removing front grill

H3 Specific Information

removing front grill

Postby kb3ejw » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:01 pm

ok,i've got my new power plant winch.i'm jus waiting on my brushguard/winch mount fro teakatoy.
when i start the install,i want to take off the chrome looking grill and paint it flat black.
how hard is it to take the grill off?
also,what grit paper should i use when i ruff it up for painting?
tks for the advise
why do i get the hand me downs?
kb3ejw
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: hummer h3

Re: removing front grill

Postby alrock » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Piece of cake to take it off. 2 or 4 bolts up top (can't remember exactly and I'm too lazy to walk outside), 2 in front in the slots. The grill will still be attached a bit by tabs on either side. Gently pull from either side to get one side loose, then do the other side. Haven't blacked mine out, can't help you on that.
alrock
Chapter President - Arizona
Chapter President - Arizona

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby Bellvis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Here ya go... Lots of info here.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2512&p=49055&hilit=removing+front+removing+front+grill#p49055

There are two bolts on the end of the grill, once you pop the hood you will see them. There are also 2 bolts on the inside of the grill behind the # 2 and # 6 slot. Once those are off, slowly and carefully pull the grill off. Be carefull not to break the plastic tabs.

I would just use some fine sandpaper and do a couple of light coats of black if you want to spray paint them. You can always drop it off at a Line-X or spray on bed-liner place also.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby MuddyH3 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:16 pm

kb3ejw wrote:also,what grit paper should i use when i ruff it up for painting?
tks for the advise

don't use sandpaper. go get yourself some scotch-brite (7748 Scotch-Briteā„¢ Color Prep Scuff Roll) and scuff them up with that. :yup: :yup: you can get them at almost any kind of hardware store or a body shop supply store like MESA. Also make sure that when you are painting to take long even strokes with the cans. it's always better to have many thin coats than 2 or 3 heavy ones because you'll run the risk of "running" the paint... and then you'll be tee'd off! :wall: :wall: :wall: (i worked in a body shop for a few years). 8) 8) Never stop painting on your material, always go past the material then stop. :no: :no:
2006 H3 Adv., Cognito/Bilstein Shocks, JKS Discos, JKS BPEs, WP Shackles, 35" km2s.
1972 Chevy Monte Carlo: 406ci, 700r4, 12 bolt w/ eaton posi & 3.73:1 gears.
MuddyH3
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H3 Hummer

Postby kb3ejw » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:01 am

thanks for the info guys.will definately have the boss take pics of the upgrade and paint job.
just hope we can get them uploaded to the site.
why do i get the hand me downs?
kb3ejw
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: hummer h3

Return to H3 Tech