Starter problems.....

H3 Specific Information

Starter problems.....

Postby Bellvis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:22 pm

I received this email from a friend who had some questions about starting his H3. I have not had any starter problems so if anyone out there could give some advise, please do!

Hi Jon:

I have been having some problems with starting my 2007 H3 and wondered if any of your members had similar symptoms? I have 30,000 miles on my vehicle - occasionally about 8 to 10 times over the 30,000 miles my car won't start, then I wait 15 to 30 minutes and retry and it starts. Once it is on and running, it operates beautifully. This last weekend, I was out about 27 miles southeast of Essex off of Hwy 40 near painted rock. I left camp and drove about 6 miles to the power lines, stop to take some photos and turn off the vehicle. when I went to restart it won't and I played with for about 45 minutes. I was all by myself, so I was beginning to get a little panicky, when I pick up drove by and took me back to camp where two friends of mine were staying for one more day. By the time we got to my H3 it was probably 2 hours or more since it wouldn't start.

When got to my H3 it started right up. when I pulled into Barstow to get gas on the way home, again it wouldn't start. I had to wait one hour and then it started. The car does turn over, but doesn't start. One service mgr at Hummer thought that the anti theft device didn't recognize the key; which turns off the gas to the engine. then after awhile it resets itself and then recognizes your key.

I was wondering if you have ever heard any of your members have this type of problem?
The dealership is going to replace the ignition switch to see it hat works.
I would be intgerested in your comments.

Thank you and happy trails.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Re: Starter problems.....

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:34 pm

I don't know anything about the H3 ignition but I hand an Explorer that did the exact same thing. Had it towed in four times and the could never duplicate the problem. Had it happen the day after they had had it for a week trying. Happened to be parked next to mechanic that knew what it was. Ended up being a bad coil pack.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby f5fstop » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:44 pm

When he says it won't start does he hear the starter solenoid click? That makes a big difference. If there is no clicking from the solenoid, I personally, would go after that damn ignition switch module. GM has had tons of problems with ignition switche modules in all their vehicles. Could also be a bad ground, and just moving wires around might allow it to make better contact. Also have them double check those stupid battery terminal connections. They have to be very tight and the ones on the H3, we all know are not the best ever designed.

If the solenoid clicks but the starter does not turn over the engine, I would look at the battery cables, the major grounds off the battery negative cable. I would then hit the starter, not to hard with a hammer or large screwdriver, butt of the gun, etc., and see if it then starts. (That would indicate an internal problem inside the starter.)

Other than that, intemittent problems, if no codes are set, are sometime impossible to correctly diagnose. Hopefully, new parts will cure it for no other reason than pure luck.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Postby Bellvis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 pm

Thank you F5, your awesome! I will let him know.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby Seth » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:53 am

Bellvis wrote:The car does turn over, but doesn't start.

Sorry f5, it looks like the guy is getting the starter to turn the engine, but the engine is either not getting spark or not getting gas. These problems usually occur like Mark said because of a bad coil or an electrical issue. I like the service guys theory about the security system being the problem somehow.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby jens » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:37 am

Hello Belvis,
is the theft deterrent-light flashing when the car not starts? It's a red light with the symbol of the car with a lock in front of it.
I had it a few days ago...slipped of the key before the engine allready was on.
The light was flashing and i had to wait 10 minutes for a retry.
Had this never before...and even not yet since then.
The info, if this light is flashing would help a lot.

Greets,

Jens
jens
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby f5fstop » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:07 am

Pull a spark plug wire, connect insert screwdriver about an inch away from ground and see if it sparks. If it does, not electrical (unless computer problems with activating a relay for fuel flow). If not, again, the ignition switch module would be my first look.

Also, another thing that might be a problem is intermittent fuel flow. When you first turn the key to On, you will hear the fuel pump activate for about one-to-two seconds, then shut off. This is used to pressurize the fuel system. (You can put your ear near the fuel filler to hear better.) After the vehicle starts to crank and the BCM see 300-400 engine rpms the fuel pump will start up and continue to operate.

But easy for a dealer to check for this type of problems with a Tech 2 and a pressure gauge. It should be easy to fix.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby HawaiianH3 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

I have to attest that if your SECURITY LIGHT IS BLINKING its the key ignition. I have been having this problem!!! Posted a thread that I thought it was due to being on an incline. But didnt notice the blinking light till this past time (4 since owning vehicle for 2 mos) that it is most likely the problem. Worst part im hearing is that the dealership will have to replace this thing, due to the programing of the thieft system!!! SUCKS!!!! :x

Hint: I jiggled the key around a bit and got the light to turn off so it only took me 4.5 min to start not the full 10!!!! ugggggg :wall:
2006 Red H3 Base w/Chrome & sunroof. 54k miles! Upgrades: Front tint, mud flaps, roof racks, custom rear tire cover, Poly cross-member bushing replacement (still strategizing). Soon to come: Clear corner lights, brush guard, front level w/Bliestien shocks and bump stops. PCMpluss computer upgrade
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby f5fstop » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:49 pm

First, the original poster never mentioned a light. Jens asked about that, but no reply.

Second, what ever happened with this? What was the final decision?

Third, you do not need a dealer to program the theft lock procedure. There is a manual, no special tool procedure:

30-Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlockā„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby HawaiianH3 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Perfect F5FSTOP! That is the info I was looking for regarding this matter. As for the orginal poster sounds like they got the problem fixed. Good to know that I can change this ignition my self.
sorry for hacking the post, but this issue is related to that horrible feeling of "A VEHICLE THAT WONT START!"

p.s. does your key have play while in the ignition? Just trying to gauge how worn the switch is.
2006 Red H3 Base w/Chrome & sunroof. 54k miles! Upgrades: Front tint, mud flaps, roof racks, custom rear tire cover, Poly cross-member bushing replacement (still strategizing). Soon to come: Clear corner lights, brush guard, front level w/Bliestien shocks and bump stops. PCMpluss computer upgrade
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Return to H3 Tech