way to John Bull.

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

way to John Bull.

Postby MuddyH3 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 pm

just wondering how to get to the Gatekeeper @ John Bull. I'll be up in Big Bear on Feb. 11-13... and wanted to do some light wheeling. Not doing John Bull... just wondering how to get there. any help would.... well, help. lol :lol: :lol:
2006 H3 Adv., Cognito/Bilstein Shocks, JKS Discos, JKS BPEs, WP Shackles, 35" km2s.
1972 Chevy Monte Carlo: 406ci, 700r4, 12 bolt w/ eaton posi & 3.73:1 gears.
MuddyH3
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H3 Hummer

Re: way to John Bull.

Postby Seth » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:37 am

You take 3N16 from Hwy 18 east of Big Bear Lake. I believe the road is called Polique Canyon Rd. 3N16 starts at the dump. Take it west to 3N02. Go north to the start of John Bull which is 3N10. Download the map I have attached and look at the far right side.
Attachments
Big Bear Map.JPG
(441.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby H3-ING » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Just call one of the Ranger Stations up there. Mill Creek RS is one.
They will send you free paper OHV maps on request.
They are decent.
H3-ING
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha Off-Road

Postby MuddyH3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:43 pm

thanks guys. appreciate it! :yup:
2006 H3 Adv., Cognito/Bilstein Shocks, JKS Discos, JKS BPEs, WP Shackles, 35" km2s.
MuddyH3
Club Member
Club Member

Postby MuddyH3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

so are there any hxc runs in the works for the near future? maybe we should get something going. official or non. just a thought. :D
MuddyH3
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:06 pm

MuddyH3 wrote:so are there any hxc runs in the works for the near future? maybe we should get something going. official or non. just a thought. :D

Any run planned by an HXC member can be an official run. You don't have to have me plan it. However, it shouldn't be too long before I get a new run planned. I have run out of original ideas and am open to any suggestions for trails.
Seth

Postby Slogger » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Seth wrote:
MuddyH3 wrote:so are there any hxc runs in the works for the near future? maybe we should get something going. official or non. just a thought. :D

Any run planned by an HXC member can be an official run. You don't have to have me plan it. However, it shouldn't be too long before I get a new run planned. I have run out of original ideas and am open to any suggestions for trails.

Maybe at least a Meet and Greet for the So-Cal Chapter in the future since it is a new year?
Simply,
Slogger

http://www.adventureslogger.com
http://www.counterpointphotography.com

2006 H3 Boulder Gray - Adventure / Lux
Add-ons (So Far): •OEM Brush Guards •Thule Roof-Rack •Rola Safari Rack •285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
Slogger
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: H3 - Adventure/LUX

Postby MuddyH3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Slogger wrote:Maybe at least a Meet and Greet for the So-Cal Chapter in the future since it is a new year?

yeah, that sounds like a great idea!
:yup:
MuddyH3
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:06 am

MuddyH3 wrote:
Slogger wrote:Maybe at least a Meet and Greet for the So-Cal Chapter in the future since it is a new year?

yeah, that sounds like a great idea!
:yup:

I have always wanted to plan one, but we are so spread out. Unfortunately for me, most of the gang is located in OC. You OC guys should plan a meet and great. How does it go, plan it and they will come.
Seth

Postby ronb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:58 am

john bull is really fun and one of the more challenging trails in the big bear area. It's always a good idea to keep the group limited in number (why I usually bail from runs) and with only the more experienced members who have done the trail before or at least been on something more technical than Gold Mountain (not trying to be exclusive, it's just an interest in self-preservation and getting home at a decent hour...which in many cases is synonymous). Otherwise it's a blood bath with other groups that have to wait on ya -- and they do get cranky!

The last time I did it was with a small group of Toyota Land Cruisers (lifted, bigger tires, experienced wheelers) and jeeps -- we did it in under 2 hrs. The time before that I was with a much bigger group and it took almost 8 hrs and pissed of a lot of people. The last time the hxc was there it was a pretty big group of vehicles and I think it took all day and into the night for some. No one's fault, conditions change...less experienced wheelers need a bit more time or extra help -- just saying that a smaller group can roll with the punches and move out of the way easier.

a bit of useless trivia for some...this is precisely why the H1 Psycho Squad was started. Small groups doing more technical trails quickly so we can do several in a day, not just one. With the old So Cal Hummer Club one would show up on a trail run with 25+ truck and take 10 hrs to do a trail that should have taken 5. Painful.
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Return to Trail Talk