Runners, Joggers?

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Re: Runners, Joggers?

Postby PhilD » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:58 am

tomp wrote:The best advice I can offer is to get a heart rate monitor watch and train with it
Just started doing that a couple of weeks ago, so going through some learning. I'm at 138-142 while running which is about 80% MHR and just between aerobic and anaerobic. Burning plenty of calories, about 700-750 per run according to my watch, but most probably not burning a lot of fat. Resting rate is 50.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bellvis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Any tips or suggestions on how to stop shin splints or prevent them? :cry:

I run streets, tracks and parkways with very comfortable New Balance shoes.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby Charles Helm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Bellvis wrote:Any tips or suggestions on how to stop shin splints or prevent them? :cry:

I prevented mine by walking instead of running!

I have been told you can strengthen the muscles to prevent it but it did not work for me. Maybe I was not dedicated enough. :duh:
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H2 SUT

Postby PhilD » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Bellvis wrote:Any tips or suggestions on how to stop shin splints or prevent them? :cry:
Lots of calcium and protein, and try running downhill and stretching the anterior shin.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bellvis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:27 pm

PhilD wrote:
Lots of calcium and protein, and try running downhill and stretching the anterior shin.

Hhhmmmm, I do try to take in a good amount of calcium and protein. I will look up how to stretch the anterior shin.... Thanks.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby Jeff_H3 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:00 pm

When you run don't stomp you feet. It is expecially hard when you get tired. Strech. There are some resistance training techniques that work too.
Last edited by Jeff_H3 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby caljon88 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:37 am

I have a running addiction also. I have been running minimum of 2 miles every day for the past 533 day. Usually have long runs twice a week of 10 or more miles. I have run a few ultra races with my longest so far being a 40 miler last year (8hrs35mins) and 3 other 50k run (fastest was 5hrs15mins). I'm not sure what this year will bring since I have started to run in Vibram Fivefinger shoes. trying to go minimal shoe is an adjustment but WELL worth it. Turning 40 :( this year is making me think of a 50 miler maybe. :/
Most miles are on the road but I love the trail.

Bellvis, Five Fingers are a good way to help with shine splints. www.birthdayshoes.com will get you a little info on them. We don't need shoes to support our feet or body, we just need to remember how to run the way we're meant too. The feet can support them selves which can really reduce the impact on the rest of the body.

A better thread may be the question... What is the difference between a runner and a jogger?
2009 Black H3 Adventure
GOBI Stealth rack with ladder and HiLift
OEM vent visors
Cobra 75 WX CB
Much more to come.......
caljon88
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2009 Hummer H3 Adv

Postby big2dabank » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:33 pm

caljon88 wrote:A better thread may be the question... What is the difference between a runner and a jogger?

Well, I am not either one, but I have aspirations of being getting my ass out of bed and getting in a quick run before work. Problem is that means waking up at 5am and with a new born in the house that aint hapenning for a while. I put on a quick 20 pounds while the wife was pregnant, so I need to drop that and loose some of my beer belly. I am 37 and this has to be the worst condition I have ever ben in in my entire life. This thread has got me thinking about getting off my ass.
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby timmyj » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Quick note on the shin splints, When they start to bother me and I have had them really bad at times, I will do 100 toe taps with each foot before I run and I have not really had a problem since. I just leave my heal on the ground and tap the toe and it works the muscles that bothered me.

I have been running for the last 2 seasons and have started and completed the Chicago Marathon the last 2 years. I did it for the first time as a challenge to myself after having brain surgery. I am now a few months short of 38 years old and am registered to run my 3rd marathon. I will have an 18 week training plan that I will start in June, until then I will run 3-5 miles a day 4-5 days a week. When I first started running, I could barely make it around the block without feeling like I would die. Now I feel confident that after building a mileage base, I could pretty easily run for 3-4 hours without much trouble. The biggest thing for me was getting a really good pair of shoes that where fitted for me. In Chicago we have a store called Fleet Feet and when you go there to get shoes, they analyze how you walk and run and fit you for a shoe specific to your running style. The other thing that I will not run any type of distances without is body glide. Without it, I am in major pain after 30 minutes or so of running. The last thing are good socks and clothes that are not cotton. You would be amazed at the difference they make.
timmyj
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3

Postby caljon88 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:01 am

timmyj wrote:I've been running for the last 2 seasons and have started and completed the Chicago Marathon the last 2 years.

you ran Chicago when the heat was so bad they shut it down then right? That was a brutal hot day, I ran a 50k that day and it was horribly HOT as :evil: !

Good luck on your training and post your experience when you're done. Glad to hear your running after surgery and making the most out of life. I'm sure with brain surgery you might as well say a second chance.
2009 Black H3 Adventure
OEM vent visors
Cobra 75 WX CB
Much more to come.......
caljon88
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby timmyj » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 am

caljon88 wrote:
timmyj wrote:I've been running for the last 2 seasons and have started and completed the Chicago Marathon the last 2 years.

you ran Chicago when the heat was so bad they shut it down then right? That was a brutal hot day, I ran a 50k that day and it was horribly HOT as :evil: !

Good luck on your training and post your experience when you're done. Glad to hear your running after surgery and making the most out of life. I'm sure with brain surgery you might as well say a second chance.

They stopped the race for people that were behind a certain pace in 2007. It was incredibly hot that day. I ran it in 2008 and 2009. 08 was still pretty warm (in the 80's if I recall), but last year was perfect. It was in the mid 30's at the start. I just had a follow up with my surgeon a coupld of weeks ago (4 years since my surgery) and it felt so good to give him the pictures of me at the finish.

Here is my finish picture:

Here is a pic right after my surgery:
timmyj
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3

Postby caljon88 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 pm

:yuck: that's a serious cut, WOW. Keep it going bro!
2009 Black H3 Adventure
OEM vent visors
Cobra 75 WX CB
Much more to come.......
caljon88
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Previous

Return to Outdoor Pursuits