Do Hummers use Takata Airbag deployers?

General Tech, Non Vehicle Specific

Do Hummers use Takata Airbag deployers?

Postby MtnDog » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:22 pm

MtnDog
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Re: Do Hummers use Takata Airbag deployers?

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 am

I have never heard Hummer mentioned when listening to reports on these but don't know for sure.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Re: Do Hummers use Takata Airbag deployers?

Postby f5fstop » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:44 am

The recall is actually from Takata; GM is only the middle man in the process, since they sold the vehicle, have the service network and have the customer data base.
The government is putting one big foot down on Takata to make sure the ones that need recalling are recalled.
GM, since the ignition problem, which I will not discuss, is recalling all they need to recall as notified by Takata. Don't think you will see any BS coming out of GM on this. They will do the recalls, as required, as parts are available from Takata.

As for manufacture....
I'm not sure who did the H2/H3 inflators and bags; there are quite a few manufactures, such as ZF TRW, Autoliv, and some others.

As you can see from the latest published recall list by NHTSA; GM was actually on the very low end of using these Takata inflators. It appears, so far, only 2007-2008 trucks, as well as a year of Saabs, and the Pontiac Vipe, although the responsibility of GM was actually a Toyota Matrix

But as Takata does more testing, there is always a possibility that more GM vehicles will be added. I know I heard the other day there might be some more added, but not with GM vehicles, VW, Tesla, Mercedes, Tata, and a few others that Takata has noted to NHTSA that they also have ignitors with ammonium nitrate propellant.

Takata also before this recall, had the largest (at that time) recall for seat belt buckles in 1995.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Return to General Tech