Lug sizes front and rear different?

H3 Specific Information

Lug sizes front and rear different?

Postby KHummer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Lug sizes

Hello all, I have had 2 wheels fall off my 2006 H3 over the past couple years (one recently) (Front driver and rear driver). Thankfully at low speeds and with minimal damage. If you want/need more details let me know.

From what I have read this isn't that uncommon and seems to be an issue with perhaps over-tightening the lugs and stretching them out. That being said I have never had this issue with other vehicles so I am taking some precautions and just changing all the remaining lugs on the other two wheels that have yet to fall off on me haha. Just in case there is some inherent issue with Hummer lugs...We all know Hummers have their share of ridiculous issues.

Here is my long winded question. I ordered 12 rear studs and 6 front. When I went to repair the first rear studs (the one that recently fell off) the studs they gave me for the rear are shorter than the ones that were on it. So firstly are the front and back studs actually different sizes? And If so, which are the longer ones? Because it seems like NAPA has them backwards in their system. Which of course is entirely possible. But I wanted to check to be sure...maybe somehow having the wrong size lugs is causing the issue I don't know.

Thanks
KHummer
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Re: Lug sizes front and rear different?

Postby Happy Hummer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Yes, gf's 06 h3 has had wheels loosen but not fall off, several times. Same wheels.
I keep on em like a fat kid on sugar...lol! I agree it is very weird been like that since she got it.
Happy Hummer
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby KHummer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Yeh from what I have read these studs are prone to stretching if you over tighten them. This time I intend to put them all to spec (103 Ft/lbs).

Still wondering if the studs in the front and back are meant to be different sizes. I guess I can just call the dealer tomorrow.
KHummer
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:04 am

That is a scary situation. I have heard of one or two cases but not a lot. Are you running the stock wheels or aftermarket? Any spacers or anything else that could have an affect? Have never noticed a size difference but will now look. I just checked a couple of the GM parts warehouses to see if they gave different part numbers but they don't even list them. Will check with a few people to see if I can find anything out on the studs.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby KHummer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 am

I appreciate you checking into it.

Yeh stock wheels. They are in slightly rough shape. Definitely showing their age. But I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

The first time it happened I just chalked it up to something I had done wrong when changing the breaks one time...maybe I took it off the jack before snugging the lug nuts or something and they were left a bit loose...I don't know...lol but now that the second one has come off perhaps it's an issues with the quality of the studs.

It's throwing me for a loop, but mostly just want to get it fixed up so I can feel comfortable driving this thing on the highway.
KHummer
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 am

Checked with a couple of former Hummer Techs that I know but they had to heard of any issues and didn't know anything about them being different sizes.
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Lugs are the same size front and rear. If not, someone has replaced something with the incorrect part.
Lugs can loosen for numerous reasons such as incorrectly torqued, aluminum wheels not retorqued at around 500 miles after initial torque. Lugs and/or inside of nuts being rusted, dirty or someone has applied a lubricant to the threads. GM states NEVER apply any substance (including any anti-seize compound) to any lugs. Keeping them clean and torqued correctly is enough.

There is nothing unique about the brake parts on the H3; other than they are sized for a 1/2 ton truck; whereas the brake parts on a colorado/canyon are sized for a compact truck.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Good to know and thanks for the clarification on being the same size f5.

I had a hell of a time with them on one the cars I had in high school. The kept coming loose in the brake drum so would just pin when trying to loosen the lug nuts. I think I had to cut off 4 or 5 total. Of course that never happened until I put some nice wheels on it :wall:
Mark

Return to H3 Tech