Go Pro camera and accessories

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Go Pro camera and accessories

Postby Hunner » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:09 am

We got started discussing these cameras in another thread about an adventure and unless I missed it there was not one started on this. I will look more.
These little cameras are great. I waited for the third generation and grabbed one. Good for trail shots and videos.
Moving on;
Got my Blade 350QX quad yesterday and already had to start modding. All kinds of possibilities.

My first impression is that this thing does just what I was hoping. I can fly it right out of the box, sort of. My friend at the Hobby Shop ordered BNF. Now I have to learn a new language. RTF is ready to fly and BNF is Bind and fly. He figured most of his customers would already have radios so got them without.
I jumped up a level or two on the radio anticipating an offroad rig and maybe a boat. I'm not getting any younger and need more toys!
With some help from the distributor we got it synced up.
Wow is all I can say. I can fly smooth and controlled for my type of use and it is a blast.
I even mounted a 100 lumen flashlight on the GoPro mount using a bike mount and some mods and my metal fishing leader as a safety so I could get in some night flying. The led status lights are really neat also.
I would have shot pictures flying of the quad but I was so involved having fun I put it off. Then rain started moving in so I had to quit.
So now my plans for today to get some shots of the H3 in the bush will have to wait.
I am going to my daughters dance/my photo studio to try some inside flying. Probably will be a challenge as it won't get GPS lock inside for smart mode. I can fly stability mode fairly well so, lookout!
Got my Blade 350QX quad yesterday and already had to start modding. All kinds of possibilities.

My first impression is that this thing does just what I was hoping. I can fly it right out of the box, sort of. My friend at the Hobby Shop ordered BNF. Now I have to learn a new language. RTF is ready to fly and BNF is Bind and fly. He figured most of his customers would already have radios so got them without.
I jumped up a level or two on the radio anticipating an offroad rig and maybe a boat. I'm not getting any younger and need more toys!
With some help from the distributor we got it synced up.
Wow is all I can say. I can fly smooth and controlled for my type of use and it is a blast.
I even mounted a 100 lumen flashlight on the GoPro mount using a bike mount and some mods and my metal fishing leader as a safety so I could get in some night flying. The led status lights are really neat also.
I would have shot pictures flying of the quad but I was so involved having fun I put it off. Then rain started moving in so I had to quit.
So now my plans for today to get some shots of the H3 in the bush will have to wait.
I am going to my daughters dance/my photo studio to try some inside flying. Probably will be a challenge as it won't get GPS lock inside for smart mode. I can fly stability mode fairly well so, lookout!
One thing we preordered are some longer landing struts so the GoPro clears the ground a little more.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Re: Go Pro camera and accessories

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:55 am

Great idea on starting a GoPro thread and very cool Blade. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. One of our guys on the F.E.W. is the lead camera man for the local Fox station and was working on a drone for that trip but it didn't happen in time. What is the range of the Wifi so you can see what you are shooting when on the quad?

I got the Hero3 black edition before the trip back in March but for this trip a few weeks ago I also got a used Hero2 so I could run both. Quality from both are exceptional and I was shocked how good they look on a 65" TV. Not sure if it's the difference in the models or shooting through the windshield but there was a color difference between the footage of the two. The 3 was mounted to the windshield shooting from inside and the 2 was mounted on the driver side mirror.

Picked up a gun case at Gander Mountain with the foam inserts on sale for $15 recently and made a case for the cameras and accessories, will have to post a pic when I get a chance.

As far as accessories the best mount I have is the RAM-B-166-A-GOP1U suction cup mount. Holds great and allows all kinds of flexibility for aiming the camera.
http://www.amazon.com/RAM-B-166-A-GOP1U ... +cup+mount

I also have this zip tie mount which is great for unusual mounting requirements but would be nice if you could swivel the mounting head.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Hunner » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 am

Not sure yet on the wi-fi range personally and there may be an issue with the wi-fi controller unless somehow you can make sure you are on different freq. Then of course there would be the delay that could get me in trouble.
I could go to 5.8gig for the video.

I saw that zip mount but wondered if it would jiggle.
I have lots of Ram mounts in my truck and my H3 for just about everything. Good stuff.

It raining like, well one of those funny sayins and expect 2-3 inches so I won't be flying outside.

I will bring those links over here from your adventure thread where we posted some good info for people looking at this for offroad.

On the GoPro if you get the app you can use your phone or ipad to monitor what it is doing.
There is a 2 second delay so it messes with your mind if you are driving and looking at it! lol
I also got the extended battery and a floaty for using it on the boat up the mast and a mess of other options.

One thing I rigged up and you can find down there is a wire fishing leader, snip off the swivel at one end and thread the loop thru the door metal bar on the housing and wrap around your brush guard and fasten with the snap clip. (just in case)

There are also some tether mounting plates I think I will get that are secured to the lens mount.
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-LANYARD- ... inum+mount

If you want options this would work only maybe get the better hose clamps that are camlock.
http://www.camzilla.com.au/shop/product ... 1&item=201
There are also some better mounts for what we do. I'm not sure how long that "quick release" plastic bracket will last in the sun and taking shock.
Of course the housing could fail at the connection and I'm going to examine that often.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merch ... -on-mounts
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merch ... -on-mounts
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Good point on the freq. want to make sure you are conflicting with the controller for the quad. I would be great if you could have the remote view though, would hate to think you were getting these incredible shots so you hover in a particular area to catch everything only to find out your shot was a little high :wall: :lol:

Another very good point on the delay. It's one thing when your driving and you can really tell what is going on but completely another when flying something remotely :o
Mark

Postby Hunner » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

The Wallkera had integrated FPV and view screen on the controller, for more money of course. Local Hobbie Shop said there was support and parts problems in the past with other models.
Not sure about all that but buying local and having HIM for support,,,,, priceless. Like setting up the binding, looks straight forward but when using a different controller than the one that comes with it and us not knowing some info was a challenge but works so smooth now.
He buys thru Horizon Hobbies which is here in the US and picks up the phone and talks to techs. We did it 3 times, they love this stuff and want to see some Hummer video.

There are brackets for most all of these controllers that will hold a phone as a view finder or 8 inch screens so it's going to be fun to play with. That can be set up with the GoPro app but again not sure of the distance.
That is why I wanted FPV, to frame a shot and hover, I'm working on it, just takes time.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 pm

Well if you searched for this you might want to read an update.
I use my iphon 5 velcroed to the TX box for a view finder. Great for hover pictures and to start a video. It did not seem to be a problem with the 2.4 G and I also used the ipad connected at the same time to check for interference. None
There is that delay though in this configuration.
Only option I know of is wired from the GoPro to a 5.8G tx and a receiver. More research needs to be done but these things are out there now. First batch is sold out on all the sites I checked. Maybe by December there could be more.

Lost GPS control in SAFE mode today in a tight spot between two houses and got an altitude rise of a couple of feet and smacked a pine tree limb. Whoops, broke a skid and had to break out the duct tape. Silver matched so now it's "copter tape". Tall landing skids are on order.............
The GoPro survived.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:42 am

Glad to hear there wasn't any interference. Are you getting the hang of flying it?

Break out the duct tape, fixes everything :lol:
Mark

Postby Hunner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

I guess this got off on a quadcopter report but I will include more GoPro discussion as it relates to this and the H3 for trips.
1080p at 60 frames is good looking quality.

Yeah, I was trying to learn here at the house in tight settings. I would lose GPS at times and the transition got exciting.
I went to an open park yesterday late and nobody around. I was able to let it go and had some awesome fun flying about 200 feet away and back trying all the settings. Great not to worry about obstacles. I flew about 20 feet high above some small trees around the perimeter of the grassy area. Then I made some low passes but was concerned about snagging the struts in the grass so cut that out. lol

I went to max altitude and it was waaay up there. 45 meters or about 147 feet. Then I flew off to the right about 50 feet, hit the RTH return to home and that sucker came back and landed right where it took off from!
When I get time I want to carry it away from the TX until it loses signal and see how far that actually is. Probably farther than I can see. I may need binocular glasses.

When videoing the SAFE mode is awesome for control and steady movements and the stick relative is good for keeping your subject framed without rotating.
Plus you can let go of the controls in this mode and and it will center them and hover.

One function I experienced is that if you keep flying when the low battery warning led comes on, at some point it will auto land. Great feature, IF it is in a safe location to land. I will head the warning and keep it close when that comes on.

Some of these things may be in the more lengthy detailed instructions but some are not. I may repeat some things from previous posts as I did not go back and make a full logical order chain of posts. I downloaded the big manual last night.

When transitioning from safe mode to stability mode it will rise in altitude a few feet so you have to check the surroundings.

I can say this, after the first battery in the open field, I got out my chair to sit in for the next one. With nothing attached it goes a long time!
A friend got the last one at the LHS (local hobby shop) ha ha they got abbreviations for everything. He has lots of models and gave me the charger that comes with it because he has more complex ones. I put a cig plug on it and plug it into the H3 rear outlet. Very nice.
We now have a squadron of 4, I was the test dummy.

I did find a better charger with read outs for conditioning the batteries I may get when my used 1sq cam copter sells at the store. I don't think I will be going back to that now.
With the right batteries and a good charger you can speed up the process. I can see now I gotta have more batteries. I have a backup but I had to use an adapter to connect. I would rather have a cleaner hook up like the original even though they are a bit higher.

I can say that at my age, after having "remote" control things they were actually attached via a cable this is remarkable. Yea they have been around awhile in other forms but not with this technology a newbie can take out of the box and fly relatively well.
What kid of any age would not enjoy this. It says should be 14 or older. I got that covered but it says it's not a toy and I disagree!!
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 am

Sounds like you are having some serious fun just testing :D

The tech in these is amazing. I have not yet ready up on this model but need to. When it returns to "home" does it make a direct path to where it landed or does it somewhat follow the route it took in case you went around obstacles?
Mark

Postby Hunner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Hell yea I'm having fun, I'm getting motivated to go back out West and use the GoPro and Blade to document my adventures in the H3. I would love to have some running footage at speed in the Mojave with my own coptercam or Hummer scout drone.

Welllll, it rises a few feet and comes straight back so you have to check if that will work. It comes back close, thinks about it and adjusts and comes down. Just crazy it can do this.
I then hit the cut button to stop the rotors or it just sits and idles.
If I switch back to safe mode it will take off at the throttle setting you had before you hit RTH so it will blast off if you don't remember to throttle down. (ask me how I know this, or not)
I'm wanting to write a manual for dummies with all the things I learned that are important. They are buried in the instructions but who reads those?? lol

More about the GoPro. It eats up batteries while doing this. I am going to mount the extended battery back this next test flight. I don't think there will be any problem with the weight.

I shot these with the TX laying on the ground!!
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Next project was a secure mount for the camera on my 1.5 inch Steelcraft brush guard.
I did not trust the plastic GoPro roll bar mount.
These guys got it right.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PC&Product_Code=GOPROBASE-150&Category_Code=billet-clamp-on-mounts
You also need the adapter
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PC&Product_Code=goproadapter-1&Category_Code=billet-clamp-on-mounts

My kinda stuff. Very well made precision fabrication. I then used a fishing wire leader in case the clear tabs on the camera housing fail. It's looped thru the back door metal hinge pin as GoPro suggests. One more chance to save it!
It came in three days USPS flat rate box.

I'm going to have to re-install my brush guard braces because it gets some jarring movement on bumps. I broke one and took the other off trying to get someone to make and bend one. May have to rough one out on my own but that stuff is tough to bend in a vice with a BFH.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 pm

More findings.
This is a slow boring video but I wanted to learn to fly slowly, keep altitude, keep camera aimed at H3 and fly around it. That was the whole point in my getting into this was to have smooth video. This is new to me so I am sharing my learning process for anyone considering this.

I tried one driving while flying that would have been great,,,,,,,,camera batteries went down. I have now added the bacpak battery.
I will try that again after the rain!!! grrrrr

Those that have or think they have mastered this usually post obnoxious statements in the forums about noobs on flying. Like they have done it all there life, lol! I'm staying off those boards!

You only have two sticks (and a bunch of switches), one of the sticks is altitude and direction the craft is aiming or shooting and the other is directional control left, right, towards and away from you which all have to be coordinated at the same time to make it smooth. Geeeze Louise............................
I added some comments on the youtube post but I still need to find a higher quality conversion process. It looks great in the GoPro studio.
http://youtu.be/u0FYfXlG6A0

I learned now, depending on the type of post you may not see my comments when you use the link.
This was shot at 1080p 30 minutes before sunset. So there is very little contrast which gives a soft look. Plus the conversion seems to need some tweaking. My copy is great. Stay tuned.................
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby big2dabank » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 am

That's pretty darn cool. Great job Hunner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby Hunner » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:43 am

H3 ground station mission control. Just another excuse to have a Hummer H3.

That was seat o pants line of sight angle of the dangle calculation!

I have been watching for a gimble that will adapt to my Blade QX350. They are pricy. However with all that is involved with flying, trying to adjust the gimble in real time may be a challenge. It would give some options though when hovering.

I think for now, shoot wide, back off and eyeball the angle. The scatter gun theory. lol
Even in the simple GoPro studio you can zoom in but your subject still needs to be centered fairly well.
The more weight I add the less flying time.

I have three batteries now and want more.
I may see if it can carry two at a time but that could upset things.
A larger capacity battery gets wider. I could use a bit longer but not wide.
I have things set up now to use the DC outlet in the rear of the H3 to run my charger.
I can see this is an equipment sport. lol I went for a dual power smart charger that can quick charge the batteries and balance the cells.

I'm hooked, this is better than hanging out an open Helo door and shooting (film)!! or having people shooting back at you.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:16 pm

I tried mounting one of my GoPros to the light mount on the front of the Gobi but it was extremely shaky. Probably had to do with having to use a couple of extensions to the lens up above the top bar of the rack though.

I still need to make some safety cables out of fishing leader, great idea.

I think you did a great job on keeping everything in frame and smooth. It will get better with even more practice, can't imagine how bad I would be at it.

I have done the hang out the open helo door shooting video and it was a blast but I didn't have anybody shooting back :lol:
Mark

Next

Return to Outdoor Pursuits