Campers

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Campers

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:54 pm

So who has a camper and what type, just curious. Within a month of our big Ocala trip in November '06 (first camping for me since moving to FL) I had decided I was done with tent camping and picked up a popup camper. This served us well but after a while it just go to where it was too much work for a one night trip and almost for two nights so we used it less and less. This weekend we picked up a new (to us) hybrid travel trailer and camped Saturday night. Got to say, it's much better than the popup and I can see us using it a lot. So what do you guys have/use if anything?
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Re: Campers

Postby Sewie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:52 pm

A popup is too much work? :duh: I can have mine setup in about 10-15 minutes and tore down almost as fast. It is a fairly small one though with only two slideouts. But since the only camping I do anymore is on the trail, I don't even use it. :roll:

The hybrids look nice, but it's easier to tow and store the popup.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Sewie wrote:A popup is too much work?

It's not so much the setup of the popup itself I guess but the overall setup since it just didn't have the greatest storage.

Sewie wrote:The hybrids look nice, but it's easier to tow and store the popup.

Definitely easier to tow and store. Did not check but I know my mileage took a BIG hit pulling it.
Mark

Postby Rich » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Sewie wrote:A popup is too much work? :duh: I can have mine setup in about 10-15 minutes and tore down almost as fast. It is a fairly small one though with only two slideouts.

TWO slideouts? :duh: On a pop-up? Or do you mean the bed slides at the ends (which I wouldn't count among the slides). I borrowed a friends pop-up with a single slide for pismo last year. That slide was a PITA not to mention how you had to prep the trailer for close-up. I had thought I wanted one until that weekend. :lol: If I did get one it would be a high clearance version with NO slides. :no:

Mark, what is a hybrid? Is that the hard side trailer with the canvas bed slides similar to a pop-up?

I miss my Class C but I don;t regret selling it at the rate it was depreciating in my driveway. We had planned to get a trailer and probably will when the economy improves.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Sewie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:02 am

Rich wrote:TWO slideouts? :duh: On a pop-up? Or do you mean the bed slides at the ends

Exactly.

Rich wrote:That slide was a PITA not to mention how you had to prep the trailer for close-up. I had thought I wanted one until that weekend. :lol:

I'd imagine the first time it may be a PITA. But once you put it up/take it down a couple times, it becomes pretty routine.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:09 am

Rich wrote:I borrowed a friends pop-up with a single slide for pismo last year.

That was a nice pop-up and I slept well in it :yup: 8)

Of course I didn't have to set it up or take it down :lol:

Rich wrote:Mark, what is a hybrid? Is that the hard side trailer with the canvas bed slides similar to a pop-up?

Yeah, it's a hard side travel trailer with beds at either end like a pop-up. With a hybrid they fold down though rather than slide out which leaves all the room inside while they are closed.

Random pic I found

The biggest thing I didn't like about our pop-up was the fact there was no outside storage so you had to keep everything in it. If I wanted something that was in there even when we weren't camping I had to basically set it most of the way up just to get that item. Like you if I would have gotten another it would have been a high side model with the power lift option :yup:
Mark

Postby big2dabank » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 am

I remember a story my dad told me at one of the camp grounds they were at. A younger couple in a Pop were apparently enjoying some extra curicular camping activities when the slide out fell down and crashed to the ground, they came rolling out on the ground naked. :lol: My parents were in the space next to them sitting under their awning and could not stop laughing once they realized what had happened. Then once the regained their composure they went over and helped them out.

I would not call what my parents do as camping. They are retired and have a 40' Monaco/Prevost Diesel Pusher, so thats not camping at all. There Bus is the Burgandy one second from the right.

Mark you should get one like that, definately a great way to travel. Besides, instead of your Hummer towing the camper, you can let the camper tow the Hummer. :lol:
Attachments
coaches.jpg
coaches.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:57 am

big2dabank wrote:Mark you should get one like that, definately a great way to travel. Besides, instead of your Hummer towing the camper, you can let the camper tow the Hummer. :lol:

Trust me, if I could I would have gotten one before heading out to X Rocks complete with a trailer for the H3 :yup:
Mark

Postby big2dabank » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 am

I actually like these a lot, plus you get some room to haul some toys.

BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 am

Toy haulers can be pretty cool and look, one even has an H2 hooked to it :lol:

Got get yourself on so I don't feel so bad when we setup a camping event once it cools down a bit :P :lol:
Mark

Postby big2dabank » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:32 am

HaHa, I would love it, but I don't have anywhere to store the damn thing abd since we are now expecting our third child in February, my budget is officially non existent. So no soup for me!
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank

Postby Rich » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:03 pm

big2dabank wrote:I actually like these a lot, plus you get some room to haul some toys.

I've looked at toy haulers. I don't care for the inside of them. It's like one giant room rather than the small house feel of an RV.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Postby Seth » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Rich wrote:
big2dabank wrote:I actually like these a lot, plus you get some room to haul some toys.

I've looked at toy haulers. I don't care for the inside of them. It's like one giant room rather than the small house feel of an RV.

That's always been my problem with them. Plus, the toys usually get the inside all dirty. The floor and sides are plastic to make it easy to clean, but it really just takes away the feel of the inside.

I like that hybrid camper concept. I hadn't heard of that before. Not really helpful for AC in the summer or heat in the winter though, right?
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:10 am

Seth wrote:I like that hybrid camper concept. I hadn't heard of that before.

There are a couple of key benefits of the hybrids. First is a bit more room in a smaller trailer. For example, I can sleep 8 people in a 23' camper (two queen fold outs, sleeper sofa and dinette) while the same amount in a regular travel trailer would probably require it to be around 30'. The other advantage is they tend to be lighter than a regular travel trailer.

Seth wrote:Not really helpful for AC in the summer or heat in the winter though, right?

Not as bad as the pop-up though :lol:

Actually, Saturday the heat index here was 116* but I actually had to turn the AC down as it was getting cold inside.
Mark

Postby Rich » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Seth wrote: Not really helpful for AC in the summer or heat in the winter though, right?

My friend had one before buying a massive 5th wheel. A/C is not an issue.
Rich

Next

Return to Outdoor Pursuits