rear of h1 vibrates very bad when braking

Welcome & Introductions

rear of h1 vibrates very bad when braking

Postby forumelias-1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:29 pm

hey guys, I just joined this club and was hoping for some help. I have a 2000 h1 wagon I just got it back from the dealer (some body work) and drove it for 40 miles highway and city and had no problems. Then a few days later noticed the boot on the drivers half shaft had a cut and was leaking. since I wasn't sure if the half shaft was damaged and it was over 14 years old I decided to get a new half shaft. I drove it to my brothers house to do the work, when I would slightly apply the brakes, there is a very bad and loud vibration coming from the rear. everyone kept telling me to check my rotors, but they are only about a year and a half old. so to try and see what was going on , I opened the back doors, lied down in the back and had one of those inspection cameras where I taped the camera end of wire by the rotor then as my brother drove down an empty street, I was watching the rotors on the screen and they were turning straight. Then when he lightly applied the brakes, the drivers side rotor started to wobble like crazy (that was scary to watch), vibrate and make this horrific loud noise. However, when he applied the brakes hard it seems fine. After installing the new half shaft and some praying, I took it for a test drive and after the first couple miles the vibrations started again. any ideas would be greatly appreciated
forumelias-1
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2000 H1 hummer

Re: rear of h1 vibrates very bad when braking

Postby forumelias-1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:14 pm

I greased u joints and everything else underneath, took it for another test drive and it still vibrated but it took a little longer this time. i crawled back under neath to look at the rotors and they were very hot. i don't know how hot is normal, but these were extremely hot. i also noticed that they were orange and so was about half the brake pads (same orange before test drive when cold). I'm guessing it might be from excess heat because the pads were also kind of chipped away where it meets the rotor. is the caliper bad?
forumelias-1
New User
New User

Postby JustinOK » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:26 am

There isn't a whole lot of traffic on this site, but if you want some advice you should go to the H1/HMMWV section of "Humvee.net". There are lots of members there that have seen pretty much every problem with these trucks. There are parts suppliers on there, as well as a few very experienced H1 mechanics (that actually took the AM General courses).

Also, check out "flashoffroad.com" for more great H1 info.

Sounds like some oil/grease may have got on at least one of your rotors (one rotor is gripping on one side, other one isn't). Try using a bunch of brake cleaner on them to clean them off. Also, you might end up needing new brake pads because of the oil/grease. To change the rear brake pads you will need a special brake caliper tool to compress AND rotate the piston back in the caliper.
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby forumelias-1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:15 am

thanks a lot for the info JustinOK, i'll try posting it there. that's a great idea maybe some of the grease did get on there, cause it is a big coincidence that ever since it started leaking grease, that's when the brake problem occurred. I will try a can of brake cleaner on pads and rotors. do u think its possible to get rotors and pads clean enough to avoid replacement? I don't know if the grease sinks in on either one. thanks again
forumelias-1
New User
New User

Postby JustinOK » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:13 pm

I see you posted over there. Just be patient. That forum isn't quite as busy on weekends. Do a search on there for similar topics, I think there was someone else with a possible similar problem recently.

The rotors should clean up relatively easy, you shouldn't need to replace them (unless somehow they were worn out, warped, etc).

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
JustinOK

Postby forumelias-1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Justin you were right. I did get plenty of responses. I did ended up getting rotors as well cause one side was worn. I hope this does it. thanks again I appreciate your help.
forumelias-1
New User
New User

Postby JustinOK » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:26 am

Glad to help.

JustinOK

Return to Welcome