Photography and Cameras

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Photography and Cameras

Postby Jeff_H3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:08 pm

I know some of you have some really nice cameras and take some really nice photographs.

My father-in-law just got a $800 dSLR from Costco, and I am amazed on how much better it is than my $400 Canon SD500 which is a really nice point and shoot when I bought it.

I don't think I can afford to have another expensive hobby, so the high end $7,000 dSLR body is kind of out of the question. What is a good digital SLR for a under a grand that is good for a beginner. Something for vacations, outdoors, hiking, wheeling.

Also I probably will be playing with his dSLR before I get one of my own. Any good websites where I can learn more about how to use the camera better.
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: Photography and Cameras

Postby Sewie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 pm

I was in the same boat before the spring Moab trip. My point & shoot was taking a dump and I wanted to get an "entry level" dSLR. I was down to a Nikon D60 and Canon Rebel XTi. After talking to the owner of the camera shop I ended up with the Nikon. It has all the same features, is a little more expensive, but comes with a better lens. Plus most of the photogs on here seem pretty happy with their high-end Nikons.

I haven't really played around with it much and figured out all the bell and whistles, but its miles better than my P&S. ;)
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Seth » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:04 pm

I always hear about the Nikons as well. I think anything in the D series is the way to go.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby H3slate » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:07 pm

At my Costco we carry both the Nikon D60 and the Canon XTi. They both sell well, but have gotten better feedback for the Nikon. Costco has a value pack with an extra lens if anyone is interested.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11279309&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
2009 H3 Championship Edition
2006 Slate Blue H3 Adventure

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
H3slate
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby The Other Rob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:34 pm

I tell ya what.. I've been a believer in SLR and big glass for a long time, but I've decided they are just to bulky for trail use.. I just bought a Canon Power Shot SX100 from Dell and so far I'm much more impressed with it than the Digital Rebel I have at 3x the price..
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=A1660970
10x real zoom (300mm equiv) and a total of 40x digital zoom.. And the the Image Stabilization even shots made by hand at that zoom level look pretty dang sharp..

Will try and make so shots with it this weekend and post..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Seth » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:47 pm

I completely agree with you Rob in reference to using the camera for trails and outdoor fun. SLRs and other fancy cameras are just way too bulky and annoying for simple point and shoot type of situations. Long gone are the days of carrying the camera around your neck and looking like a tourist. I prefer the tiny cameras for these types of things. It's not like you are trying to capture award winning images, just memories to have and share.

Then comes in the amateur photographer looking to take pictures as a hobby and not just doing it for the memories. That is when the SLR comes into play. These people are looking for the crisp clear images and the ability to do things with the images. I don't get the whole artistic part of it and the enjoyment, but I sure can appreciate the end product.

Thanks to people like Hunner, f5fstop, and Jose, I have seen images of our country that really tell a different story. I appreciate the true photographers eye and enjoy seeing what they post online.

Pewterbird, I hope you find a camera that is right for you. It does seem that the Nikon is the way to go.
Seth

Postby PhilD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:20 pm

I like the Nikon D SLR's. I had a D70, until I drove over it the other day :wall: and really liked it, simple to use and took great pics.

Don't forget the lens, a good lens will get the best out of the camera. I had a 18-200mm lens which pretty much meant I only needed one lens for everything.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:23 pm

Seth wrote:I completely agree with you Rob in reference to using the camera for trails and outdoor fun. SLRs and other fancy cameras are just way too bulky and annoying for simple point and shoot type of situations.
X2 The little Nikon L series happy snappers take some great pics and are cheap enough that if you break one it doesn't hurt.

Another happy snapper that looks good for off-road and outdoor use is either the Olympus 770SW or 1030SW, shock proof, water proof, freeze proof, crush proof, etc.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Alec W » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

I’m not sure I agree that dSLRs are too bulky for trail use.

I was in awe of F5's equipment last week. He carries a couple of very high end cameras and big lenses and seemed to be comfortable using them on trails.

I’ve been ogling the more expensive dSLRs lately but can’t justify it right now (ok that means I don't have the cash right now ;)).
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby PhilD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Alec W wrote:I’m not sure I agree that dSLRs are too bulky for trail use.
I think a lot depends on how willing you are to risk losing them or damaging them. Andy C had his D70 and D200 out all the time when wheeling and had no problems/issues with the size, but he didn't baby them either. Oddly enough I didn't use my D70 much on the trail as I was worried about damaging it, I should have been more worried about my absent minded and forgetful behavior :lol:
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Alec W » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:07 pm

PhilD wrote:
I think a lot depends on how willing you are to risk losing them or damaging them. Andy C had his D70 and D200 out all the time when wheeling and had no problems/issues with the size, but he didn't baby them either. Oddly enough I didn't use my D70 much on the trail as I was worried about damaging it, I should have been more worried about my absent minded and forgetful behavior :lol:

Exactly, may as well take them wheeling and smash them up on the trail vs. running them over in the driveway :lol: :lol: :P
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Seth » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:07 pm

I was in awe of F5's equipment last week. He carries a couple of very high end cameras and big lenses and seemed to be comfortable using them on trails.

I’ve been ogling the more expensive dSLRs lately but can’t justify it right now (ok that means I don't have the cash right now ;)).

Those who find it enjoyable to use cameras I am sure love to lug their camera around take breathtaking pictures. However, for me, I have been injured more times than I can count because I had to protect my camera. Falling, tripping, slipping on ice, etc. I personally prefer the slim camera that will fit in my pocket so I don't have to carry it around and can crawl on the rocks without worry.
Seth

Postby PhilD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Seth wrote:I personally prefer the slim camera that will fit in my pocket so I don't have to carry it around and can crawl on the rocks without worry.
A pocket happy snapper works best for me too. I invariably get out the vehicle to spot people and walk the trail, having a camera in the pocket means it is their ready to be used and not 1/4 mile away in the vehicle. Spotting with a camera hanging around the neck can become a pain too, especially when looking under the vehicle, etc.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Alec W » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I don’t spot people unless they specifically ask me. I’m not very comfortable about it and not very good at it either. Given that, I can lug the SLR around and take pics ;)
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Robo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Seth wrote: I have been injured more times than I can count because I had to protect my camera. Falling, tripping, slipping on ice, etc.

Have you considered protective padding, or maybe a grace and balance class, yoga possibly? :P :P :lol:

But you're right, expensive equipment (other than your rig) can be very cumbersome on the trail and that equipment always seems to find a way to get busted (including the rig) :wall:
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Next

Return to Outdoor Pursuits