Steering Issue

H3 Specific Information

Steering Issue

Postby FuscoR1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Ok this is my first Hummer (H3) my older bro has got me hooked on this vehicle, so I went off-roading not to long ago. Just some deep mud pits and some tight and untrimmed trails. :) Black shows all of the scratches… :( I had it detailed and waxed to hide some of the scratches but a couple of days after my little woodsy adventure I started to feel & hear a rumbling sound coming from the driver side right underneath my feet when I make a right hand turn. I did not think anything of it nor did I feel it was a problem, however this weekend I am going for my 2nd ride off-road and I do not want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with something broken.
When I was taking my side-steps off I had taken a closer look around the area where I am hearing the noise but did not find anything broken nor did I find anything that would appear to be making the noise every time I make a right hand turn.
Can anyone shed some light on this…..?
:where: :duh: :duh: :where:
FuscoR1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2008 H3

Re: Steering Issue

Postby Hunner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:00 pm

Are you running the tires that came on it? At? If so I would not think they are rubbing the sway bar but check for a shiny place anyway.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Fus319 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Hunner wrote:Are you running the tires that came on it? At? If so I would not think they are rubbing the sway bar but check for a shiny place anyway.

No, he's running the stock tires.
morte a tutti
Fus319
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2007 H3 TacEdition

Postby Robo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Did you get all the muck out of your front end. almost sounds like you got a rock stuck up in there and its rubbing. check your torque on your front end too.
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby Seth » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Is it a clicking in the peddles? If so, it may be the steering rack. There has been a bulletin for certain H3s that require the dealer to replace a certain part. If yours is an '07, I would check with the dealer.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Sewie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:32 am

I believe the bulletin was for the intermediate steering shaft. Do a search, here or Google. There are plenty of threads about it on all the forums.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Ipe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 am

Can you be more specific on the sound and the "feeling"? Also could you please narrow down where this is happening? In other words are you feeling and hearing it when turning at full lock at parking lot speed? In particular are you hearing it when reversing at full lock?

Or are you feeling and hearing it when driving along at speed (20 to 90mph) and making a gentle turn to the left/right?

If its the full lock turn, particularly in reverse I'd be willing to bet I know the answer. :yup:

If its while driving at speed do you feel like you are pushing pieces/parts about in the steering gear while at the same time turning the truck? Even if it feels like you might be pushing things to and fro just a wee bit? Do you hear any whine from the power steering pump?

When I had my H3 I had LOTS of steering issues so I may have experienced what you have right now. Let us know. :yup:
Hummer X Club Northeast Chapter
northeast@hummerxclub.com

Rob Sutter aka: Ipe - Say Ip-ee ........2008 Member Tread Lightly
Ipe
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby FuscoR1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Hunner wrote:Are you running the tires that came on it? At? If so I would not think they are rubbing the sway bar but check for a shiny place anyway.

I still have my stock tires on, when I was taking my side steps off I took a quick glance around the area and did not see anything that appeared to be cracked or broken off.
FuscoR1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby FuscoR1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Robo wrote:Did you get all the muck out of your front end. almost sounds like you got a rock stuck up in there and its rubbing. check your torque on your front end too.

After I was done I did take it to a car wash and completely soaked the undercarriage of the vehicle, perhaps I could have missed a place, I will check on it when I get home tonight.
FuscoR1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby FuscoR1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Seth wrote:Is it a clicking in the peddles? If so, it may be the steering rack. There has been a bulletin for certain H3s that require the dealer to replace a certain part. If yours is an '07, I would check with the dealer.

I have not felt anything with the peddles, it appears to be coming from the area right underneath the e-break area, underneath the floorboard. It is sort of a rumbling sound with small vibrations as well, it could possibly be some debris but I am not sure yet. I have not had a chance to take a good look underneath of the vehicle.
FuscoR1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Ipe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:11 pm

FuscoR1 wrote:I have not felt anything with the peddles, it appears to be coming from the area right underneath the e-break area, underneath the floorboard. It is sort of a rumbling sound with small vibrations as well, it could possibly be some debris but I am not sure yet. I have not had a chance to take a good look underneath of the vehicle.

Thats doesn't sound like a steering issue then. :duh:
Do the noises change when the truck is turned?
Hummer X Club Northeast Chapter
northeast@hummerxclub.com

Rob Sutter aka: Ipe - Say Ip-ee ........2008 Member Tread Lightly
Ipe
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby FuscoR1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:12 pm

Ipe wrote:Can you be more specific on the sound and the "feeling"? Also could you please narrow down where this is happening? In other words are you feeling and hearing it when turning at full lock at parking lot speed? In particular are you hearing it when reversing at full lock?

Or are you feeling and hearing it when driving along at speed (20 to 90mph) and making a gentle turn to the left/right?

If its the full lock turn, particularly in reverse I'd be willing to bet I know the answer. :yup:

If its while driving at speed do you feel like you are pushing pieces/parts about in the steering gear while at the same time turning the truck? Even if it feels like you might be pushing things to and fro just a wee bit? Do you hear any whine from the power steering pump?

When I had my H3 I had LOTS of steering issues so I may have experienced what you have right now. Let us know. :yup:

I only feel and hear this noise from an average speed of 10-30mph, it almost sounds like possibly a rock rolling around in a little area. I can feel it during every right hand turn ONLY never during a left hand turn. Also note that it usually only happens when I am not in a full lock turn but sometimes it will make that noise in a full lock turn depending on my speeds.

It appears to be in the area right underneath the floorboard from the e-break, and where your left foot usually rests while driving. It does not appear to be coming from the steering column nor the peddles.

While I am driving it does NOT feel like I am pushing pieces/parts about in the steering gear while at the same time turning the truck. It more or less feels like something could be loose or just rolling around underneath the floorboard.

Or perhaps this could possibly be vibrations coming form the steering column, :duh: I am still not sure yet. After work tonight I will check out the undercarriage and see if I can spot anything that is cracked or broken or anther words find any debris from my last trip in the woods.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
FuscoR1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby FuscoR1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Ipe wrote:
FuscoR1 wrote:I have not felt anything with the peddles, it appears to be coming from the area right underneath the e-break area, underneath the floorboard. It is sort of a rumbling sound with small vibrations as well, it could possibly be some debris but I am not sure yet. I have not had a chance to take a good look underneath of the vehicle.

Thats doesn't sound like a steering issue then. :duh:
Do the noises change when the truck is turned?

It just makes a quick rolling sound/rumble to the left side of the vehicle then it stops even if I am still in the turn.

Before coming to work, I made a right hand turn into the parking lot and continued the turn. It made the sound once I began the turn but then stopped while I was still into the turn. It just appears to be in that little area underneath the floorboard, something to the affect that a type of object or whatever just rolling around underneath my feet…
:duh: It is a little hard to explain.... :duh:
FuscoR1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby jens » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 am

Hello,
i've got exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution for this issue. My truck is out of warranty and i have to fix it by myself so it would be nice if anybody has a solution.

regards,

jens
jens
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Return to H3 Tech