Axle Seal Replacement -- DFW

H2 Specific Information

Axle Seal Replacement -- DFW

Postby Charles Helm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:58 am

On my last service trip, the dealer recommended replacing two axle seals, the left front and left rear. They were unable to get the front left axle out of the diff to replace the seal as it was "seized" inside, supposedly a problem with the C-clip

Their suggested alternative was a complete front diff rebuild for $6K. :wall: Does anyone know of another competent place in the Dallas area that might be able to replace this seal for a realistic amount?

Thanks.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H2 SUT

Re: Axle Seal Replacement -- DFW

Postby Charles Helm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Called the local Jeep guru shop and they put me on to a custom shop that does GM. Called the guy and he is familiar with the problem so will probably get him to re-do both sides of the front axle.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby DFW Spartans » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 pm

Charles Helm wrote:On my last service trip, the dealer recommended replacing two axle seals, the left front and left rear. They were unable to get the front left axle out of the diff to replace the seal as it was "seized" inside, supposedly a problem with the C-clip

Their suggested alternative was a complete front diff rebuild for $6K. :wall: Does anyone know of another competent place in the Dallas area that might be able to replace this seal for a realistic amount?

Thanks.
Sewell Cadilac off Lemmon is the only Certified Service Center I know of in Dallas. If there are others you know of, please share. Condo city living limits what I can actually do myself. There have to be more affordable options out there. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
DFW Spartans
New User
New User

Vehicle: Hummer H3T

Postby Gunner_45 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Sewell is where I bought all 3 of my Hummers. Over the past few years, their level of service for the Hummer line has declined quite a bit as the original Hummer techs have moved on. The only reason I still let them service my truck is the loaner vehicle they provide while my stuff is in the shop. Were they to discontinue my loaners, I would be seeking a less expensive and more trustworthy alternative myself. They are expensive, but they do stand behind their work. Just be real careful about misdiagnosis.......They were trying to sell me on a new gauge cluster ($700+/-) when the true issue was a bad t-stat and sending unit. Thankfully, I had enough sense to do some research on the various forums, find the exact same "well documented" issue and effect the repair myself.........Thank you F5 and all the other great contributors to these forums. If you find someone you like, that is reasonably priced and that you can trust...Please share.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
- Plato
Gunner_45
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2010 H3 Adventure

Postby Charles Helm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Sewell Cadillac has basically done all of my work (except tires) since the Hummer dealers were discontinued but given their quote of $6000 and a differential rebuild as the only fix for the axle seal issue I had to look elsewhere.

I dropped the truck off yesterday with a shop that does a lot of 4x4 work including GM and has run into the same axle problem that I have with the front diff. I won't recommend them until I get it back in good shape. The recommendation came from Collins Bros. Jeep service folks. They have worked on my Jeep and have a good reputation around here.

This has been an expensive year with the H2...
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Charles Helm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:19 pm

DFW Spartans wrote:]Sewell Cadilac off Lemmon is the only Certified Service Center I know of in Dallas. If there are others you know of, please share. Condo city living limits what I can actually do myself. There have to be more affordable options out there. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As far as I know, only Cadillac dealers are "Hummer certified." I talked to another one, I think it was Crest but I can't recall, when I got my transmission quote. It was lower than Sewell but not dramatically so.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Charles Helm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Picked my truck up today. Both front axle seals done, plus the oil pan gasket the dealership said I needed. Valve cover gaskets and oil cooler seal. And for a bonus, the water pump was leaking so I had it replaced.

So far so good, although I have maybe 50 miles on it since I picked it up.

T4 Customs did the work.

http://www.t4customs.com/

Sewell is closer to the house, has loan cars, and is certified. If they had done the work it would have been $7000-8000 best I can tell.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Return to H2 Tech