New to forum

How you built it

Re: New to forum

Postby 58bisc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:23 am

I'm waiting on the delivery of my Hi-Lift jack. I started playing around with a prototype of a home made rack mount for the jack. Here's what I have come up with. Everything on my second try is heavier duty then the proto type. Clamp is steel (I went with 3/4 inch for a tight fit) and it is rated at 180 lbs. vertical hang. I'll be using two of them for a 29.8lbs. jack. I will be hanging them from the vertical posts with the jack facing in over the rack. I plan on bed lining them to match the rack. I made rubber gaskets for where they clamp to the rack. The threaded rod is 3/8. I used locking nuts to lock the threaded rod to the clamp. I put nuts on the tightening screws of the clamp. I added rubber washers in front of the fender washers to stop rattles. I added a piece of rubber hose over the threaded rod. I'm still under $20 if I use wing nuts, but I had two 3/8 handles laying around that cost me nothing, so I'm going to use them.

Completed jack mounting bracket, still needs bed lining to match the rack:

Proto type vs. new model:

New model and supplies to make it:

Jack does not get here for a couple days to test them out. Of course I will take pictures and post them when done.
Red 06, hood stripe, red & black leather interior, tow package, Monsoon radio, iPod jack, body lift, Tbar crank, Bilstein f & r shocks, extended bump stops, air horn, fender flares w/splash guards, 35 tires, touring exhaust, H3 tips, AirDoc's intake, K&N filter, tune, UCP, diff skid, engine coil spring delete, ported throttle body, ladder, Thor bumper/bull bar, 12,500 winch, dual batteries, Tmax controller, KC lights, color grille, shock skids, rock sliders, roof rack
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3

Postby 58bisc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Heres my final model:

New jack and the mounting brackets (handle isolator did not show up yet):

I removed the jack base and wrapped friction tape around the shaft, reinstalled the base and wrapped the joint and around the base to cut down on rattles:

Backet mounted on the rack:

Jack mounted:

Up close of the mounted jack on the home made bracket:

View from the ground:

Different view:

Just the base is resting on the rack:

Shot of the rack:

I took it for a couple of bumpy rides and there was no rattles and everything stayed tight. Of course I'll be checking it over the next couple of weeks to be sure there are no issues. The reason I picked that location was the size of the jack and I figured I already had the weight of the dual batteries and the driver on other side.
Red 06, hood stripe, red & black leather interior, tow package, Monsoon radio, iPod jack, body lift, Tbar crank, Bilstein f & r shocks, extended bump stops, air horn, fender flares w/splash guards, 35 tires, touring exhaust, H3 tips, AirDoc's intake, K&N filter, tune, UCP, diff skid, engine coil spring delete, ported throttle body, ladder, Thor bumper/bull bar, 12,500 winch, dual batteries, Tmax controller, KC lights, color grille, shock skids, rock sliders, roof rack
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:24 pm

The jack sticking up bothered me, so I tried the brackets the way I designed them to fit:

Because the rack is a Stealth design, the end still stuck up a little higher then I wanted, so I built a floor mount system instead:

Now it fits below the light bar and once I install lights you will not be able to see it from the front:

Been working on the XJ getting it ready for paint. Need to find time to modify the H3 rock sliders so I can get them mounted. Also still have to install the BA shock skids.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:12 am

Just ordered stainless steel braided brake lines, drilled & slotted rotors and ceramic pads. PA inspection is up in November... I went with clear lines to show the braid. I figured it would match the shocks, as I only have two items on the underside in red (decal on my spider cover and the H3 decal on the front skid plate). I went with stock length. I don't plan on doing a Ranchero type lift, as I am very happy with where I'm at. I may do quick disconnects on the sway bars and since they don't require any additional length, stock lenght should be fine. I did not take a chance with longer, as I was worried about having to loop and strap the extra line somewhere so it would not catch on anything. I guess I'll find out if it was the right thing to do.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Bellvis » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Damn dude, you are really going all out! Love it! Keep it going!
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby 58bisc » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks, I'm having fun with it. Doing a Jeep XJ 4 door at the same time (my future son in law's) or I'd probably be done already!

Pads and rotors arrived. Lines will be another week or so.

Think I'm starting to loose an idler pulley, started squeaking on my current trip. I'll take a better look at it when I get home...
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Brakes are in, but I'm still busy Jeeping...

Complete set up:

Just the braided lines:
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Ok, so I bought one of these off of eBay for $62 +S&H to give it a try. I intend to mount it on a spare air intake cover I have. I could not resist the look. Getting ready to order the Sy-Klone pre cleaner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17756-07-BRAND-NEW-XHD-Modular-Snorkel-High-Mount-Kit-Wrangler-JK-07-11-3-8L-/200818258321?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep&hash=item2ec1b37191&vxp=mtr#ht_3977wt_754

Thinking I will bolt the snorkel to the air intake cover after I drill a hole in it for the tube/hose to fit through. Seal everything up tight. Already got it worked out in my head. Assuming I will need to reshape the piller mounting bracket to fit the H3. Thinking of using 2 1/2 rad hose and after I seal it to the intake & snorkel combo, I hope to squeezed it through the current hole in the fender, then mate it to the standard home made snorkel set up. I will either trim coat or bed line the entire setup (air intake & snorkel) to hopefully look like one unit. We will see how it turns out. For a little time and money I figure It is worth a shot. I'm sure it will not go as perfect as I plain, but I'm ok with that. It's half the fun!
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:10 am

I have the Hummer apart in the drive way. Started on a home made snorkel set up that requires little or no cutting. Made the duct with 1/4 inch thick wall by 3 inch round PVC conduit. I designed it to work and fit in the channels around the fender and fire wall. I heated the conduit and made them roughly 1x4 rectangular. I did have to cut a strip of metal about 3/4 of an inch by 4 inches long. None of it was braces or structuarl in nature. I left all of the metal bends in place for support and streanth. At this point I have the complete working mock up to make the factory air intake vent fully functional. Not truely sure that with this small piece cut out that a rubber hose would not have worked fine, but input from others maded me worry about it. Figured rather safe then sorry. It is definitely over engineered now. Once I assemble everything in the truck, I'll start on mounting the Jeep snorkel to the air intake cover and window pillar. The snorkel follows the angle of the windshield nicely. I went ahead and ordered the Sy-Klone pre filter for it, it should be here this week. I've taken a ton of pictures along the way. Hope I don't run into any surprises tomorrow during final assemble and snorkel engineering, but of course I'll let all of you know if I do...
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:05 pm

I ended up using 3 inch intake hose to buid the piping. I dropped and broke my camera before the install was complete, so I don't have the final shots I wanted.

Blurry picture of the proto type snorkel on my H3. The snorkel sat too far away from the windshield pillar. I mounted it in this spot to line the opening with the duct work that runs to the air filter box. On the final set up, I will mount the snorkel in the best cosmetic position and create an air channel beneath the cover to line up the openings:

A shot of the duct work assembled outside of the truck. The pipes were not as flat as the final product and the clamps on the flat pieces are installed wrong in this picture:

Here's a shot of the almost completed install.

58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 pm

I got a chance to work on the brakes. I did front and rear drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I did not get the chance to do the SS braded lines yet, that will be another days work.

58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 am

Looks good, how do you like them?
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby 58bisc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 am

So far, so good. Quite and pedal feels good, nice and firm. Not sure when I'll get the chance to install the lines, but I am looking forward to that. After I first put the 35's on, I noticed it took more effort to get the truck stopped. Hoping these upgrades may help that a bit.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby wpage » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Not too shabby! 8)
"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3

Postby 58bisc » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 am

It's been a while since I updated my build. The snorkel looks like it is ready to go on, but needs paint (trim coat) which means it will have to wait till the spring. I bought a set of GM sliders with removable steps and they are working great. If I every get the custom Schwartty's sliders to fit, I think I will modify them to except the GM steps. Camera is still broke so pictures are a problem. If I could ever figure out how to up load them from my iPhone, we would be back in business.

Mechanically she is starting to show her age... Both belt tensioners have gone bad and yesterday the water pump went. No time to work on it, since I am swamped at work. Since it is past due for the state inspection, I'll be dropping it off at the stealership tonight to have the work done. The thought of them working on it is killing me, but I need to keep it running. Top all of this off with the fact I took it off road on some fire breaks while out shooting and I kissed a tree. It was one of thoughs bounced out of a rut and into a small tree. Nothing broken, just out of place and missing paint. Repairs of that will have to wait till spring, but my nice red grill and fender don't look so good right now.

Sorry no pictures, just no time to play with anything at this point.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Builds