Tent Cots - Pros & Cons

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Tent Cots - Pros & Cons

Postby John » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:25 pm

I was looking at the double wide tent cots at Outdoor World last week. They look awsome, but they are fairly heavy, bulky and still pricey. Just curious if any of you have one and if you could share your experiences (pros & cons) with them in the field. :duh: I was thinking, you could probably pimp out one those bad boys pretty easily with some cool stuff (i.e., DVD player, iPod player, mirrored ceiling). :D
John
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2003 H2

Re: Tent Cots - Pros & Cons

Postby Rich » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Pros: easy setup and fairly comfortable.

Cons: Cold. The enemy of of a sleeping bag (especially a down bag) is compression (your body weight). If it's cold outside it will transfer through the compressed bag into your body. A sleeping pad such as a thermarest will help a lot but not as if you you were on the ground since your body will somewhat heat the ground unlike moving air. If you only camp when it's warm this won't be in issue.

I haven't personally tested one yet but these http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail ... tedAirCore are supposed to be the next big thing in camping/backpacking comfort. The comfort of a quality air matress with insulation inside to stop the cold issue usually associated with an air matress. My friend has one and said it was heaven. They are also lighter than a thermarest. Stay tuned for my personal review next month. ;) The only downside is the need to inflate them.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby dailydriver » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Army Navy store. There is a cool one in Fullerton (near the Sam's Club and Home Dept) Get your self a surplus cot and 2 shelter halves. Probably cost you 20 bucks. Break yourself off on ridiculous hikes, carrying way more gear than you need, carry a rifle even if you don't hunt. Hike from sun up to sun down, chanting odd sayings and songs about women back home and how you are going to beat communism and terrorism (depending on what generation you are). At the end of the day yell at your self about what a worthless maggot you are and "beat your face" (do push up's). After that you'll sleep like a baby on your recently acquired Vietnam era camping supplies. :yup:
1998 HMCS
130,000 miles
dailydriver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 1998 HMCS

Postby Rich » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:08 pm

*Makes note to never hike with DD*

:lol:
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Seth » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:18 am

Rich wrote:*Makes note to never hike with DD*

No kidding. :lol: :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Bellvis » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 am

I was very close to buying a Tent Cot and the only reason I did not was due to the size of it when it is not in use.
Its to big, I think 4 ft x 4 ft or around there.

John, check out this thread..... viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7498
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby Crazhy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am

Tents Cots are the latest in camping fashion today, well I guess so. Maybe that is the reason why it is still too prices and that is the only cons I can think of. Pro camping if you are after comfort and style, the tent seems to be bulky but actually it is not. Event Tents
Last edited by Crazhy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crazhy
New User
New User

Vehicle: Honda

Postby Bellvis » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:39 am

Crazhy wrote:I combined my 2 tent to make compatible in 5 persons. In the first place, it is really hard to join this 2 tent. Fortunately, the owner gave me some advice. Event Tents.

What? :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby JustinOK » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:12 am

dailydriver wrote:Army Navy store. There is a cool one in Fullerton (near the Sam's Club and Home Dept) Get your self a surplus cot and 2 shelter halves. Probably cost you 20 bucks. Break yourself off on ridiculous hikes, carrying way more gear than you need, carry a rifle even if you don't hunt. Hike from sun up to sun down, chanting odd sayings and songs about women back home and how you are going to beat communism and terrorism (depending on what generation you are). At the end of the day yell at your self about what a worthless maggot you are and "beat your face" (do push up's). After that you'll sleep like a baby on your recently acquired Vietnam era camping supplies. :yup:

Thank you, I needed that!

(You also forgot to sit around so you could hurry up and wait. ;) )
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby Hunner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:19 am

Well all of that is bad enough but the worst part is people shooting at you and disturbing your sleep or stuff falling from the sky and making noise and flashes of light!
Most times camping with Uncle Sam is worse than Uncle Buck.
Did I mention creepy crawly things that bite?
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Return to Outdoor Pursuits