Photography and Cameras

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Re: Photography and Cameras

Postby Hunner » Tue May 12, 2009 7:33 pm

One scenario. The guy I sold my D70 to got that when he stuck some odd brand CF card in there that had some plastic flashing material, I guess out of the mold over one of the holes and it bent a pin in the drawer. Not good. I removed the drawer for the card and circuit board, straightened the pin without it breaking. The CF card inserted fully and would eject ahha(don't try this at home!) However the camera failed to reboot. Nikon repair says if the pins short across another one it usually results in popping something on the mobo, so $280 minimum to repair that and go thru everything or it makes an expensive paper weight. With used ones going for around that price or less. Ewwww
Hope I did not post this on somewhere before 26 pages back.

Moving on we got into cameras on our Bird site so I put this over here.
Here is a quick test I did using a Kenko 14TC on the 70-200.
Results show up best at the extreme end. I adjusted them so they are still at the right scale of mm coverage of each. Not much bigger at 280 but some. Image can look slightly sharper with the TC but after playing around some if the 200 is blown up a little more looks about the same. It's the magnification.
I did notice on both shots at 200 or 280 with TC I wanted to boost contrast in post.
It's a little hard compressed to see the detail. If anybody is interested I can email the full file. I would say IQ is very close but not much bigger image for the money. The Nikon 1.7 again, is only average $20 more than the Nikon 1.4 but still $579. The Kenko 1.4 is about $200!
My first test with a NIkon 14TC was not conclusive. I will have to do that again. Sorry couldn't find any bikini subjects Ms California was busy.....
Stay tuned
Attachments
k14280vs200ac.jpg
(437.43 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
k14280vs200ac_resize.jpg
k14280vs200ac_resize.jpg (349.57 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Last edited by Hunner on Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Hunner » Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm going to follow that with a Nikon test 1.4E TC. The results are alot easier and more correctly viewed on this end at full file but I just wanted to post about the difference. Im not totally sure this test is valid but does show possibilites. I will update it if the sun ever come out!@!! They both look very close but neither is tack sharp. I need sun, come on sun. I would like to shoot all three convertors of the same subject but can't get them all at the same time.
Attachments
Nikon14ETC vs 200_resize.JPG
Nikon14ETC vs 200_resize.JPG (320.61 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Rich » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Don't believe the stuff you hear about the D90's HD video capability not being up to snuff. It may not run with an HD camcorder for focusing but it's better than my camcorder. I got spectacular results with it today.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby beavis » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:43 am

Hunner wrote:I'm going to follow that with a Nikon test 1.4E TC. The results are alot easier and more correctly viewed on this end at full file but I just wanted to post about the difference. Im not totally sure this test is valid but does show possibilites. I will update it if the sun ever come out!@!! They both look very close but neither is tack sharp. I need sun, come on sun. I would like to shoot all three convertors of the same subject but can't get them all at the same time.

Fantastic shots Hunner of shrubbery exhibiting periclinal chimeras of the apical meristem!

Or in other words: That is why the bush is showing two colors, yellow and green.

more info here:

http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/HOR ... eras05.pdf
beavis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Spyder Kar

Postby Robo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:13 pm

"The knights who say 'Nigh' demaaaaannnnnnd, ANOTHER SHRUBBERY! and placed just above the other for a nice two tier effect and a little path down the middle. And THEENNNNNN, you must cut down the largest tree in the forest wiiiiiiiiithhhh, A HERRING!"

:lol:
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby Rich » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 am

So why can't I get a super close up pic with the D90? Using the 18-105 lens.

My friend was telling me I need a macro lens. He said another option was basically similar to reading glasses for the lens. Screwed on like a filter? He said he was unsure if they are available anymore. He used one on his 35mm camera.

So what are my options?
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Postby Sewie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:30 pm

How "super close up"? That lens should be able to focus to 1.5 ft.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Hunner » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Some of those zooms are best to back up zoom in to max and physically move to where it will focus and that is it. Use the smallest aperature you can to get the most depth of field. It is very shallow with a zoom all the way out. Sometimes if your subject does not bite you can get close with a wide angle that has more depth of field. Those diopters you screw on the front really reduce the depth of field. A true macro does good but you want one that you can get back from the subject so as not to scare them or get bit. :lol:
The 60mm is an example good for static subjects but you get close to get full frame.
The 105 gives you a little wiggle room. Weird about that one is the VR does not work in macro mode??
This first shot is with a 18-105 is this sharper than the results you are getting? Usually barcodes will crap out and bleed together if an image is not sharp. There is just so much resolution available based on the sensor you have. This is one place where pixles DO come into play and the finer resolution.
Attachments
DAH_2691_resize.JPG
DAH_2691_resize.JPG (203.86 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Rich » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Sewie wrote:How "super close up"? That lens should be able to focus to 1.5 ft.

Inches. For example I wanted to use the D90 to take this pic.

(I ended up taking it with our P&S but would have liked better quality)

When I back away a couple of feet I can't seem to get it to focus on the coin. I mean it looks okay until I crop it down at which point it's a little blury and I'm getting better results from the P&S.

I gotta be doing something wrong.
Rich

Postby Hunner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 am

Could be a back focus problem with the lens. A D300 will fix that. I don't know if a D90 will.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby big2dabank » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:03 am

I'll have to try that with my D5000. I don't recal having an issue at that focal length.
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby Hunner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:12 am

Rich, try backing off and zoom in, instead of getting real close first.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby PhilD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:30 am

FWIW I have Nikon 105mm VR ED and Nikon 60mm ED micro lenses and the the 60mm is far more useful for macro work in my view, as the 105 requires you to be further away for most shots. They are both 1:1, but the 60mm will get you as close as 0.6' to the subject, while the 105 puts you at 1'.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Hunner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 am

I thought you had both and would chime in. I use my big lenses outside as close ups as I cannot always get close to the subject. I had an old Nikon micro as they call it. It was 50mm but of course manual focus. The front element was recessed but you could practically foucus at the end of the lens. If I put a filter on it, it would focus on dust on the surface of that.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Rich » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Hunner wrote:Rich, try backing off and zoom in, instead of getting real close first.

I tried that. It works fine until I crop down to show a super close up with high detail. The object won't be in perfect focus.

I should also note that I can't manually focus up super close either so I'm guessing I'm simply out of range of what my lens will do.

I may need a macro lens but if I google those I get stuff I don't understand or real pricey lenses. :wall: I'm not looking for professional grade pics. Just something better than what my P&S will do.
Rich

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Pursuits