Replacing H3 igniton switch, common on GM vehicles.

H3 Specific Information

Replacing H3 igniton switch, common on GM vehicles.

Postby HawaiianH3 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Aloha,
I have a post that talks about starting issues I have with my H3 that is out of warranty and 45k miles. I quickly learned and disseminated through this forum and other sites that it is a faulty ignition switch and or ignition key. Our vehicle is equiped with a security that is built into the ignition. (nice that we dont have a chip in our key 06-09) but still paid $30 for a H3 logo key. The light will continue to blink for 10 min no matter how many times you try to start the vehicle or press the unlock on the key FOB. I recently tried shaking the key in the ignition and slammed the steering colum a few times and it seem to reset although this would not be a scientific intervention :duh:
The major symptom is the blinking red light under the speedometer that looks like a car with a lock over it. (security light) When this light is blinking your anti theft system is activated which disengages the power to your ignition.
Suspected causes are explained as a)GM's have shotty ignition switches b) the key is worn out allowing it to slip out (even slightly) of the igniton c) turning the key hesitantly to start vehicle. All of these I have done and resulted in waiting 10 min and when you then turn on the key the light will turn off with all other notification lights in about 7 seconds.

SO NOW my question is how does one go about changing this ignition switch?????? :/ I have read that you should only have the dealership do it and can imagine that no matter what this new switch will need to be programed to the ECM????? :where:

I have found OEM replacement ignition switches for a great price on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genuine-Hummer-H3-Ignition-Starter-Switch-2006-2010-/220652073777?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item335fe37331

Someone has even posted a diagram of the steering column and it appears to be a fairly simple replacement job. Although I read that removing the screws may be difficult due to the heads being shaved off to prevent theft.

Is there anyone out there that has done the job or can give advice? I will be posting a full DIY repair here if the job can be done without the dealership.
Thanks
2006 Red H3 Base w/Chrome & sunroof. 54k miles! Upgrades: Front tint, mud flaps, roof racks, custom rear tire cover, Poly cross-member bushing replacement (still strategizing). Soon to come: Clear corner lights, brush guard, front level w/Bliestien shocks and bump stops. PCMpluss computer upgrade
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Re: Replacing H3 igniton switch, common on GM vehicles.

Postby HawaiianH3 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Wanted to provide an update! I found this great information from F5Fstop and wanted to share! ( I shot some graphite lubricant in the ignition key hole today hope this helps lube the "pins and tumbler"= may prevent key from slipping out!

You do not need a dealer to program the theft lock procedure. There is a manual, no special tool procedure:
30-Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlockā„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
2006 Red H3 Base w/Chrome & sunroof. 54k miles! Upgrades: Front tint, mud flaps, roof racks, custom rear tire cover, Poly cross-member bushing replacement (still strategizing). Soon to come: Clear corner lights, brush guard, front level w/Bliestien shocks and bump stops. PCMpluss computer upgrade
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby HawaiianH3 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13662 Please read this thread for more info on this issue!
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby MIKE71060 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:11 pm

I was having the same difficulty with being "locked out", the 10 minute wait and all and assumed it was the immobilization system based on internet research. I took the car to the dealer, paid $42 for analysis, and it turned out to be the ignition switch, not the immobilization system. The mechanic there also said there were several things that could cause this "lockout" symptom and the only way to diagnose the issue is with the computer system through the dealer. Apparently it's a very expensive piece of equipment and only dealers and a very select few locksmiths have this equipment.

The dealer wanted $300 to change the ignition switch, which is actually the ignition housing (not the switch that holds the key) that had a bad connector on it. I found the part on GM PARTS out of Dallas, Texas, $59.00 (Dealer wanted $94.00) plus the one bolt ($8.00, dealer $12.00) that has the head knocked off (be aware of that when replacing) so for $70.00 and about 3 hours work, including research to make sure I didn't blow myself up with the airbag, it was a done deal. The car has started each and every time since then, which was about two weeks ago.

Also, the system needs to be reset after installation, a bit of a process, which was also posted on this site by HawaiianH3.

Thank you to HawaiianH3 for their invaluable information posted here!! I owe you a Mai Tai!!
MIKE71060
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 HUMMER H3

Postby Pappibri2 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks for the information. If that is not a sticky in the tech area it should be.. Quite the hassle, but who has 300 to throw away to a dealer for a minor fix? Not me.
Live Life, Love Life, and Love Your Hummer...
Pappibri2
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2008 Hummer H3

Postby telemike » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:08 am

I saw this on the internet and it claims to bypass the whole keylock signal
. I may order one soon;.
http://newrockies.com/
telemike
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2007 H3 Hummer

Return to H3 Tech