nuggets Defender

How you built it

Re: nuggets Defender

Postby nugget » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Well the weather in Brissie might be perfect if you are a duck, but it did have an upside for me ....... a day in the shed knocking over a pretty stock Defender project but one I have been wanting to get to for some time, installing my Mulgo Ex Box. The idea of raising the electrics appealed, having given a few trucks internal baths over the years and a higher centre console would be a better height for an arm rest on long trips.
For anyone not familiar with Defenders, this is how it all looks out of the show room.

The electrics are currently under the drivers seat and the idea is to free up, this room for another yet to be determined use.

First up the centre console has to come out. 4 bolts...easy as long as you have a set of star head drivers..think thats what they are called..

Under the centre console is a plate which also has to come off and which then gives you complete access...even to the ground below!

I had spoken to Daniel at Mulgo and he gave me a great tip...rivet the fuel line retaining bracket in place before undoing the nut as the bolt is used later to secure the Ex Box. If it moves at all it would be extremely difficult to get it all back to get together, especially if you are on your own.

Now it is time to start getting into the nitty gritty...removing the electrics. I numbered each joiner so I would know where it had to go back.

Next you pull the harness out of the side hole

The central locking wires have to be stripped out and fed back into the original compartment. As they would now be exposed under the car, I protected them and also applied heat shrink.

H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 07 H3 Adventure

Postby nugget » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Daniel had also told me that heat could be a problem with the Ex Box so I protected the under side with Heat shield to minimise the effect.

The wiring harness is then fed through the bottom of the E Box and the box bolted in place. The ABS box and Fuse box bolt straight in. The relay strip are drilled off and then relocated in the box.

Centre console bolted onto the lid so the E Box

Job done..

Well job almost done....have to block off the holes in the original cavity under the drivers seat...

Now just bit of wiring to tidy up and check under the truck .
H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 am

You are a very industrious man. Good work.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby nugget » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:09 am

Whilst the Puma has pretty good stock diff breather compared to many trucks, finding the front diff breather was not locked into the push in fitting properly because the “hook” on the tube was too short gave my LR confidence button another hammering.

I decided to replace the lines and terminate in a manifold which dovetailed with an article I am doing for 4WD Action. For the article I made the manifold from a bit of ally angle as it is a “budget” piece but for my own use, I decided to machine a manifold which would hopefully look a bit better. I used stainless fittings and am happy with the way it turned out.

Managed to sneak it in where there is a cut out in the bonnet backing plate to make sure the filters didn’t get smacked when I dropped the hood.

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Franciscohummer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Great looking defender man! Here in Portugal those cars are very commun, like all Land Rovers. I have a Range Rover with a bmw engine, But I haven´t amde any mods yet. I also have an Opel Frontera 2.8 but that one as some mods. But anyway, great truck you have there
Franciscohummer
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby nugget » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:05 am

Managed to get upto Glasshouse today and put the 110 through its paces for the first time.

The tracks we generally OK but we did a couple which were really muddy. My son took up his heavily modified Hilux which is a real weapon and I got every where he did except one really wet and muddy uphill which was deeply rutted and I was bottoming out which combined with the TC stopped me getting up enough momentum to get over the lip. With the lack of front recovery points I turned around and utilised my rear recovery, being pulled up backwards!

Small amount of collateral damage sustained in the reverse recovery. Got a sore neck checking in the side mirror on the way home though!!

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby The Other Rob » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 am

That spot under the seat looks like it'd be a good place to stash afew things.. Smuggling Anorexia Medications or maybe a compressor..

A compressor may be a little noisey under the bum, but the vibes from it might make for some interesting times.. Let Wendy know and you might never get to drive again.. :lol:
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Seth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

That is interest that there is no recovery point on the front of the Defender. Sounds like you will need to remedy that real quick.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby nugget » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:30 am

Yeah...probably the stiff upper lip British..a Defender would never get stuck therefore therre is no need for recovery points....wrong

They incorporate them in several bullbars so I am waiting to do that...all part of the master plan!! 8)
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Glad to see you were able to get out and get it dirty 8)
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby nugget » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

One thing I must comment on is the that the Defender has an absolutely awesome anti stall. You can litterally have it in first gear so you have the engine breaking and stand on the brake on a severe downhill and it will just chug along...really sweet.
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby blue dog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Hey Wayne

Hope you managed to keep the toes dry up there in the big wet
blue dog
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: hummer h3 2008

Postby nugget » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:37 am

Giday...the tracks were not too bad except in the gullies and then it was pretty sloppy....still got some on the driveway if you need any!
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Things have been a bit slow to get going but hopefully I am about to start making up for lost time.

Started building my roof rack on the weekend...

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:42 pm

Got a bit more done on the roof rack basket

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builds