New H3 Transmission problem already

H3 Specific Information

New H3 Transmission problem already

Postby shepherd luver » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Well, i now have 940 miles on my H3 Adv. with the 5cyl. At 620 miles, on my way to work the engine check lite came on. i made it to work and dialed onstar. they did a diag. check and found a code for Transmission lockup. The local Hummer dealer picked up the veh. and brought it to the shop. they called later and told me the Torque converter was defective. they had one overnited and installed and checked the transmission and told me all is now fine. the code that they came up with was PO741 Requested PO700 AND Mil illumination inspected as per bulletin#PIP4535C. Has internal torque conveter clutch material loss of bonding. while it seems to be fine now, i notice on very windy days while driving into a strong headwind the transmission seems like its searching for final drive. is this normal due to the not so great amount of power? doesnt seem lkie there is slippage, holds steady at about 2000-21000 rpms at 65mph. was there a bad batch of torque converters or is this a single issue with mine? thanks
mark.o
shepherd luver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 08 Suburban 2500

Re: New H3 Transmission problem already

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:24 pm

I have not heard of a bad batch but there are always going to be the odd issue here or there that are unforeseen, sorry it happened to you. I wouldn't be surprised if driving into the head wind it shifts between gears, probably not an issue. I am also sure you are feeling/sensing more than is really there due to having the failure, have done this in the past myself :where:
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby shepherd luver » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks mark, you are probably correct about sensing or feeling the issue due to the repair. I'm not to upset. The Hummer dealer (Bergstrom Hummer of Neenah) has a very good service dept. and they are honest poeple that shoot straight. i questioned about swapping the complete transmission. they told me if any future problems arise they will do it. Guess i just picked the problem child off of the lot.
mark.o
shepherd luver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby alrock » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:01 pm

The (lack of) power in the H3 can make it search for gears into a strong wind. I have different shift points due to the pcmforless tune but I can have a hard time around 75-77mph if heading into a strong headwind. I have to slow to 73ish to keep it in 4th.
alrock
Chapter President - Arizona
Chapter President - Arizona

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby HummBebe » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:55 pm

A transmission 'hunting for gears' is a trait of GM transmissions in general.

I just shift into third until I no longer need it.
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby c3 rolling » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:23 am

+1 on the transmission always wandering around for gears. On the subject of your toque converter, thats really wierd because I always thought there was no way a company can screw those up :wall: . Dont let it affect your faith in the H3, its a great rig.
Nitto NTG 34" . Helo Maxx 16x8 . Bilstein Cognitos + Rancho 9000XL Shocks . Trail Duty Bump Stops . 24" Leveled . Steel Craft Winch Brush Guard . Mile Marker 8k Winch . GM Rock Rails . GM UCP . Boulder Acc Rear Skids . Hill Job Light Bar . 4 Pro Comp 5" Lights . Safari Snorkel . Air Doc Intake . Walker Muffler . Masterflow Air Compressor . Scan Gauge 2 . Alpine System .
c3 rolling
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 08 H3

Postby f5fstop » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:11 am

Yes, there was a quality spill by the supplier of torque converters (GM does not make their own TC). One thing to make sure of, is that the dealer DID flush the trans after the replacement to remove any possible fibers from being inside the trans.
As for the hunting, are you absolutely sure it is hunting between 4th and 3rd, or just the torque converter is unlocking?
Yesterday, NEO and I on our ammo trip to Grand Junction (which was a total failure), on the hills of I-70, I could feel the TC unlock quite a few times at 75 mph while cresting a hill, and occasionally, it would drop all the way down into third.
The TC should unlock before a drop into third, and it can lock in third manual.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Postby shepherd luver » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:19 pm

f5fstop wrote:Yes, there was a quality spill by the supplier of torque converters (GM does not make their own TC). One thing to make sure of, is that the dealer DID flush the trans after the replacement to remove any possible fibers from being inside the trans.
As for the hunting, are you absolutely sure it is hunting between 4th and 3rd, or just the torque converter is unlocking?
Yesterday, NEO and I on our ammo trip to Grand Junction (which was a total failure), on the hills of I-70, I could feel the TC unlock quite a few times at 75 mph while cresting a hill, and occasionally, it would drop all the way down into third.
The TC should unlock before a drop into third, and it can lock in third manual.

Thanks,just got home and read the complete service order: Cleaned pan,cleaned fluid pump and valve body of contamination. cleared code and verified proper Tcc engagement and operation. seems to be decent so far. i should be used to the gear searching. my prvious two vehicles were Ford Excursions one with the 7.3 and the later with the 6.0 Psd.
Fords Tourque Shift trans. was no bargain either, constantly wandering out of overdrive. still loving the H3 no matter what
mark.o
shepherd luver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Jeff_H3 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:08 pm

HummBebe wrote:A transmission 'hunting for gears' is a trait of GM transmissions in general.

X2

IIRC D is the same as 3rd, but with an overdrive gear.
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby Seth » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Pewterbird wrote:
HummBebe wrote:A transmission 'hunting for gears' is a trait of GM transmissions in general.

X2

IIRC D is the same as 3rd, but with an overdrive gear.

D is 4th gear.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby elripster » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:35 am

In my experience auto transmissions in general hunt for gears. You think your H3 is bad, try a 2nd gen Toyota 4runner with a 1:1 3rd and a .71:1 OD with a wimpy 3.0L SOC V6. The H3 is actually pretty darn good.

I pull it down to third when it starts locking/unlocking the TC a lot (in both trucks). When the TC is unlocked you start to sheer the fluid. That essentially turns fuel in to hot transmission fluid instead of forward vehicle motion wasting gas and heating/wearing on the transmission.

Frank
elripster
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2009 H3 Adventure

Postby Seth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:01 pm

elripster wrote:In my experience auto transmissions in general hunt for gears. You think your H3 is bad, try a 2nd gen Toyota 4runner with a 1:1 3rd and a .71:1 OD with a wimpy 3.0L SOC V6. The H3 is actually pretty darn good.

You are absolutely correct. Early Toyota's really had wimpy engines.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby shepherd luver » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:15 am

I now have 650 miles with the new Torque conveter. Seems fine. it must have been slipping from the get go. Doesnt seem to do the gear searching as bad as it used to. :)
mark.o
shepherd luver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby twinmill28 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:29 am

shepherd luver wrote:Well, i now have 940 miles on my H3 Adv. with the 5cyl. At 620 miles, on my way to work the engine check lite came on. i made it to work and dialed onstar. they did a diag. check and found a code for Transmission lockup. The local Hummer dealer picked up the veh. and brought it to the shop. they called later and told me the Torque converter was defective. they had one overnited and installed and checked the transmission and told me all is now fine. the code that they came up with was PO741 Requested PO700 AND Mil illumination inspected as per bulletin#PIP4535C. Has internal torque conveter clutch material loss of bonding. while it seems to be fine now, i notice on very windy days while driving into a strong headwind the transmission seems like its searching for final drive. is this normal due to the not so great amount of power? doesnt seem lkie there is slippage, holds steady at about 2000-21000 rpms at 65mph. was there a bad batch of torque converters or is this a single issue with mine? thanks

I know the feeling of having a new vehicle and ending up with tranny problems. We bought an 05 300C brand new and had just put 6000 miles on it when I drove it home from work. My wife jumped in it to go to church and the car stopped motivating in the middle of the main road going into town. That's a pretty sinking feeling. She looked in the owners maunual, and Chrysler actually had the forsight to put a "limp home" mode in the cars program (hmm, did they anticipate this kind of thing since they accomodated for it?); shut it off, turn it on and "limp it" home, which we found out is good for about a 200 foot limp at a time. When I caught up to her, I was able to limp it out of the middle of the road, had to restart it something like 20 or 30 times to keep it "limping". Not a great feeling when you're driving one of Chrysler's new flagships merged with Mercedes technology, somehow we expected more. Anyway, the dealer was fantastic about it, a new torque convertor just didn't fix it, so in went a brand new tranny. At this point you don't really want to trust the car anymore. But we actually had no further problems. And we strapped a trailer hitch on it and towed a 3K pound trailer from Florida to Utah averaging about 80mph without a single hitch (other than the one pulling the trailer). The moral of this story--don't lose faith in your new ride, HUMMER's are an extremely well built truck and you should have no more problems with it. Enjoy!
twinmill28
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2007 H2 Hi-Adventure

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:10 pm

twinmill28 wrote:The moral of this story--don't lose faith in your new ride, HUMMER's are an extremely well built truck and you should have no more problems with it. Enjoy!

Good words to live by. I had an '06 before getting the '09 and for a first year vehicle I was amazed and impressed with the fact I had absolutely no major issues and only a couple of real minor ones. It is very easy to get discouraged when you have a new vehicle and have issues but it doesn't matter what you buy, it can happen.

You in FL twinmill28?
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Next

Return to H3 Tech