Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Re: Hunner's Alpha H3

Postby Hunner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 am

I know you guys miss me but I told ya everything I know. I know your glad you don't have to read my long posts much.

I'm learning some new stuff though.
I finally updated my technology and got an ipad. I got my dual mount all made up and my nav can't go this time so I broke it back down. I want to try this setup with the ipad and my laptop. DeLorme North America quads still holds me to it with the detail it has. I did order a new updated GPS puck for the laptop.
I'm trying MotionX HD drive on the iPad for a new twist.
The combination gives me lots of options. I still need to pin down how to link the laptop to the ipad so it can use the cell data. I think I have to have tethering re-instated at ATT.
So for now I'm heading out after four days of rain hitting 2 inches in the area I am going. I want to catch a couple of falls with lots of water. Clear and then 3 more days of rain, must be spring.
Current set up. (it's ok I'm a trained professional. I have voice commands.) she tells me where to go, sound familiar?

Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock. Most of this was in the Ouachita National Forest.

I picked up a Wilson cell phone booster I have been eyeing. Where I was going on a weekday I might not see anybody until the weekend!
It does work. It varied but 1 bar became two and sometimes three and I tried it and it worked with that level.

I can say an iPad can survive some serious jiggling and hard knocks. I was running 20 lbs of air in the tires and at times running up to 40 mph on gravel and dirt and natural rock forest service roads. The seat heater and some Naperson kept the back in reasonable tolerable condition.
The new GPS hockey puck for the laptop has greatly improved. Fast cold start up. I was admiring how it did not skip in deep pine forests and noticed it was gone from the temporary place on the dash. I had not applied velcro yet. It was on the floor and working better than the old one!

One other new discovery is the iPad map apps, Motion X HD drive and Google maps kept saying "can't connect to server" so I guess in remote areas it would be best to download those maps. They were missing areas or none at all.
However my old laptop with DeLorme Topo 9 had full topo maps which are installed and GPS tracking happily along. Sometimes older technology comes in handy!

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises.
Whoops, missed the flood but not taking that shortcut anymore! Ya think water has some power?
Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock.

I picked up a Wilson cell phone booster I have been eyeing. Where I was going on a weekday I might not see anybody until the weekend!
It does work. It varied but 1 bar became two and sometimes three and I tried it and it worked with that level.

I can say an iPad can survive some serious jiggling and hard knocks. I was running 20 lbs of air in the tires and at times running up to 40 mph on gravel and dirt and natural rock forest service roads. The seat heater and some Naperson kept the back in reasonable tolerable condition.
The new GPS hockey puck for the laptop has greatly improved. Fast cold start up. I was admiring how it did not skip in deep pine forests and noticed it was gone from the temporary place on the dash. I had not applied velcro yet. It was on the floor and working better than the old one!

One other new discovery is the iPad map apps, Motion X HD drive and Google maps kept saying "can't connect to server" so I guess in remote areas it would be best to download those maps. They were missing areas or none at all.
However my old laptop with DeLorme Topo 9 had full topo maps which are installed and GPS tracking happily along. Sometimes older technology comes in handy!

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises.
Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock.

Oh and a 5 amp fuse in a splitter cig plug will not handle and invertor, Ipad, Cell phone booster.

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises. This cost me 2 hours.
Eh not a good idea
Why can't I be there, well a safe distance back.
Somebody had a good time.
Old Wagon road down by the riverside, down by the riverside.
I got more rapids than waterfalls this trip. Cossatot Falls
Besides that I spotted deer 7 times, saw two LIVE armadillos, and a Roadrunner. Beep Beep
Got some interesting remarks at a couple of Mom and Pop gas stations about my "Experimental Vehicle"
Just got home at dark 30, but I got lights, lots of lights................
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby The Other Rob » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:19 am

Pretty cool little right up.. I've kinda dropped back from some of the GPS stuff.. I still keep it handy so I can get the coordinates, but have found I get a better look at the BIG picture with a Delorme Gazetteer map set when chasing the old roads.. Typically as long as I know where I started, I can keep up with where I am with those, but I've always had a knack for reading maps I guess.. There's a group based out of Central Arkansas that's been running a lot of Expedition type trips over the past few years.. Central Overland.. I went on one of the first runs with them back when I still had the H3 and had a blast.. We ran from Hot Springs up to near the Buffalo River taking as many dirt roads and paths as we could find.. Did pretty good, until like you we came across a bridge that was out somewhere south of Mt Magazine.. And it was a BIG Bridge.. Had a BIG tree that had dropped a large limb across both lanes.. Bigger than a single cut across with a 16" chainsaw bar.. Not sure if it was ever cleared or not, and even if it did the bridge was remote enough, I'm not sure they would have approved it for traffic again.. Need to catch up with those guys again one of these days and make another trip with them. Had a friend that made a trip with them this past weekend.. Lotta moderate/deep water crossings.. He got caught on the wrong side of a big rock in the middle of a river and ended up with almost as much water in the cab as outside..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Hunner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 pm

I may have mentioned this but, I spent 10 years of my life in an Aero Commander with a floor mounted mapping camera shooting 10 inch x 250 foot rolls of film. I have flown coverage every other mile section line of the entire state, some of it more than once. They have 60% forward overlap and 20% side lap for stereo scope viewing. That was before GPS! Visually had to line up on fence rows and tree lines and cultivated property boundaries from 10,000 feet above mean sea level.
The Arkansas county maps are made from that coverage.

I got maps, but this stuff is more fun!

I remember that trip you made. I stopped by some homesteads where I used to check in for permission to cross and bribed them with aerial photographs of their property and maps. Sad to say some those ole timers are now buried on that property and some of the families have moved to the city and are no longer living there.
Some these place I found had not seen many people and those that new about them were not talking, things change!
I hate development in wilderness areas.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:51 am

Nice setup up and great trip. I have pretty much moved from using my netbook with Delorme to the iPad since it takes up so much less room especially when I have somebody else with me. So far the mapping software I like the best for the iPad is Galileo. It allows you to either run live maps with a data connection or download maps for off line use. If you view the area you will be traveling before hand with a data connection it will cache the map files so you don't have to create and download your maps but either way works pretty good. Also allows you to import/export GPX and KML files.

We just recently did a cross FL 4 day expedition trip with the minimum pavement and it was an absolute blast. Got to show some people things they never knew were in the area.
Mark

Postby Hunner » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 am

I will check that app out. I'm still shopping. I learned that caching the maps will need to be done where I go. I'm just not sure yet what they consider "a map" or how much area around my route it covers.
I'm mostly interested in an app that has actual scanned in Geological topographic maps which will show old roads and trails and any buildings present at the time they were made. I need the contours to find possible waterfalls. I also want it to track my route with GPS and or 4G LTE when available.
Lots to learn but it is interesting for me having been around since before some of this. Heck I used dead reckoning and Loran on my boat and had the AM radio assist for accuracy on my GPS when dithering was engaged, look at me now. What's next.
I may want to do something like that Florida trip. Maybe we should set up an exchange of guided trips, sort of an expedition sharing society so people can share their knowledge of their states?
Next investment may be a SAT phone, just in case!
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Have not tried but if I recall with a recent update you can create your own custom maps for whatever source. I could be wrong but thats how I remember the update being. Worth checking out at least. It will track your route with GPS which you can export later if you want to share it. Was the cell booster worth it? I have thought about getting one for several years now. Primarily it was for spending time in the Ocala forest which has pretty poor coverage but we don't spend as much time up there these days and coverage is getting better.

Would be very cool to have you down here for an expedition run and come up there for one.
Mark

Postby Hunner » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 pm

The booster I tried was a Wilson Sleek. I was a bit skeptical because Best Buy here only had one that on the box said 3g and Verizon 4G.
I have ATT. So it was not really the right one. I was thinking I would only have 3G most of the time way out there. Turns out on Tall Peak is a tower that has many antenna now and one is an ATT Cell 4G. Turns out Wilson does make a model that is specific to ATT. That covers most of the area I was in part of the time.
The guys told me to try it anyway so I did. It made a couple of bars different but not all the time, of course was not the correct one.
I found one for about twice the price but the real deal. I looked at Wilson products but have not heard back from them.
This Top Signal I just got a reply from might be the way to go for serious attempt at maintaining coverage. I am more concerned about needing help or staying in contact with family than the maps features failing
This portable kit will work for me exploring and on my boat and in other areas or road trips to far away destinations.
If this does not get a signal enough of the time then back to the SAT phone.
It's probably more than most people would need but I am out exploring a lot and on the lake during times there are not many people around.
http://powerfulsignal.com/cell-phone-bo ... e-kit.aspx

Yeah we should work on a visit at some point. I frequent Florida and the Gulf Coast even though my boat is not down there anymore I have boats I can use.
Adding an offroad trip to that would be fun.
Last edited by Hunner on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:10 am

That looks like a good setup. Back when I was originally looking you would spend that much for most everything I found but I have noticed prices have come down a bit.

We could definitely add some wheeling to your trips down here :yup: 8)
Mark

Postby Hunner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 am

I'm learning more about this. Since this reply I found that the only product they have at this time is for buildings in this band.
So I have contacted them about how I want to use this in my travels and would like to be an early adopter when they get the kit I posted before that can do 4G AND LTE. (long term evolution)

David,
The 4G LTE Icon which is on every page of our site is a link to our 4G products. The Top Signal 55 Booster kit covers AT&T 2G, 3G and 4G but not 4G LTE. 2G, 3G and 4G are on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands which is what the Top Signal 55 covers. 4G LTE is on the 700 MHz band and requires a different amplifier. If this is confusing please call us for more information.
Thanks,
Powerful Signal

This reminds me of my old bag phone that would romp and stomp. I even had it connected to a mast top ant on my boat. It lost some power going up 40 feet but at that height it got horizon coverage. It of course was analog and no longer supported and finally went up in smoke.

The solution I want is to support BOTH the cell phone and iPad4.
They do offer a product for 4G-A (ATT) now in the sleek cradle but I think I will hang back for the other that in order to stay in the game surely they will work on.
I have concluded that to use this it has to remain in the cradle so you would need a bluetooth device or use speaker phone. It's a bit awkward removing the phone while attached to the cradle that comes off the mount with a power cable and ant cable hanging off of it.
http://powerfulsignal.com/wilson-815326 ... oster.aspx
It won't charge an iphone as is but a cord could be run for the lightening connector.

I have my ipad 4 set up as a hotspot so my laptop can run off of that. I will check in today about the ipad using the iphone 5 as a hot spot connection and that may be the way to go for now.
Another option is to use the mapping app on the phone in those areas, but it's a harder to see at a glance bouncing along in the H3. Guess I could stop? lol
Stay tuned for more research, this is all new to me.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

News flash, it appears after several attempts I have enabled my iphone 5 os6 to serve as a hotspot for the ipad4. So if the phone is using the boost cradle I may have this figured out.
I'm sure all you geeks already new that, I'm just sharing this old dog learning new tricks.
Nobody I had asked new that was possible. I need to find younger friends? lol
I will go get lost and see if it works.
What a job.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Well leave it to the newbie paranoid user and I found there was a discrepancy in their website statement of applications. I was being cautious and trying to get the specifics but their details are wrong.
One place contradicted the other. Time to talk to a real person.
The Wilson 815326 sleek 4G-A does work on ATT 4G LTE. It supposed to be listed as tri-band 700/800/1900 it's not.
Under application it says among other things Verizon LTE which is what the ones at Best Buy say and I did not get a straight answer if this one will or not. I think there is some difference in the two systems.
They claimed to contact the webmaster who may not be a master. I think he copied and pasted the wrong info.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Been too involved in some hobbies to get back on here.

I failed to pass on my findings of an airbag project I did.

Here are a couple of pasted posts to save time and a follow up post.

It's actually easy and of course there is a youtube video out there.

I got help for once and installed the e-trailer air bags on a lift. Much easier.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Hummer/H3/2008/AL59563.html?vehicleid=20081111975

While not as robust as Firestones for more of a lift type application, I believe these will serve my purpose.

They do state, for maintaining stock height, which is what I want.

I put 15 pounds in them today and immediately felt a difference in the ride.
It seemed more stable, not rocking around on the springs.

My shocks work great but even the new ones if I hit a narrow bump like a concrete seam that is unlevel the initial hit you can tell the shock softened the bump but then it slams the rear down and anything loose in the rear bounces.

I like having the shocks control keeping the wheels on the ground offroad going slow but on rough pavement it can be harsh.

The air bags took that out. I went around to my regular places it did that and no slamming down.
Great for my camera equipment I have on board most of the time that rides at the very back.

That was just a simple test.
Today I loaded up my average 400 lbs of tools and parts and several cases of photo equipment.
I also hooked up my 13' Whaler with a tongue weight I can't lift, about 250 lbs I'm guessing until I weigh it.

So far I think this has made a nice improvement.

I checked them at full droop on the rack and all looks good.
Interesting point is as they come they are not fully extended. Part of the bag at the bottom is rolled over the bottom raised base and needs to be pulled up when fitting them.

I ran the Shrader valves to the right of the trailer hitch on a flat plate that is already there. Maybe a little exposed but works for now.

PS if you have my Hunner EXtreme skids just place the square "U" bolt upside down with the threaded part facing up. No need to remove the skid! I used the cross piece that was to go under the spring, across the top to take up some thread. They could be cut off some later.

First photo is 5 lbs so as not to fold them down.

Second photo 60 lbs.

Might as well go somewhere now, I'm loaded up and level!
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:26 pm

ATTENTION!

I have not used the boat in a while, several months, so have not paid attention to the airbags. I shot some air in them to move the boat in our weird warm winter weather we are having.

I noticed they leaked back down rather quickly.

Here is the issue. Because of the cooler weather before this, and the bags having little air in them, they deflated even more when it got cold allowing them to bulge out and the brake bracket sliced a gash in them.

So I set about to remedy this. I was able to purchase the bags alone so saved some money. I mentioned if they were going to sell this as specifically for the H3 they needed to write a warning or include a bracket to move the brake line bracket.
I took some blame as we probably should have checked at deflated as well as full inflation. I could stick my hand between the bag and bracket so it was not obvious. I do plan to inform them that some compensation would be nice. I feel obligated after recommending them to also post this problem on the forum.

Sorry about this but be warned!
The fix was to remove the bracket from current location and relocate using a flat strap metal bracket. I had to shoot this picture with the bag off but it was before I put in the second bolt for the bracket.
This is at full droop on the lift. The ABS line may need to be adjusted a bit more.

Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:27 pm

How have you been Hunner? Thanks for the updated info.
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Builds