H3 Sunroof Drain Tubes

General Tech, Non Vehicle Specific

H3 Sunroof Drain Tubes

Postby Bayrat » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Does anyone know how to access the lower end of the drain tubes? We had a bad wind the other day and the truck was covered with small tree particles, a couple days later a torrential rainstorm. I found a small amount of water on the passenger floor mat. Blew the front drains and they sounded clear, water flows OK. Looked from underneath and can't find the end of the tubes, appear to be inaccessible or behind a panel somewhere.

Only other thing I can think of is the water entered via the air intake/heater.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Championship

Re: H3 Sunroof Drain Tubes

Postby Seth » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Bayrat wrote:Does anyone know how to access the lower end of the drain tubes? We had a bad wind the other day and the truck was covered with small tree particles, a couple days later a torrential rainstorm. I found a small amount of water on the passenger floor mat. Blew the front drains and they sounded clear, water flows OK. Looked from underneath and can't find the end of the tubes, appear to be inaccessible or behind a panel somewhere.

Only other thing I can think of is the water entered via the air intake/heater.

I think they drain inside the fenders. You have to pull a lot of stuff off to find the ends.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Bayrat » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:49 pm

The reason I asked is that the solution to the sunroof leaks I have read (other than cleaning the drains constantly) is to cut the crimped end of the drain hose to allow a free flow of debris. Thinking this leak is more air intake related. It rained about 2" in an hour, wind driven.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby The Other Rob » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:42 am

There's a rubber hose that runs down each A-pillar, up under the dash and then pulgs into the firewall for draining out side the truck when it's not plugged..

Driverside.. I saw the tech reach his hand up under my dash and just yank it out.. I do not know exactly where it came from.. But it's up under there somewhere, you'll just have to stand out your head with a flashlight and look around for it..

Passenger side.. Bit more difficult.. Open the glove compartment.. Unhook that little cord on the right and let it really open up... (Left hand goes here) Pull the cover off the end of the dash (right hand goes in here).. Pop out the passenger air vent.. (eyes go here..) Find the hose and pull it out..

Once you've got 'em out find the biggest drill bit you have that fits in the hole and drill that X out of the bottom.. Put 'em all back in and together..

One that's done, go on and pull the headliner down where you can get your hands and eyes up in there and make sure the hoses are still connected to the sunroof.. If they are on or off it doesn't matter because you need to get the ends out where you can blow in them.. You've got the holes drilled out, but lets assume there's some gunk backed up in that line.. Got the line out..?? Get a big swig of water and spit it down the hose and blow like hell.. Yes the hose is nasty, but you're not a cat are you..?? Do both lines.. Get a LITTLE dab of silicone sealer and put it on the stem coming out ot the sunroof that the hose slides onto so it won't come off when you don't want it to later on.. Put it all back together again.. It'll prolly take oyu an hour or two depending on how quick you find the ends of the hoses in the firewall and how easy you find it to pull the headliner back to get to the other ends.. It's still a lot easier and quicker than drying pulling back the carpet and putting a leaf blower in the cab for three days everytime it rains a bit..

Also.. If you still have warranty just take it in and let the dealer do it.. It's a pretty common fix for most all GM vehicles with a sunroof from what I've been told.
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Robo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:50 am

See the small square? The drain runs inside that square.
h3 cowl trim.jpg
h3 cowl trim.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 10558 times

rear drains
h3 rear sunroof drain.jpg
h3 rear sunroof drain.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 10558 times
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby Bayrat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 am

Thank you both very much for the information. I am a bit confused as to whether the drains exit inside the lower frame and are accessed through the small holes in the kick panels or if they exit up under the dash at firewall connections.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Robo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:54 pm

The front tubes run down the a pillars and inside the fender wall just forward of the door hinges, then water exits out the bottom of the vehicle.

So on the cabin side of the firewall but on the panel/fender in front of the door panels
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.

Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Postby The Other Rob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Robo wrote:The front tubes run down the a pillars and inside the fender wall just forward of the door hinges, then water exits out the bottom of the vehicle.

So on the cabin side of the firewall but on the panel/fender in front of the door panels

I wanna see pics.. I know the guy that did mine reached up under the dash to access the tube ends
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby Robo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:22 pm

The Other Rob wrote:I wanna see pics.. I know the guy that did mine reached up under the dash to access the tube ends

Are you volunteering your truck for a photo expose :evil: :evil:

:lol:

It's very possible that there is a connection from the bottom of the a pillar to the tube that runs down inside the fender wall. I have never had to take one apart that far.

Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Postby The Other Rob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm kinda starting to think MAYBE there's more than one style of drains going on.. I know the pics shown in another thread a few days back, look nothing like the drains I saw pulled out of mine and drilled out.
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby upholstryguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Greetings from Arizona:

I believe the answers that you are receiving are all assuming that you have a factory sunroof installed in your H3.

If you have an aftermarket sunroof installed, such as a Webasto or Inalfa sunroof, the drain hoses are generally
routed slightly differently.

Although the front drain hoses do go down the "A" pillars, they generally end inside the toe-kick area just behind the
trim . If you do have an aftermarket sunroof installed, it's possible that the installer didn't remove enough of the insulating foam
out of that compartment to allow the water to drain sufficiently. In a hard rain situation, this would cause the the draining water to
fill this small area and spill over into you floor area.

Another thing that might cause this is the bottom end of the drain hose simply coming out of it's place inside the toe-kick area and releasing the
drained water onto the floor/carpet area. An easy way to tell is to remove the door sill and toe-kick panel.

This is all assuming that you have an aftermarket sunroof in your vehicle. Incidentally, I was the sunroof installer at a hummer dealership here in
Arizona before I decided to go back to self-employment.

The reason I know about this particular kind of sunroof leak is because I learned it the hard way. :wall: One of my very first installs resulted in the flooding of a customer's vehicle. I had to gut the whole inside and hang the carpets up to dry for three days.

If this is a factory sunroof then, the answers given in the previous replies are right on the money; or there abouts.

Upholstryguy
upholstryguy
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H1 1999

Postby Bayrat » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Thank you very much, it is a factory sunroof. Wish it was not there, I don't use it, just a PITA for me now that it leaks. Will pull those kick panels to check the hoses, it looks as though they just pop off, held by two pins based upon the sketch above.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Robo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:33 am

Bayrat wrote:Thank you very much, it is a factory sunroof. Wish it was not there, I don't use it, just a PITA for me now that it leaks. Will pull those kick panels to check the hoses, it looks as though they just pop off, held by two pins based upon the sketch above.

Forgot to mention this, the drain tube behind the kick panels may be a bit short too. What was happening was the drains were working correctly, but the end of the tube would wiggle itself over the square hole and would allow water into the cabin. Add just a short piece of tube to the end of what you got there and that fixed it.

But not too much though. Then it just gets bound or kinked and your back to wet feet again. :wall:

Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bayrat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 am

Robo wrote:
Bayrat wrote:Thank you very much, it is a factory sunroof. Wish it was not there, I don't use it, just a PITA for me now that it leaks. Will pull those kick panels to check the hoses, it looks as though they just pop off, held by two pins based upon the sketch above.

Forgot to mention this, the drain tube behind the kick panels may be a bit short too. What was happening was the drains were working correctly, but the end of the tube would wiggle itself over the square hole and would allow water into the cabin. Add just a short piece of tube to the end of what you got there and that fixed it.

But not too much though. Then it just gets bound or kinked and your back to wet feet again. :wall:

It has not leaked since I blew the drains but that job will be on the agenda for later in the week, or weekend. My week was in as of 2100 hours last night and I have to work Saturday, so soon I will be heading out with the boat in tow for a little stress relief.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Seth » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:47 am

Sunroofs are horrible and something almost almost always goes wrong with them. If they aren't leaking, then the moter is dying or the track is binding. I'll never buy a car with a sunroof if I can help it.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Next

Return to General Tech