radiator removal instructions ?

H3 Specific Information

radiator removal instructions ?

Postby fourfourto » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:39 pm

My radiator started leaking, it looks like the top along the metal crimp.
I'll remove skidplates tommorow and do better inspection.

Where can you get one other then dealer,gonna call pep boys but i dont think they will have it.
I dont want to order online because im lugging the camper to boston cape cod thursday night.
thanks
fourfourto
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2006 H3 Adventure

Re: radiator removal instructions ?

Postby fourfourto » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:05 am

Pep boys dont have it.
My brothers checking with the guy his shop uses ,I find out this morning .

The fan cover looks like it clips off, any tips before I start to disassemble ?
fourfourto
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby The Other Rob » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:27 am

Incoming PM
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby fourfourto » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks rob :) ,it helped
I was fighting to get the bottom clips off,figured eventually the 2 bolts for condenser had to be removed.
I took a break and checked forum and got your pm that made it clear to remove bolts and it poped out.
My brother got me a radiator for $275.00
going to pick it up.

I noticed after removing radiator what a bad design the trans cooler is.
The hose clamps suck also one broke on removal,ill replace with standard hose clamps
I think i only lost a few oz of trans fluid,I corked the lines with disposable ear plugs.
fourfourto
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby fourfourto » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 am

Job done ,

Tip
radiator comes out with side pieces attached,unclip fan cover move foward ,remove top bolt,hoses,transline and 2 bolts onA/C condensor(trans line has clips and nut stays on radiator)
fourfourto
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby The Other Rob » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:18 am

Glad that worked out for you.. Most everything is pretty simple with a little direction, a couple of tools and a moderate bit of mechanical ability..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby 6pack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:19 pm

The top seam on mine is leaking now. :( Can you post up whatever tip Rob sent?

I'm going to get the aftermarket rad that trailerpup and others were working on, if I can find the dang thread...
2007 H3 5 spd, Adv/Lux, Eaton TVS 1320 supercharger, Rebuilt engine w/forged pistons, Custom exhaust, Long tube header, Custom tune, 200 Amp alternator, E-fan, Custom CAI, Coil pack mod, Ron Davis radiator, ARB torsion bars, Outfitter Design X-member bushings steering rack mounts and tie rods, Samco shackles, Fox shocks, Trail Duty bump stops, Rocky Road sliders w/Line-X, Tomp rear shock skids, 35" BFG AT tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ladder, shovel/axe and Hi-Lift mount
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby fourfourto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 am

I pm'ed it link comming up error though ?
might be old .
file to big to post ?
fourfourto
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 6pack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks for trying. :) I'll dig through the service manual pdf and see what they say.
2007 H3 5 spd, Adv/Lux, Eaton TVS 1320 supercharger, Rebuilt engine w/forged pistons, Custom exhaust, Long tube header, Custom tune, 200 Amp alternator, E-fan, Custom CAI, Coil pack mod, Ron Davis radiator, ARB torsion bars, Outfitter Design X-member bushings steering rack mounts and tie rods, Samco shackles, Fox shocks, Trail Duty bump stops, Rocky Road sliders w/Line-X, Tomp rear shock skids, 35" BFG AT tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ladder, shovel/axe and Hi-Lift mount
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Postby 6pack » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:24 pm

The service manual is as vague as ever and I didn't really find it worth the time to print out all the various 'go here for this' and go here for that' stuff. I did come across this on another site. It was posted by a person named pedaltroy, so he gets the credit for this point-by-point:

1 - Drop the skid plates.
2 - Using hose clamp pliers or channel locks, open and lock the hose clamp on the radiator side of the bottom radiator hose.
3 - Position your drain pan (a five gallon bucket will fit under the H3) and pull the hose off of the radiator. Let drain completely.
4 - Remove and plug radiator overflow hose and (trans?) vent line from right side of radiator.
5 - Remove radiator clamp from radiator side of top hose and pull hose off of the radiator.
6 - Go under the truck and tuck the radiator hose out of the way behind the sway bar.
7 - The fan shroud is two pieces - the larger main shroud which covers the entire radiator along with the top half of the fan but tapers to nothing at the bottom, and a bottom shroud which is wide at the bottom but only a thin ring at the top.
8 - From under the truck reach up between the radiator shroud and the engine and remove the small screw (1/4”) and the plastic crescent-shaped shroud retainer from each side of the shroud.
9 - Push up on the bottom shroud to clear the lip of the full shroud and then pull back. The bottom shroud will come free. It cannot be removed as it fully rings the fan but it can be pulled back over the fan and out of the way
10 - Pull back on the two black plastic retainer rings covering the transmission to radiator couplings. This will expose the wire retainers which hold the trans lines in. Using a dental-type pick or small needle nose pliers pull the wire retainers off (the new radiator should come with new ones). You can now pull the trans lines back and free from the radiator. Plug them as they will leak.
11 - Remove the grille. There are four bolts in the top and two which you have to reach through the grille with a socket to remove. The grille is retained by clips at the ends both above and below the marker lights. Grasp the grille above and below the marker light and gently rock the grille top to bottom to work them out. Take your time or you will break them.
12 - Remove the radiator top mount at the center of the core support.
13 - Through the grille opening remove the 10mm bolt on the driver’s side which holds the A/C condenser to the radiator
14 - Tilt the radiator back slightly and remove the 10mm bolt holding the top of the condenser to the radiator on the passenger side. You have to reach between the radiator and the core support. It’s tight but doable.
15 - Reach through the grill opening and lift the condenser slightly to disengage its tabs from the two retaining slots at the bottom of the radiator. Pull it forward slightly into the core support opening. I zip tied mine in place as it can flop around when removing and installing the radiator.
16 - You can now remove the radiator. It will not pull straight up. You will need to pull it up an inch to free its from its lower anchor points and then move it slightly towards the passenger side to clear the AC line. Once clear of the AC line it will pull straight up and out.
17 - Clean and transfer all part to the new radiator including the little nuts on the sides that are used to bolt the condenser to the radiator.
18 - Reassemble in reverse order. When hooking the trans lines back up you should hear a (slight) click from the wire retainers dropping into their slots when you have pushed the lines into the radiator far enough.
19 - Refill with fluids. Do not put the skid plates back on until after you have run the vehicle and checked for leaks.

I found this pretty useful. The fan shroud is the only thing that needs some thought. When you remove the two little screws in his Step 8 (at about 5 and 7 o'clock), they each hold in this arched plastic clip about 6 inches long that holds the upper and lower shrouds together. If your truck is as muddy as mine is, it's pretty easy to see where the clean spots match back up. If yours is clean though, you might want to spend a few minutes under there with a flashlight seeing how it goes back together.

I found it interesting that the big black thing that looks like your radiator when you look through the grill is actually the AC condenser. His Step 13 starts talking about that. I had a little more trouble with this area since my intercooler heat exchanger is there also; just a little more for me to more around.

For those perenial bone heads like me, when you pull the old radiator out, transfer the big rubber bushings from the bottom mounts to the RD radiator. I first put it in without them and the thing moves around like crazy. Slip them on and it's a nice fit. It still moves a little more than I would have thought, but I guess that's normal?

I also found out I don't have a tranmission cooler.
They seem to come out and just wrap back to the transmission. Is that really odd?

So here she is, in and running.
Another mod bites the dust!
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Nice writeup.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby 6pack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks Mark. I give pedaltroy his due also. :)

As a quick follow-up, my truck is a 5 speed and I'm told the manual transmissions did not use the cooler, hence why my stock radiator did not have one. So the RD one will just stay capped... unless I can find something else that needs cooling to run through there... 8)
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Return to H3 Tech