-(5).jpg (304.87 KiB) Viewed 5921 times

I was able to remove the wire from "ground" and the message went away. This was repeatable many times.
So it appears that the signal has to be grounded for the 'ajar' message to display.
Because this worked, I don't think my problem is with the BCM itself (which would be a good thing) and is likely the latching mechanism itself keeping the connection grounded even though the latch is closed.
I'll have to try this out for a few days to verify this wasn't a strange fluke, but it looks promising.
And this will also tell me if my "saggy butt" problem is because of this. If not, I'll be looking for cracks in the air springs this weekend.
Jon316G
New User
New User

Postby UPNOVR » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Any updates?

I've recently been experiencing this problem. First, it was intermittent "Passenger door ajar" warnings which would go away. But now the warnings are staying on and my air suspension isn't working because of it. I took the driver side passenger door apart, inspected everything and fiddled around with the wiring to figure out which wire was causing the problem(blue w/ black stripe). I clipped the wire and the problem went away.... for awhile. Not it's on constantly. I unplugged the harness from the BCM and the warning goes away BUT the air suspension doesn't come on. Any ideas? I HATE the local stealership(PDX) so I won't be going there.
UPNOVR
New User
New User

Postby Jon316G » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Like you, after several days my "door ajar" messages returned.
I unplugged it at the BCM and it still occurred, which told me this was a short within the BCM module itself.

Bought a BCM online and had the dealer flash it. They wanted to charge me $800 because the whole console needed to be removed to get it out. I asked them if they would only charge to flash the module if I can get it out and just leave it "dangling" somewhere so they don't have to take apart anything. They said that was fine and charged me only $115 for the flash.

This weekend I'm converting to coil springs and losing the air springs.
Don't feel like dealing with these... even if they should last several years.
Jon316G
New User
New User

Postby snowJ » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:10 am

I am worried that if I remove the dash myself what else might break. This is a 2003. How hard was it for you to remove and did you have any problems with anything else breaking while you removed the dash?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
snowJ
New User
New User

Return to H2 Tech