'06 Cylinder head replacement

H3 Specific Information

Postby marin8703 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi everyone, I dust had a Cylinder Head Replacement on my 06 H3. I didnt get a chance to talk to the rep, and I was wondering if I can/should get some sort of warranty extension on the engine, does anyone know? Im especially curious since in the paperwork the replacement head is reffered to as "reman unit" which im guessing to be remanufactured, or is it something else? According to what is written the componenets from the old head were transfered to the "reman unit."

The reason I took it in initially was for a check engine light (P0300) which came on during the first over 90 Degree day in chicago this summer, just as I was accelerating from a stop. After checking it out they said Cyl #5 was missfiring and had ~90% leak down. Took them about a week total to get it looked over by gm rep, get parts, and have it done. Now the H3 seems to drive as normal, havent had any engine related issues in the week since then.

I had about half a year left on my extended warranty, so i guess if it had to happen better that it did now :D
Thanks for your input :)
marin8703
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby Seth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 pm

It typically only happens once. The head material was too soft from the original manufacturer. They replaced the head with a new hardened material. You shouldn't have the problem again. However whether you go with an extended warranty is up to you.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: '06 Cylinder head replacement

Postby HummBebe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:30 pm

hmmm I thought it was the valve guides.
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:33 am

HummBebe wrote:hmmm I thought it was the valve guides.

I was just relaying info I got from my service adviser when it happened to mine. It could be wrong.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby nicetryrobin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:19 am

#PIP3935D: Misfire At Idle Due To Leaking Intake Valves - Supplement To 07-06-01-011 - keywords 2.8L 3.5L compression controls cylinder driveability DTC engine excessive head high L52 LK5 leakage leakdown low - (Mar 18, 2008)

Subject: Misfire at Idle due to Leaking Intake Valves - Supplement to 07-06-01-011

Models: 2004-2005 Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon

2006 Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon

and Last 6 of VIN Less than 287698

2006 Hummer H3

and Last 6 of VIN Less than 287591

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years and engines, and to revise the repair recommendations. Please discard PIP3935C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
On rare occasions, a SES light and P0300 may be experienced due to a single cylinder misfire at idle that may or may not be felt. This may occur before the VIN breakpoints above due to non-uniform intake valve seat wear, which may prevent the intake valve from sealing properly. Vehicles built after these VIN breakpoints contain harder intake valve seats to address this concern. If the engine misfires occur off of idle, this PI does not apply. Bulletin 07-06-01-011 contains a labor operation and related tips for performing a cylinder leakage test to diagnose this concern but it does not indicate what repairs should be performed if a leaking intake valve is found.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this concern, refer to the latest version of 07-06-01-011 and the "Cylinder Leakage Test" procedure in SI to perform a cylinder leakage test. If a leaking intake valve is found, replace the cylinder head by following the latest version of 06-06-01-017, which contains the necessary replacement procedure and part numbers. If the vehicle is a 2006 model, install the latest PCM calibrations to complete the repair. The cylinder head received from GMSPO contains harder intake valve seats to address this concern.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information
2008 H3 Adventure
nicetryrobin
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2008 H3 Adventure

Postby f5fstop » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:20 pm

HummBebe wrote:hmmm I thought it was the valve guides.

And, you are correct.

And now it typically only happens once. Before the new heads were released, it could and did happen at least twice. :D But that was many moons ago.... :wall:
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Return to H3 Tech