nuggets Defender

How you built it

Re: nuggets Defender

Postby nugget » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Everything is back from powder coating so time to bring it all together...

First up is to fit the fairlead

I made the fairlead to go either side of the bars front channel so that there would be a lead in for the rope on both sides, would add strength as the channel is sandwiched giving a larger foot print and the winch bolts through the whole lot, again adding strength.

Fit the sleeve for the single post ladder rack....removable so I will only put it in when needed but will come in really handy when picking up lengths of steel etc

Some front recovery eyelets. You can see in later photos that there is a l;ot of strengthening behind these points as well as bracing back to the brackets.

fitting the winch and control box. I will be having dash mounted controls as well as the remote, which I have re-positioned into the top of the bar for ease of use.

Here you can see some of the extra steel and bracing for the recovery eyelet

H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 07 H3 Adventure

Postby nugget » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Bugger it....might as well throw it on..

And with the bashplate and diff guard

Still a couple of small things to do as well as hook up the winch but getting there.
H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Hunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Great work, as usual, at least for an old guy!! :lol:
Funny how all that experience pays off later in life, Huh? 8)
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby nugget » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:10 pm

giday Hunner...us old farts have to stick together...actually I had "tricks for Jake" embroidered on the sleeve of my overalls as I always tease him that still have a couple of tricks up my sleeve for him!!!

defender bullbar 354 .JPG
defender bullbar 354 .JPG (130.32 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Great work. That is a lot of work but will be well worth it in the end. I really like the head light guards.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Sewie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:34 am

You do some really clean work Nugget. Truck is looking awesome. 8)
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby nugget » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm

thanks guys..been a really enjoyable couple of projects where I have had a lot of fun with both the design and build side. Used the experts to do the stuff I didn't have the equipment or expertise on and then filled in the gaps....pity I didn't clean the finger marks off the front of the bar in the last photo though!! 8)

Couple of small things still to finish off the bar but will keep them up the sleeve until I do them and then some spring spacers...front dropped 20mm, and new shocks hopefully this weekend.

With the rack being a bit higher than normal I don't quite fit into my shed which was not part of the design criteria! Reckon I might just make it by letting the tyres down though!
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Finally finished the final bits and pieces on the bullbar build.

I found that I couldn't reach the top of the single pole ladder rack to tie stuff down with out stepping up on the bullbar which was going to scratch it up over a time. Solution was some tread plate steps which I had anodised to match the ones on top of the mudguards. Made one for each side to even it out.

defender bullbar 470 .JPG
defender bullbar 470 .JPG (63.96 KiB) Viewed 3389 times

A major feature of this build was to be in cab winch control. The Defender has a host of spare switch positions on the dash for option they have in the UK which are not bought into Oz so I decided to utilise those. three controls..an On/Off isolator switch in the central flanked by an "In" and an "Out" which only work when the isolator switch is in the "On" position.

Started out by sourcing the switched from a wrecker and then working out the wiring..

defender bullbar 493 .JPG
defender bullbar 493 .JPG (71.36 KiB) Viewed 3389 times

The blank faces were white injection moulding sprayed grey so I had them Laser engraved which I reckon has given a more factory than factory finish. A future build will be a rear winch so there may well be a matching set in the future!

defender bullbar 551.JPG
defender bullbar 551.JPG (60.25 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

I wanted the uhf aerial to be the same height as the roof rack, there by doubling up as a feeler guage/height indicator. The first attempt proved too whippy as the spring base was not strong enough. Found an excellent GME spring base but they don't make an aerial the right length so I turned up an extension to fit between the base and the aerial.

defender bullbar 531.JPG
defender bullbar 531.JPG (50.01 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

The front end dropped 25mm..1"...with the weight of the bar and winch so I fitted some HD Land rover front spings and a set of OME shocks for good measure which has bought the front back up nicley.

defender bullbar 515.JPG
defender bullbar 515.JPG (57.06 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

All finished and ready tyo hit the road

defender bullbar 538.JPG
defender bullbar 538.JPG (89.18 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby ronb » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:17 am

looks excellent! Only problem I see is that your scan-gage is facing the passenger.

rb
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby cgalpha08 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:24 pm

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/land-r ... ?imageNo=0
just thought this might spark some interest. :D
2008 H3 Alpha
cgalpha08
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 08 H3 Alpha/07 H2

Postby Seth » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 pm

Those are a couple of nice Defenders. Almost too nice to scratch up...almost.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Happy Hummer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Looking good as always.

Chris
Happy Hummer
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: Hummer H3