Ford Raptor

Any 4x4 Talk & Discussion

Re: Ford Raptor

Postby Robo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:20 pm

I almost hate to say it, but now that I work aty a Ford dealer....
the Rator is bbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd.

Don't think it would take the trails like a 3t would because of clearance though
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby wpage » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Looks nice in black...
Ford tough and with a 6 speed trans.
"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3

Postby PhilD » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:24 pm

What do you know, four years after I started this thread I ended up with a Raptor, definitely a lot of fun :-)

rap_1.jpg
rap_1.jpg (272.32 KiB) Viewed 2278 times

rap2.jpg
rap2.jpg (275.58 KiB) Viewed 2278 times

rap3.jpg
rap3.jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Have to ask, how come it's so much cleaner than the Jeep :lol:

How was the trip to Miami?
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby PhilD » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm

LOL :D The Raptor is no rock crawler! That said if for some high speed off-road fun I think it would be hard to beat out the box. Jeep could take some lessons from Ford too, the four "upfitter" switches have relays and wiring already in to the engine bay for accessories. Front Torsen diff as standard and rear locker that can be engaged in any t-case setting and can be used up to any speed.

Florida was great, we got around and saw a lot. We stayed on Stinger Island, Palm Beach, only went as far north as Jupiter, but south to Coral Gables. Did South Beach and Lauderdale beaches too :-)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 am

I wish I had priced out the Raptors. Bought my wife a new F150 last year for Christmas and if I had known I could have gotten a Raptor for the same price or pretty much fully loaded for about $4K more I would have been real tempted. The only Raptor I had seen there was a couple of months earlier and they didn't have the sticker in the window, just a price tag of something like $84K :o

It's no beast like you have in the Raptor but I have to say, I am real impressed with what Ford has done with their Ecoboost system. Great mileage (17.5 average city) for a full size four door 4x4 but if you put your foot down it will get up and move. How does it tow? Been thinking more about retiring the Alpha to tow status and getting a new DD but was thinking Super Duty with a diesel.

Sounds like you had a good time in Miami. Never really spent any time down there. Did the Super Bowl half time show down there back in '95 and had to spend a couple of days a week there for over a month but it was pretty much all at the stadium so not a lot of wild memories. Though the payoff was I got to spend half the game on the sidelines dancing and flirting with the SF 49ers cheer leaders so I guess it was worth it :lol:
Mark

Postby PhilD » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 am

Ford dealers have been price gouging on Raptors. As they are SVT vehicles they only get so many and can't swap them between dealers like they can other vehicles. The local dealer was asking $10k over MSRP when I was looking, but I found one in Houston for MSRP.

There are a dime a dozen around here, I must see half a dozen a day, my neighbor even has one, as well as a Jeep :) I only saw one in Florida the time I was there, but I did see a bucket load of Bentleys!

The Eco Boost is a great engine and I think is outselling the V8 in F150. Ford have done a good job with their trucks, there's a reason they didn't go begging to the government for a handout. Good to know we have one auto manufacturer that doesn't think we live in a nationalist state :D

The Raptor tows fine, no problem with performance, but the soft suspension does limit the max load. I was doing 80-85 on the freeway and had plenty of get up and go. It's no diesel and has one of the worse tow capacities of the F150 range, but the 6.2 definitely helps it towing.

rap5.jpg
rap5.jpg (216.65 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm

That is funny about your neighbor having both as well. I don't see many around here other than one I pass on the way to work once or twice a week. I have never been much of a brand guy when it comes to vehicles but when it comes to trucks I definitely lean toward Ford. I am with you, good to know at least one doesn't expect handouts and can survive on their own.
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:13 am

Alan Mulally is the reason no actual bailout or bankruptcy was filed. In 2006, he re-mortgaged all of Fords US properties to put about 26 billion in the bank. He also dumped Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata for about 2 billion, and a year after the sale, Tata had to request a bailout from the Brits for Jaguar. He eventually also dumped Volvo, Aston Martin and a great majority of Mazda. Smart man, great ideas, and that allowed Ford to avoid the same problems GM and Chrysler had.

As for a bailout...no, they didn't get a cash infusion as large as GM or Chrysler, but let's not forget that Ford did get 5.9 billion in low cost government backed loans to overhaul some factories and to invest in hybrid technology. Would they have survived without the loans? Probably, but surely not as strong as they ended up.

However, if Mulally had not come along and did what he did back in 2006, Ford would have gone under before GM or Chrysler had received their bailout. They were hurting like hell and hiring Mulally was the smartest thing the Ford Family had done in years.

There product did help, but the main reason was Alan Mulally and his knowledge, or maybe luck, to read the future. But their product ratings are falling now, and it appears they are going through the quality issues Chrysler had a few years ago. Just look at the problems they are having with their dual clutch auto transmissions and my touch systems, They dropped like stones in the 2011 JD powers ratings from 5th the year before to 23rd last year. Hopefully, they will pick up.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby wpage » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 pm

They are looking good...
Seeing more Raptors around here 8)
"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8
W