Heavy Duty Tent Stakes

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Heavy Duty Tent Stakes

Postby John » Fri May 22, 2009 2:35 am

Anyone know where to find heavy duty 12" x 3/8" (approx), steel tent stakes? :duh: Looking for somethink that can hold up in high wind, hard compacted rocky type soil for the EZ Up's and tents.
John
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2003 H2

Re: Heavy Duty Tent Stakes

Postby Rich » Fri May 22, 2009 9:08 am

I have some that I replaced my ez-up stakes with - not sure they're quite THAT big but they match the ones that came with it. I think I got them at REI.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Robo » Fri May 22, 2009 10:28 am

Army surplus store. Even if they don't have them, a trip to a good surplus store is never a waste of time :D
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby Hunner » Fri May 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Our ACE hardware or farm supply has GREAT big nails, really big, really, that drive well in hard rocky ground. We use them in the MTNs here. Some people call them bridge nails. I tryed driving one in a bridge with big oak timbers on the farm and decided that was best left up to the professionals!
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Seth » Mon May 25, 2009 12:22 am

I got a set of the exact stake you are looking for at Wal-Mart. They hold up real well.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby John » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:17 am

Thought I wouls pass this along... went to LOWES and picked up some 1/2" and 3/8" rebarb and cut them to size. You can cut one end at an angle to put a point on one end. Cheap, EZ and very strong. They work great!
John
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 am

John wrote:Thought I wouls pass this along... went to LOWES and picked up some 1/2" and 3/8" rebarb and cut them to size. You can cut one end at an angle to put a point on one end. Cheap, EZ and very strong. They work great!

How do they hold the tent? (i.e. a tent stake has the curve at the top) You just rely on the angle of the stake? If that works well enough then a cement form stake would work too. Basically a 1/2" bar with a point already on it for the people that don't have a way to cut rebar. They are cheap (maybe $3 each) and come in various lengths.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby John » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:36 pm

Rich, I just rely on the angle. I primarily use them for my EZ ups, but would work well with tents also. I mostly do desert camping and very rarely use a tent, I just sleep outside on a cot or in my truck if the weather is bad.
John
Club Member
Club Member

Postby stjames151 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:37 am

I use 50p. nails I got from a local hardware store. They're about 10" long and galvanized with a good sized head to hold the tent. I guess another cheap alternative would be to walk down some tracks and grab some rail road spikes.
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Return to Outdoor Pursuits