nuggets Defender

How you built it

nuggets Defender

Postby nugget » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 am

Well it has begun...nothing too adventerous just new rubber and rims

H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 07 H3 Adventure

Re: nuggets Defender

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:52 am

I expect this is going to be a good thread :yup: :D
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby big2dabank » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:02 am

OOOOHHHHH, AAHHHHHH. I like!
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby Bellvis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:21 am

Soooo awesome!!!!
Can't wait to see pics of this guy in the brush!

My Dr. just grabbed a black D90 and they are sooo cool!
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby ronb » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am

tdi? Defenders are great trucks, there are some great vids about them and their history on TopGear. Wish we could get them and real Gwagons in this country.
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby Seth » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 pm

I am looking forward to see what you do with it. Is the bed canopy easily removable? Looks like it would be pretty cool with the truck bed open.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby ronb » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:52 pm

here's the baddest ass one I have seen in a while -- a 130 on bolt-on portals!! An uber-cool build over on Exped Portal that I have been following for quite a while. I really love these trucks and hate the fact that you can get them ANYWHERE in the world except here.

here's Top Gear's take on them and some pics of that build:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yoKzatUkI

3834708.jpg
3834708.jpg (85.96 KiB) Viewed 4692 times

3831033.jpg
3831033.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 4692 times

101109rk_PL04229_web800s.jpg
101109rk_PL04229_web800s.jpg (116.49 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby nugget » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 am

The TDi motor has been replaced in the current model with the 2.4L turbo diesel which is also used in the Ford Transit van here in Aussie...not sure about else where. It is matched to a 6 speed manual gearbox which I am fast falling in love...sorry guys but I am a manual man from way back.

Seth I haven't taken the back off yet. The canvas come off pretty easily but the frame is a bolt on job. I have had a pinched nerve in my shoulder and am ham strung a bit...can you beleive I haven't crawled under it yet!

Fitted a scan guage 2 today and have a set of 2" wider flares coming..in fact I think they are the same as the ones on truck ronb has posted pics of. The wider tyres are sitting out fromt eh guards a bit so I need to cover up a bit after my recent run in with plod!
H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby The Other Rob » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 am

nugget wrote:the 2.4L turbo diesel which is also used in the Ford Transit van here in Aussie...not sure about else where.

Else where, like here where in the states where, like most everything else that brings the suck, the Transit van has a 2.0 I4 GAS motor that makes a whopping 136 Hp.. That's ONLY if you can manage to get it to spin up to 6300rpm without having the motor fly out from under the bonnet..

I honestly thing the Transit could be converted into a a really neat small camper vehicle with a little work.. The only downside is that from the back of the front seats to the rear doors, it's about 4 inches short of being 6ft. Which would make it difficult for anyone 6ft tall to sleep in the back without being caddy cornered..

Anyroads.. Back to this POS Rover build thing.. Bastard.. :lol:
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby nugget » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:00 am

Simple start with a scan guage. This is a temporary position until I do some more serious interior work.

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby ronb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:50 pm

scan guages are always a great place to start...but your next project should be putting the steering wheel on the correct side of the truck!!
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby The Other Rob » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Ok.. Curious.. Steering wheel is on the right.. (wrong side).. What's the layout of the gas, brake and clutch..? Which side of the wheel is the blinker stalk on..?? Looks like the gear shift is on the far side of the transfer case shifter..

What else is outta place..??
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby H3-ING » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Sweet. I like this build up. Looking forward to more pics 8) The LR's Def' have an eye catching unique look.

nugget wrote:Well it has begun...nothing too adventerous just new rubber and rims

H3-ING
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha Off-Road

Postby nugget » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:07 am

The Other Rob wrote:Ok.. Curious.. Steering wheel is on the right.. (wrong side).. What's the layout of the gas, brake and clutch..? Which side of the wheel is the blinker stalk on..?? Looks like the gear shift is on the far side of the transfer case shifter..

What else is outta place..??

The Defender is like no other..believe me.

clutch and brake are for the left foot and the mojo pedal is the right. Steering wheel is exactly where it should be thank you very much...I like it exactly where it is.

Gear shift is on the far side which is a bit of a stretch for reverse, 1st and 2nd for a vertically challenged bloke like me, but is easy for 5th and 6th..thats right.....5th AND 6th

R 1 3 5
2 4 6

is the pattern. Reverse is over rated anyway.

Blinkers, horn and high beam are on a stalk on the LHS of the wheel, along with a small headlight stalk. Wipers are on the RHS with one intermittent speed to save confusion.

Hand brake is no better positioned than the H3 execpt it works really, really well. It is on the side of the drive line tunnel right where you can smack your left knee on it..perfect as you don't forget where it is.

Hardest thing to get used to so far is the ignition which is on the LHS of the steering wheel which is fine in a LH drive truck but most unusual in a RH drive.
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby ronb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 am

all better now! ...but you may still have issues with reverse!
Attachments
defender10-11-13004_83.jpg
defender10-11-13004_83.jpg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Next

Return to Builds