H3 Error Message

H3 Specific Information

H3 Error Message

Postby The Other Rob » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:49 pm

Lovely.. On vacation over 1000 miles from home and the H3 starts giving me fits... Other than the little red engine light I haven't noticed anything wrong..

Here's what the fine folks at OnStar have told me..

Engine & Transmission
Power Train
Detected a problem with the Throttle Control System

The light came on about 3/4 of the way back down Saint John's trail outside Montezuma.. The traction control message had been coming and going all afternoon when I'd be locked down in 2nd, 4Lo letting it idle down hill and using the engine as a brake.. Noticed the engine light just after going through the old St John's town site..

Is this something that needs to be looked at RIGHT now rather than running a few more trails tomorrow or will it hold off until Thursday (or even better, until I get it back to Memphis).. OnStar says the closest tow would be MedVed Hummer in Wheatridge, CO.. I've heard of them before, but for some reason I'm thinking it wasn't good.. Of course right now, I don't really think it needs a tow...
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Re: H3 Error Message

Postby Hunner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Well that ain't right! Just a thought, have you tried unhooking the battery for a few minutes and see if that resets it? Engine light? Of course you checked the oil and tranny fluid. I will see what I can find out.
I do know that when you are locked in 4wd the ecm changes throttle response so it is all tied in there.
Give me more input. When you are in normal highway mode are you getting any error.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby The Other Rob » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Hunner wrote:Well that ain't right! Just a thought, have you tried unhooking the battery for a few minutes and see if that resets it? Engine light? Of course you checked the oil and tranny fluid. I will see what I can find out.
I do know that when you are locked in 4wd the ecm changes throttle response so it is all tied in there.
Give me more input. When you are in normal highway mode are you getting any error.

Always on 4hi, 4lo, 4lo lock.. Will see about unhooking the battery and see what happens.. Of course the only tools I have with me are a pocket knife, a Gerber Multi-tool and an OnStar button..
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby Hunner » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:58 am

What? No duct tape or bailing wire? Im headed to Benton I will see if Landers has anybody working today that knows anything. I got a feeling my favorite techy that I consult with is off. BUT are you having fun yet? My dad had an old Mercury that the engine warning light came on. He would spend $$$ and it would be like an o2 sensor. Then a month or so it would do it again. He would spend $$$, finally he fixed it, he put black electricians tape over the light. Drove it 3 years like that, ha ha laugh you are on vacation.
That Onstar thingy is really kinda neat if you don't have a code reader. Too bad they can't reset it. Heck maybe they can, they can unlock it!
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mike S » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:35 pm

I think Hollie had the same problem in Ouray when she first got there. Most likely it is altitude shock to the computer. My H2 did the same thing when i first arrived in denver but has not since given me trouble. Hollie's problem fixed itself and i never heard here mention it again. Just give the computer a little time to adjust and you should be fine.
03 H2 Modifications:
6 inches of Fabtech Goodness, 20" KMC Monsters padded with 37" Nitto Mudgrapplers, Pioneer Avic Z2(So I don't get lost), Mud in every nook and cranny

Exploring North America One Trail At A Time
Mike S
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H2

Postby The Other Rob » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Was still on this AM... We took off headed east towards Georgetown with thoughts of running some easier trails.. The run from Dillon to Georgetown is about 20 miles or so.. All of it uphill at something like a 6 - 7% grade.. Couldn't break 45mph, foot on the floor, pulling in 2nd gear.. Thought I was hosed and headed on to MedVed in Denver at that point.. Stopped in Georgetown to fuel up and when the truck restarted, no light..!!! Guess it just needed me stickin' my foot up it's ass.. Ran as well as ever the rest of the day.. Had the Traction Control on the DIC come on once coming down from Argentine Pass.. Cleared it with the button and never saw it again..

So... With any luck it was just a fluke with the computer, the altitude and using the engine for a brake for 6 or 7 miles yesterday.. If all is good until we get back, I'll go on and take it into the dealer when we get home.. It'll be due for another oil change by then anyway...
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby Hunner » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Now you got me thinking I should have this stock ECM sitting here programmed for about a mile high. Denver? Us flatlanders south of I-40 got it made I guess. The Ozarks might tap it a little too. I run mostly in the Ouachitas here lately but they don't have much altitude. Glad that light went away. Have you tried running premium gas? I did in Sedona and it helped. Alvin told me mine would still take some advantage of the higher octane when towing. It seems to have some learning ability. It would be sort of but not exactly like not advancing your timing and running higher octane back when we still had timing lights. You don't squeeze all the umpfh out of it. It did help to get my CASE learn done after installing. Helps with anti-knock.
Ok have more fun..........
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby HIHUMMER » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:37 am

Mike S wrote:I think Hollie had the same problem in Ouray when she first got there. Most likely it is altitude shock to the computer. My H2 did the same thing when i first arrived in denver but has not since given me trouble. Hollie's problem fixed itself and i never heard here mention it again. Just give the computer a little time to adjust and you should be fine.

Exactly what happend. My message came on right before the end of our run in Ouray. Next morning, we were getting prepared to take it to South Jordan Hummer. And out of the blue, it went off and never came back on. So to Moab we went.
Hollie Nichol
Hummer X Club Carolinas Chapter
working on diff. replacement number 6
msph3@yahoo.com
http://www.myspace.com/h3queenbee
HIHUMMER
Chapter President - Carolinas
Chapter President - Carolinas

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby The Other Rob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:40 am

Hollie.. I actually figured if anyone had seen this error, you would have... :lol:

Thanks for the help/concern/advice folks.. Seems Ok for now.. Here's to hoping it was just a fluke..
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby The Other Rob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 pm

Well it wasn't a fluke.. It's ongoing.. I've got this sinking feeling it's the head issue..

Had just came down off Mt Bross and hit Hwy 9 back towards Breckenridge.. First hill I hit. it dropped shifted to second and then dropped all power and went into the Reduced Power Mode along with all the other messages as before.. Hit the OnStar button and got the tow set up..

The fine fine folks at Hummer Warranty couldn't locate a rental car anywhere since it was after 6pm.. Since MedVed would be closed long before the truck could get there, it would have to be stored overnight.. They offered to put us up in a hotel in Fairplay (where the tow service was from), even though we told them we had a place 15 miles from where we were broke down and ALL of our stuff was there and the only suggestion they could offer was see if we could find a cab.. We're out in the middle of nowhere Colorado and they say I should find a cab..??? :lol: I'm on my second level of supervisors trying to get a real answer when the tow truck gets there.. He said he could drop us off at the condo since he charged by the hour rather than the mile.. Told he Hummer folks I had it taken care of..

Got the truck loaded and the driver says it'll be Saturday before he can get the truck to Denver because he was over his DOT miles for the week and he had to be off 24 hours before he could run that far again.. He'd made 2 trips there today already.. He said the easy thing to do would be to drop the truck with us at the condo and then call for a tow on to Denver in the AM..

Got the truck off at the condo and cranked it up and it was running Ok again, but the light is still on.. So for now we're thinking about trying to drive to Denver.. If things go south again, there's the OnStar Button on the mirror..

Anyroads.. More updates as they happen...
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 am

Good luck getting to Denver and getting all fixed up.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby The Other Rob » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Made it to denver just fine.. Not a problem one.. They plugged the truck up and found all the messages stored.. But could find NOTHING currently wrong with the truck.. Did 1300 miles in the past two days coming home and had no problems at all..

I've got an idea of what the problem was/is (yes, I still think there's an issue).. But I've gotta do some checking on some stuff before I speculate to much on what the problem is.. But basically I think the H3 may suffer from chronic Altitude Sickness..
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby Rod » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:02 pm

The Other Rob wrote:chronic Altitude Sickness..

Inherited.
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: '99 HMC4 | '05 SUT

Postby NEOCON1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:03 am

anyone had this yet .

after about 125 miles of rough off roading in a 10 hour period , i was on a gravel access road when all of a sudden the brake peddle starts modulating like abs kicking in and the truck would come to a abrubt stop . this is without me touching the brake pedal . stabili-trac seemed to engage and stop the truck .

i am getting the abs failure message along with stabili system failure and a traction failed message all along with a traction service message . has anyone else had all 4 messages on their DIC before ??

F5 and i have been trouble shooting with no luck have dis-connected battery , checked abs sensors , etc. etc.

guess i gotta go to salt lake mon .

if anyone has had this or heard of this , give me the details .
93 "HMC2 - Two-door, two passenger hardtop truck"
06 H3 with an Alpha front diff ....
Black sheep hummer squadron Moab
"now i need you to BTM like you have never FHUKIN BTM'd before"
NEOCON1
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:56 am

I forget all the details but Aaron what having a similar problem with their H3. As i recall it would be going down the road and all of the sudden would apply the brakes and come to a stop. Last I heard the dealership had not figured out what it was yet.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Next

Return to H3 Tech