The Lethal Edge

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Re: The Lethal Edge

Postby PhilD » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Charles Helm wrote:I carry a small Boker ceramic most of the time. The light weight is great in dress pants. I also have a larger one I got for field use because it is supposed to hold an edge so long. I am always a bit leery because the blades are pretty brittle -- my first one broke in half.
I'm not convinced about ceramic blades either. I like the concept, just not sure I'd trust one for any real work. Your "broke in half" experience is is one I've heard before. They make good letter openers though :lol:

And I have not seen as much benefit from the ceramic edge-holding as I expected.
I'm far from a steel expert, but there are plenty of steels out there that hold a good edge and can still be easily sharpened, unlike ceramic.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Charles Helm wrote:And in all the knife talk, I forgot to say -- very nice camera work!
Thanks. That was my first attempt with a new lens and I'm still learning. I'm going to try and do some better pics today.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Charles Helm » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:24 pm

PhilD wrote:They make good letter openers though :lol:

That mostly what mine does! :yup:
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H2 SUT

Postby Seth » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:37 am

Phil, I like that ceramic knife. Is it true that they can pass through medal detectors without setting it off?
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby PhilD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Seth wrote:Phil, I like that ceramic knife. Is it true that they can pass through medal detectors without setting it off?
If it didn't have a titanium handle, yes. Although many of the non military ceramic blades have some metal content to prevent the obvious security issue.

Should you really want to pass through a metal detector with a knife, then getting a ceramic blade with no metal content is not a big issue, but obviously you will likely be breaking the law and up to no good, and my advise would be not to.

The Stinger in the background of pic 4 would be a better choice if you require a weapon passed a metal detector. It is 100% plastic, most people don't know what they are, and is a very effective less lethal weapon.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:30 pm

PhilD wrote:
Seth wrote:Phil, I like that ceramic knife. Is it true that they can pass through medal detectors without setting it off?
If it didn't have a titanium handle, yes. Although many of the non military ceramic blades have some metal content to prevent the obvious security issue.

Should you really want to pass through a metal detector with a knife, then getting a ceramic blade with no metal content is not a big issue, but obviously you will likely be breaking the law and up to no good, and my advise would be not to.

The Stinger in the background of pic 4 would be a better choice if you require a weapon passed a metal detector. It is 100% plastic, most people don't know what they are, and is a very effective less lethal weapon.

Wasn't really wanting to do it, just was curious. :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby PhilD » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Seth wrote:Wasn't really wanting to do it, just was curious. :lol:
I didn't think you did, but I'd have been amiss in pointing out that it is not a very good idea anyway.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby f5fstop » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:58 pm

Sharp photos, Phil. What lens was used?
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby PhilD » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 pm

f5fstop wrote:What lens was used?
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR lens. I 'd only just received it the day I took the pics, and I'm still learning the best way to shoot with it, but so far I like it :)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby f5fstop » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:05 am

Great portrait lens for a film camera; I wonder how it would be at 158mm? Sure does produce some sharp photos.

I only have one VR lens and love it (70-200 F/2.8). Sure does help get some sharp photos. I have noticed that my 'pictures' using my 28-70 F/2.8 on my D200 or D300 are not as sharp when hand-held, like they were years ago when I was younger. For 'photos' I want to print, I have to use a tripod and wired remote to get the sharpness needed. The VR does help to replace a tripod.

I was disapointed that the 24-70 F/2.8 did not have VR technology when it came out. I wish Nikon would release one in that range with VR (that is a good lens). (Need a job first to buy it :D )
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby PhilD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:14 am

f5fstop wrote:Great portrait lens for a film camera; I wonder how it would be at 158mm? Sure does produce some sharp photos.
I was going to go with the 60mm Micro lens, but was told that I'd often end up been too close to the subject and would likely cast shadows. After using the 105 for a few days I think the 60 would most probably be a better choice for macro photography. But you get more flexibility out of the 105, as you say it is pretty good for portraits too.

I was using a tripod for those pics, but I've found the VR on my 18-200 to be very useful. The only thing I don't like about the 18-200 is that it is hard to get sharp images on anything remotely close even with VR. But for me it makes a good jack of all trades lens.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Alec W » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:49 am

I have one lens, it came with the camera and it works great. The camera also came with another longer zoom lens but dropped it in a puddle and never bothered to replace it. I’m almost glad I don’t get into the technical side of photography much or I think I’d be spending a lot of money on things I don’t really need ;)
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby PhilD » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 pm

PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bellvis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:43 pm

How are spyderco knives?
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby PhilD » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Bellvis wrote:How are spyderco knives?
Good, and good value for money. I stabbed myself with a Delica once, right into the bone, and thankfully as the knife was so sharp it was a really clean cut and fixed with some super glue. Take note of the blade material, sometimes they offer the same knife with different materials, usually a good one and a cheaper one. Generally speaking with Spyderco you get what you pay for.

A really good deal right now is the Kershaw Zing with grooved blade. About $40 or so and available with groovy orange or black grips. I don't usually like Kershaw knives, nothing wrong with them just not for me, but I just ordered an orange Zing, as it is a/ such a cool looking knife, and b/ a pretty good carry knife that you aren't afraid of hurting/using.

KS1735[large].jpg
KS1735[large].jpg (57.57 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Pursuits