nuggets Defender

How you built it

Re: nuggets Defender

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:57 pm

nugget wrote:Blinkers, horn and high beam are on a stalk on the LHS of the wheel, along with a small headlight stalk. Wipers are on the RHS with one intermittent speed to save confusion.

Didn't realize you guys down there were so easy to confuse, we put it all on one stalk hear. Well except the horn with is placed in the middle of the steering wheel (which is on the left side of the vehicle) just like it was supposed to be :P :lol:
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby nugget » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:17 pm

ronb wrote:all better now! ...but you may still have issues with reverse!

You would have thought Land Rover could have gotten their own logo the right way round!!! 8)
H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 07 H3 Adventure

Postby The Other Rob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Which way does the water spin in the toilets down there..??
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby nugget » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Some simple mods to start.

The Defender seats have limited travel and keep you close to the dash so I ahve installed extension rails

Next was a dual battery. The battery housing is under the passengers seat and there was enough room to fit my 40amp/hr Rivers without much modification. One Rivnut to bolt a clamp down to.

First I fitted the isolator

Then I machined some posts..on post screws down to an exisitng stud so I milled a falt and tapped a hole for the earth to fit to.

Fitted the battery, bolt it down and good to go!

H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Sierra H3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:02 am

I went to the annual Los Angeles Auto Show a week or so ago. Land Rover had about every model there except the Defender. Too bad, it would have been a treat to see it first hand. I suppose the effort of meeting US Federal Emissions and/or perceived competition from Jeep's low bottom line is keeping them out. The best off road vehicle that I saw at the show was probably the Mercedes G-Class. But, at $105K base price, I Can''t consider it a bargain. Of course, Hummer, star of shows gone by was no where to be seen. The more I see the pics of your Defender, the more I like it. By the way, the US Navy took me to Australia a couple of times in 1981. Met some nice people and had a great time around the Perth area. Beautiful beaches (Fremantle) at very affordable prices back then.
1985 Ranger 4x4: Sold to a good home.
1994 Ram 4x4: Died protecting its driver.
2008 H3 Alpha Adventure with rock rails, differential, and shock mount skids: Alive and kicking.
Sierra H3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H3 Alpha Adventure

Postby nugget » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Mate they took you to a great part of Oz. Lived in Perth from 80 to 86 in the boom years and it was, and still is a magic place. A lot of Us ships came in during that time and you boys seemed to enjoy it pretty well!!!!

Exchange rate not so favourable these days of course but still a great palce. I have been lucky enough to live in Adelaide,Perth and now Brisbane and the last 2 are about as good as it gets!
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 am

The Defender was in dire need of a decent rear recovery point. Decided to make my own based on a South African design i saw on the net. Pretty happy with the way it has turned out..

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 am

Nice work :yup:
Mark

Postby Seth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Mark wrote:Nice work :yup:

X2. It is great to be able to fab stuff like that yourself.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Seth wrote:It is great to be able to fab stuff like that yourself.

No kidding, I wish I had the equipment, space and knowledge to do fab work :yup:
Mark

Postby nugget » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Fitted some extended flares so that the wider tyres don't hang out like dogs b@lls.

There were some issues with quality and they are sending me a replacement set but I used stainless screws and larger washers to fit them so the heads of the screws didn't pull through the thin material.

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Those make a huge difference and look great 8)
Mark

Postby Hunner » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 am

I can see you have learned the errors of your ways and have decided to conform to the establishments rules and regulations and cover that tire overhang and come back down to earth. No more endangering the local population with that big rig you had. Hopefully you will be able to explore the outback with out confrontation. Your situation was probably aggravated by driving an American imported vehicle that the johndarms could not afford. :lol: :lol:
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby The Other Rob » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Hunner wrote:Your situation was probably aggravated by driving an American imported vehicle that the johndarms could not afford. :lol: :lol:

So driving a British import that they can't afford betters his chances..??

So I gotta ask.. What costs more over there, the H3 or the Defender..??
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby nugget » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:51 pm

The H3 is a little bit more expensive..about AUD$5k
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builds