Photography and Cameras

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Re: Photography and Cameras

Postby PhilD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Don't if you've done this already, but try using a tripod and a smaller aperture to increase the depth of field.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rich » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm

PhilD wrote:Don't if you've done this already, but try using a tripod and a smaller aperture to increase the depth of field.

I was just reading that same advice on a photography forum. I'll give it a shot.

I did see some results from that method and they were less than stellar, though maybe acceptable for what I want.

Here's a nice shot. 60mm lens that you mentioned earlier.

:o :o :o

Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby PhilD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Here's a close-up pic:

macro_test3.jpg
macro_test3.jpg (234.43 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rich » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:43 pm

assuming thats with the 60mm lens?

Other settings?
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Postby PhilD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 pm

That was with the 105mm, but I get better results from the 60. I'll try and dig out some pics...

Aperture Priority
F/3.4
ISO 200
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

That is why I like my pocket camera so well. It does so many things and you don't have to memorize a manual or take a class to know how to use it. I will admit that if someone with a SLR knows what they are doing, they do take great pictures. I'll stick to my pocket camera.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Hunner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Rich maybe the focus system on that 90 is having a hard time with the subject if it does not have enough contrast in the area you are focusing. I forgot which system it uses. If it is the same as the D300 then that is not it. Could still be a shift in the milinium co-phased aurora borialis infrared magnetic spectrum 8)
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Hunner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 pm

I replied to the discussion of the 10.5 wide angle over here. I did not want to further clutter up Nugget's mods.
Hope this is not on here somewhere in 28 pages. I found that the 10.5 was a fun lens. I tried several programs to correct images that because the subject was a little too close or at an angle or was near the edge it was distored. This is a "fisheye" lens. That is the effect they produce. The programs I tried even the Nikon Capture essentially "cropped" the image when it corrected it. It appears in the EXIF file as a 15mm. Well I decided for my purposes 12mm on a digital sensor that multiplies it 1.5 times makes it about an 18mm, according to the EXIF file. In all my years of shooting 35mm, 28mm was about as wide as I could go without the "effects" of wide angle.
I shot a few wide shots where I had the horizon level and there were not up close subjects to add distortion with the 10.5. Very few. Here are a couple one corrected and one not using DXO.
I be back.......
Ok there is some info here.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8013&start=165
gone again.....
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Any tips for shooting dragsters in action?

Rich

Postby PhilD » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm no expert, but at night time you need light, which you can get from high aperture, low shutter speed, or high ISO. In this case lowering the shutter speed will produce less than desirable results, so try using shutter priority with higher ISO settings, then mess around with the shutter speed until you get the desired results. You want to find the speed that captures the image without any blur, yet still allows in max light.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Slogger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:31 am

Just remember Shutter Speed and Aperture are inversely proportional. The shutter is the time light is let in; Aperture is the amount of light that is let in. If the image is exposed correctly, and you increase the shutter speed (which really means decrease the time for light to hit sensor/film), you will have to decrease the aperture (which really increases amount of light to hit sensor/film).

Shutter Speed will freeze or blur action;
Aperture will increase or decrease your depth of field. Depth of Field is what is in focus. The smaller the aperture number (f2.4) the larger the opening in the lens that is letting light in, the less depth of field you will be able to have, meaning you will have selective focus. The larger the number (f16 or above) the smaller the opening in the lens meaning less light to strike the sensor/film, but the more depth of field you will have. Think of an Ansel Adams picture, 2 inches to infinity were in focus. (He would use f64)

ISO/ASA: This is the sensitivity of the film/sensor.
ISO 100 or less is considered slow speed, meaning you need more light. ISO 800 and above is considered high speed. The slower your ISO the more clear, vibrant and fine the image will be. There is little or no noise/film grain. The faster your ISO the more noise you will get. With film you'd get larger film grains in the pictures, digital format you will get a lot of noise, kind of splotchy looking.

When your ISO speed is doubled your exposure settings are halved. So if you were shooting something with ISO 100 with a shutter of 1/500 at f4, you change your ISO to 200 you can either go to 1/1000 at f4 or 1/500 at f5.6 (either faster shutter or better depth of field) the exposure is the same. You can typically get away with over exposing or under exposing by 2 stops. Beyond that you can try to fix in post production (photoshop)

Sorry if this sounds technical, I just started typing and realized I may have gone a bit overboard.

The best thing for night time action shots is:
a tripod or monopod
a fast, long lens - fast just means it has a low f/stop so you can have a fast shutter speed (inverse proportions) long just means a telephoto (105mm or more), it flattens the image so depth of field is as much as a factor.
Shoot with a ISO of 800 or more. If you can get a way with 400 go for it, the image will be clean.

Having digital cameras now means you can just shoot and experiment on the fly without having to go through rolls of film, so just shoot and see what you get. Have fun and post the pics you take!
Simply,
Slogger

http://www.adventureslogger.com
http://www.counterpointphotography.com

2006 H3 Boulder Gray - Adventure / Lux
Add-ons (So Far): •OEM Brush Guards •Thule Roof-Rack •Rola Safari Rack •285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
Slogger
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: H3 - Adventure/LUX

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks for the detailed reply guys. I had posted not long befoe going so didn't get to use the advice. I just set it to shutter priority and got what I got.

Have fun and post the pics you take!

Nothing special. Much of the time I either couldn't get close enough or was shooting through a haze of smoke. The top fuel dragsters proved nearly impossible to shoot. I had no ear plugs, no place to buy them there :duh: and the full on dragsters are unbearable without plugging your ears.

That said, here's a few.......(much of this is zoomed way in, in picasa and cropped)

BTW, the cars in this first pic are moving well over 200mph. Try to get this shot with your P&S Seth. ;) :lol:

063.JPG
063.JPG (232.18 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
151.JPG
151.JPG (303.84 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
187.JPG
187.JPG (281.91 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
106.JPG
106.JPG (228.11 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Here's one for TOR
205.JPG
205.JPG (266.6 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
238.JPG
238.JPG (282.89 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Rich

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 am

couple more....

243.JPG
243.JPG (327.99 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
250.JPG
250.JPG (296.79 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
226.JPG
226.JPG (288.49 KiB) Viewed 1827 times

I heart the 50-200mm lens. :lol:

028.JPG
028.JPG (304.39 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
041.JPG
041.JPG (312.38 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Rich

Postby Seth » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 am

Rich wrote:BTW, the cars in this first pic are moving well over 200mph. Try to get this shot with your P&S Seth. ;) :lol:

Shoot, my iPhone could take that picture. :where: :lol: :lol: You may not be able to see much detail, but it would take it. :lol: :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby PhilD » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Okay, in the day time, that changes things, for the better :-)

Nice pics, I think they came out well 8)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Pursuits