Restoring Black Trim

General Tech, Non Vehicle Specific

Restoring Black Trim

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Just recently saw this posted on FB so thought I would give it a try. Don't know how bad it is on the H2 but the black trim on H3s fades really bad, especially the a-pillar pieces. I have tried all kinds of products from Back to Black to peanut oil and while it looks good for a while fades again pretty quickly. I will post up down the road how the results lasted and I am not guaranteeing anything so try at your on risk as you could actually damage the trim.

Take a heat gun to the trim and it will heat up restoring the black color. It doesn't give the most even coverage but you can go back over areas that need more heat. Just don't heat it up too much so you don't actually damage it.

Here is how the driver side looked before I started. Hadn't done anything to it in at least a year. It's sprinkling, that's why it's spotting.
IMG_2171.jpg
IMG_2171.jpg (107.35 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

Here it is with the front face done to compare to the side. Sorry, a bit blurry. This is also before I went back and evened it up a bit.
IMG_2172.jpg
IMG_2172.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

Compare the passenger side which is already done versus the driver side before I started.
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg (149.26 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

Pull the door seal off so you can better access the trim and not worry about damaging it. Did the entire way along the roof a well (passenger side so far) but it didn't seem to do much on the very back which must be slightly different. Of course it doesn't fade nearly as bad as the rest. Give it a shot if you want but do it with care. Once it stops raining again I'll finish up the driver side.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Restoring Black Trim

Postby clean slate » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Can not wait to see if it works long term. I don't have a heat gun so I'll have to go with mapp gas!!!
clean slate
Club Vice President
Club Vice President

Vehicle: 2007 h3

Re: Restoring Black Trim

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:19 pm

I was surprised that after doing this it even beaded up in the rain. Looks so much better but long term will be the true test. I borrowed a heat gun we had at work that nobody was going to miss over the weekend :where: :lol:
Mark

Postby H3slate » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Interesting technique, definitely curious how it will hold up over time.

My best results have been from Rustoleum Trim & Bumper paint. It doesn't run like the dyes do, and has held up really well over the past year. I removed the a pillar trim and painted it. Waiting for the right opportunity to remove the rest of the trim and spray it.
2009 H3 Championship Edition
2006 Slate Blue H3 Adventure

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
H3slate
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:12 am

Initially it looked great but long term you get the same results. It looks as bad now as it did before I did this. I am thinking about pulling all the trim and painting it as well. Sounds like the Rustoleum Trim and Bumper is worth giving a try.
Mark

Postby bunger » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:46 am

Yeah, I tried the heat gun about a year and a half ago and it lasted about a year. My next move will be the Rustoleum Bumper & Trim paint.
The latest buzz on FB is all about Wipe New (as seen on TV). I don't think it will be any better long term.
bunger
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:54 pm

I hear people swear by Wipe New and others that say it's no better than all the rest. If i recall it's fairly pricey compared to other products to if it doesn't really do any better why spend the money.
Mark

Return to General Tech