JK's a Mechanical nightmare?

Any 4x4 Talk & Discussion

JK's a Mechanical nightmare?

Postby Rich » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Now that the JK has been out for awhile I'm hearing from people who own both H1 and a JK that the JK is far more unreliable?

A few quotes:

The JK Wranglers have been terrible compared to the previous TJs.

As far as the 08 Wrangler here is what has been replaced with 30K on the clock, 90% street driving..

Two steering gears (Jeep uses cheap Chinese made boxes)

Three steering shafts (The heat breaks them down and causes clunky steering)

Torque converter replaced due to it not unlocking correctly

Three sets of ball joints (Jeep is using non servicable, plastic lined ball joints. Some people are having them fail with 6K on the clock!)

Tie rod and drag link ends replaced for being loose.

Track bar bushings bad and track bar mount holes wallowed out causing death wobble. Got a new track bar and had to weld washers to the mount holes.

Rear pinion seal leak.

Needless to say I will never own a Chrysler product again. Many people on the forums have these issues and I have already sunk a ton of money repairing and trying to put upgraded parts in this Jeep.

Yep, my experience too... Chrysler's quality is non-existent, roughly the equal to the American Yugo but contemporary standards.

I have had Jeeps before. The last Jeep I had is the reason I will probably never own another one. Almost everything that you could imagine broke on the damn thing. It was my wife's daily driver and was only wheeled occasionally. We didn't have the truck a year and it was gone. Prior to that my Jeep experiences weren't bad. Don't blame you for wanting to move on

I've always kinda kicked around the idea of getting one for the wife (just so we could have a covertable) so I'm wondering what the experiences of JK owners here have been so far?
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Re: JK's a Mechanical nightmare?

Postby Bayrat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:11 pm

I lemon lawed mine, 2008 Rubicon.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Championship

Postby Rich » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 am

Bayrat wrote:I lemon lawed mine, 2008 Rubicon.

I could just see that now with my wife. Trade in her 11 year old 2000 Tahoe which other than a transmission replacement has never been in the shop. Even the transmission I take part blame for - towing a 3000lb boat and I'm heavy on the skinny pedal half the time forgetting to push the tow/haul button. Thinking I should wait for the bugs to be worked out - if they ever are.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:55 am

I know she was eyeing that white one I rented while I was out there earlier this year ;) :lol:

Based on driving that one I don't think she would be very happy with you going from the Tahoo to a JK as her DD :no:
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby mechmike » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:07 pm

my neighbor has a 2wd JK :lol: and it has a 3" spacer lift with 35's. I asked him if he would like to go offroading with us and thats when I realized it was 2wd.
mechmike
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2009h3t Monster

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Another forum I am on which has a fair amount of Jeep guys had a thread not to long ago with a bunch of guys pissed off that they offered them in 2wd :lol:

Brought back memories of the first trip to Tellico when we were passing a bunch of Jeep guys on the trail. As I passed a couple of them I heard them debating how we were able to get our Hummers up there and one of them actually asked the other if you could even order a Hummer with 4wd :wall: :lol:
Mark

Postby stjames151 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Liberty, for the win. :lol:
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Postby Seth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Mark wrote:Another forum I am on which has a fair amount of Jeep guys had a thread not to long ago with a bunch of guys pissed off that they offered them in 2wd :lol:

Brought back memories of the first trip to Tellico when we were passing a bunch of Jeep guys on the trail. As I passed a couple of them I heard them debating how we were able to get our Hummers up there and one of them actually asked the other if you could even order a Hummer with 4wd :wall: :lol:

I got into on a JK forum with the guys regarding the Hummer's off-road capabilities. No one believed Hummers could off-road until I told them how many hard core trails I wheeled in a stock Hummer. It was a good thing Timgco was there to back me up on my claims. Then they said it must be an H1 Alpha or Humvee. It is funny at all the misconceptions out there.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby ronb » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:06 pm

Seth wrote:I got into on a JK forum with the guys regarding the Hummer's off-road capabilities. No one believed Hummers could off-road until I told them how many hard core trails I wheeled in a stock Hummer. It was a good thing Timgco was there to back me up on my claims. Then they said it must be an H1 Alpha or Humvee. It is funny at all the misconceptions out there.

"Hard core" means different things to different peeps -- I usually refrain from using that term because most the trails I have done are far from hard core to most serious wheelers. I would call the hammers hard core. Parts of Fordyce and some of the Rubicon, a few trails in Moab. Most of the stuff we do is relatively tame in comparison.

That being said, yes a hummer is very capable (more than most off the showroom floor) and the average wheeler doesn't realize that because of all the negative hype out there...plus they don't see them on the trails very often.
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:34 pm

ronb wrote:"Hard core" means different things to different peeps -- I usually refrain from using that term because most the trails I have done are far from hard core to most serious wheelers.

Like you I refrain from using that term as well for anything we run. If it's something that is pushing the limits of our essentially stock vehicles I would call it a harder trail but I also frequently run with rigs that those harder trails don't even make them break a sweat, sometimes they are just in 2WD. I have been on some trails that rank up there and for me/my rig they were hard core but nothing like crawling through a rock garden where the boulders are close to the size or our rigs, that's hard core in my book.

ronb wrote:That being said, yes a hummer is very capable (more than most off the showroom floor) and the average wheeler doesn't realize that because of all the negative hype out there...plus they don't see them on the trails very often.

Off the showroom floor I would hazard to say there is only one other vehicle that overall will out preform an adventure equipped Hummer and that the Rubi. There are other vehicles that will come close and out perform either in certain situations but I personally think they are 1 and 2 in stock rigs for overall capability. You are absolutely right about the negative hype and not seeing enough on the trails. Used to be that just about every run we went on several years ago down here people would ask if we were shooting a Hummer commercial because they didn't think there was any way real owners would be out there.

Today we got a bit of that negative attitude from some Jeep guys. I wasn't really close enough to tell if it was just fun ribbing but I don't think it was. A highly modified and well built Jeep had just run an obstacle that is definitely a challenge and take some b@lls to run, I do give him credit. We were all at the bottom of that obstacle recovering a stuck Chevy pickup when one of the guys yells down something about when are we going to see a Hummer come up this and something about how he always hears they are the toughest trucks on the planet. Funny how they didn't say jack when they were at the bottom near us. If I was close enough to have heard it I would have let him know I could make that obstacle in my basically stock H3 if I pulled cable at the top like he did and in all honesty I could have but the risk of body damage is to great for me to do it just yet. I would also let him know that I have watched a friend run that obstacle in his H1 in reverse so it was a challenge, but of course it's a bit more dug out now :where: :lol:
Mark

Postby Bayrat » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:48 pm

Only thing I can add is that I love my Jeeps but that does not make up for the terrible treatment I received from Crapsler nor the problems I had with the JK. If you can find a JK used with a HEMI, go for it :lol: Sometime in the future I will own an older model again just for grins.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Championship

Postby Rich » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:40 am

Off the showroom floor I would hazard to say there is only one other vehicle that overall will out preform an adventure equipped Hummer and that the Rubi.

I don't think a stock rubi runs with a H3 alpha (which is a fair comparison both having front lockers). I've wheeled with many Jeeps and OEM never impresses me. OEM Alpha has. 8)
Rich

Postby big2dabank » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Mark wrote:Today we got a bit of that negative attitude from some Jeep guys. I wasn't really close enough to tell if it was just fun ribbing but I don't think it was. A highly modified and well built Jeep had just run an obstacle that is definitely a challenge and take some b@lls to run, I do give him credit. We were all at the bottom of that obstacle recovering a stuck Chevy pickup when one of the guys yells down something about when are we going to see a Hummer come up this and something about how he always hears they are the toughest trucks on the planet. Funny how they didn't say jack when they were at the bottom near us. If I was close enough to have heard it I would have let him know I could make that obstacle in my basically stock H3 if I pulled cable at the top like he did and in all honesty I could have but the risk of body damage is to great for me to do it just yet. I would also let him know that I have watched a friend run that obstacle in his H1 in reverse so it was a challenge, but of course it's a bit more dug out now :where: :lol:

I saw that pic in the other thread and was wondering why the guy was in the same spot for so long. I figured he was hung up in that big hole at the top. To say its dug out is putting it nicely, and there is no way around it.
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Rich wrote:I don't think a stock rubi runs with a H3 alpha (which is a fair comparison both having front lockers). I've wheeled with many Jeeps and OEM never impresses me. OEM Alpha has. 8)

I have walked circles around a few Rubis in my '06 with 33" A/Ts but that was more about driver skill or lack there of in the Jeep owner :lol:

big2dabank wrote:I saw that pic in the other thread and was wondering why the guy was in the same spot for so long. I figured he was hung up in that big hole at the top. To say its dug out is putting it nicely, and there is no way around it.

It takes some b@lls to run that hill so I do give him credit for that but it was also a trailered trail rig so no worries. He was at the top for a while though I wasn't really paying any attention then I started hearing the winch. I didn't walk up there to look but would guess that there is a 3' ledge there on the right now where the hole is and you have to at least somewhat climb the tree above it on the left to get up and over. I know you really wanted to tackle that hill but I wouldn't suggest it at this time :no:
Mark

Return to Any 4x4