Weigh up! Packup!

H3 Specific Information

Weigh up! Packup!

Postby Hunner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:48 pm

It would be interesting to see what different H3's weigh outfitted for the type of wheeling you do. I weighed mine back on Jan, 23,07 and got 5620.
I just packed up to see what I would take for desert exploration on the Mojave Road and other places and went back to weigh Jan,17, 07 and got 6080. That is a heavy H3! Ok it's time for backpacking mentality. Got to slim down but still be prepared.
Ya think the roof rack, extra spare, extra winch, extra battery and steering gear and tools might have tipped the scale?? Loaded up like that the H3 is about 480 more than normal, and that counts me after lunch.
Last edited by Hunner on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Re: Weigh up!

Postby f5fstop » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:14 pm

That may max out the GVWR rating...
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby Hunner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Ha ha of course you know this but for the post
curb 4700 which I think is a bit low
gross 5850
payload 1150

My normal load of things I added
Warn 9500 ti
Brush guard and winch mount
Two straps
4 shackles
fire ext
tool bag
small jump start pack
that was about all I had when I weighed and got 5620

since then I added
rock rails
OEM UCP
heavy tie rods, ha ha
removable rear winch
shovel
hilift
Rola rack
extra spare
then today I put in an extra battery
and the spare steering gear

it adds up quick
I lightened it up for the Missouri run
I still have camera gear, ice chest and clothes and passenger to add though
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby ronb » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:36 am

this is an interesting topic -- we should put this in general discussion as I'm curious what we all weigh.
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby PhilD » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:02 pm

ronb wrote:I'm curious what we all weigh.
About 190, but I could do with losing a little weight.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:04 pm

BTW My H2 was a touch over 8300 lb. Hardly surprising I went through steering components so fast.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby ronb » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:22 pm

PhilD wrote:
ronb wrote:I'm curious what we all weigh.
About 190, but I could do with losing a little weight.

is that with or without hair?
my hummer's about 8k loaded for the trail with full tanks.
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Seth » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:43 pm

How do you find out how much your vehicle weighs? Does it cost?
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby ronb » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:33 pm

you can hit some local scales. My 8k is a guestimation after weighing most everything that un-bolts. Also, curb wt doesn't include fluids, does it?

rb
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby f5fstop » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:18 am

Hunner wrote:Ha ha of course you know this but for the post
curb 4700 which I think is a bit low
gross 5850
payload 1150

My normal load of things I added
Warn 9500 ti
Brush guard and winch mount
Two straps
4 shackles
fire ext
tool bag
small jump start pack
that was about all I had when I weighed and got 5620

since then I added
rock rails
OEM UCP
heavy tie rods, ha ha
removable rear winch
shovel
hilift
Rola rack
extra spare
then today I put in an extra battery
and the spare steering gear

it adds up quick
I lightened it up for the Missouri run
I still have camera gear, ice chest and clothes and passenger to add though

They should have different stickers on the vehicle with different curb weights, and possibly even different GVWRs (not sure). I guess when I hear about exceeding GVWR, I think of Explorer and Bridgestone. Most of those vehicles were over GVWR, but most of those owners had low air pressure in their tires, and were running on hot days, causing greater friction inside the tire to over heat and blow them. I can't imagine people who visit a forum like this allow their tires to run low on tire pressure (and the TPM system helps too). (Unless they are running off-road and intentionally let out air.) :D
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby PhilD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:26 pm

ronb wrote:is that with or without hair?
That was with air and peroxide ;)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Seth wrote:How do you find out how much your vehicle weighs? Does it cost?
Public scales, or you can usually get weighed at the city dump, weighed in and weighed out.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby stjames151 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:11 am

It weighs:
all H3 owners wrote:A lot, but not too much
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Re: Weigh up! Pack up!

Postby Hunner » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Well to bump this back I will add some info. Im getting ready for my Excellant Adventure out West for real now. I put the second spare at the front of the roof rack. I got a waterproof bag to fill the remainder of the rack. https://roofbag.com/CrossCountryBlack.asp This one fits the Rola rack. Im going to put lite stuff up there. Sleeping mats and bags, tent and other stuff I do not need to get to as often. Im trying to balance the load.
I have several water resistant bags that I keep my gear in. I have used these for several years on boats. The have a semi hard bottom which holds the shape and keeps them from wicking water up even salt water when standing in water. (Sports Authority) I decided I don't need the rear seat so their weight was replaced by my bags. That keeps the weight centered. I have a winch on the back now and for the type of wheelin I plan to do it can stay there. If I get into some rough stuff I have room in the back to put it inside. Probably overkill to have it for this trip, UNLESS we get stuck in deep sand or the other one fails. (been there done that) This is not the only place I am going. Why DO they call it Death Valley? These seats could really be designed different. It seems more and more people want them to lay flat so you can use that space. What did they have in mind? I wish the head rests would come off the rear seats also. I drive with my legs out almost straight and my arms almost that way. It makes it tough to lay that rear seat forward.
I gotta find a battery for my scales and I will weigh some of this. I thought about a different platform but my goal is to keep the weight down.
Im working on a way for my camera gear to be easily accessed now from the driver side rear door. I usually have it all on the floor wedged between the drivers seat and rear seat. I use a waterproof/dust proof soft bag
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... llow_.html
but place it in a hard case when things get rough or deep! I have several Pelican cases but awhile back I found these and they have an extra clasp at each end. They are priced a little better also. http://www.exploreproducts.com/doskocil ... racase.htm
I carry a laptop or two on my adventures and use soft bags but have hard cases for dusty, rough and wet condition
http://www.fuertecases.com/Merchant2/me ... ory_Code=L
I use a soft Pak for my tools so I don't scratch up boats when Im working but it is very usefull for all the time.
http://www.toolpak.com/
I will post again when I get the layout of that. I don't want to come back and break all these links if it still does that.
Just Hunner ramblings to see if I can stir up some ideas from the crowd :lol: Remember take care of the ounces to take care of the pounds for backpacking, this is take care of the pounds to reduce the tons!!
Attachments
_DAH8421_resize.JPG
_DAH8421_resize.JPG (107.58 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Last edited by Hunner on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Bellvis » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Looks good Hunner. I just removed my rear seats also and am very pleased with how open it is now. Who needs a roof rack now? :lol:
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Next

Return to H3 Tech