TIMES LIKE THIS....

H3 Specific Information

TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:40 pm

I wish my man was home, his miles away for a long time. (Sorry, I am laying all this on you guys-presently I am stressing)

My H3 is having clutch problems (I just bought this Hummer in November) and being a woman, any place I take it they are going to think because I am woman I can be taken advantage of. I so wish I had knowledge of a Hummer, the only knowledge I have is I have always wanted one, since my oldest daughter was Marine, her sending pictures home from Japn of these powerful machines gave me nothing but a goal of owning one and dreaming of seeing more spectular sights in Rocky Mountain Majesty with me behind the wheel, I so love to 4-wheel, there is nothing compared to the thrill and peacefulness of seeing a breath taking view.

If you have anything that may ease my mind, where I am not taking it to the GM Dealer on Wednesday, without a clue. I would appreciate it. I already know I am going to be battling whomever that the GM warranty is still active, as I already have today.

Thank you for reading my wha wha blues. :cry:
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Wow! Not one of you Hummer Rollers who have viewed (30) my post have a word of advice as to what may be going on with my H3. The clutch is no doubt having a a big issue, I feel vibration when pushing it in and it feels loose at times. Cannot someone say something????? I am woman OK, I do indeed run on emotion :wall: as all my other counter parts and men run on facts. Can someone please give me a fact? Do you think it is serious. Will GM still honor the warranty that still remains? Please I am desperate for some feedback.

I apologize if I appear to be little Ms. Drama Queen, in which I am not. Drama is about nothing, this is about something, this is about my H3.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby alrock » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Not sure what you want someone to say.

If you have a warranty I'm sure it will be honored - if the clutch is covered under warranty. I assume you have less than 50,000 miles as it was a 4 year/50K warranty. Clutches, however, can easily be interpreted as subject to abuse, and that wouldn't be covered.
User avatar
alrock
Chapter President - Arizona
Chapter President - Arizona
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 pm

alrock wrote:Not sure what you want someone to say.

If you have a warranty I'm sure it will be honored - if the clutch is covered under warranty. I assume you have less than 50,000 miles as it was a 4 year/50K warranty. Clutches, however, can easily be interpreted as subject to abuse, and that wouldn't be covered.


Thank you alrock. I am not sure what I want anyone to say neither. Maybe tell me it will something minor is wrong, I hardly need something serious. I may own a Hummer, but I am by far not little Ms. Money Bags like all my friends think I am and other people who may think only the rich own Hummers.

I do have less than 50,000 miles and the warranty is for 80,000, which I know a service date matters and is unclear at this point. I can understand a clutch can easily be interpreted as subject of abuse. I so hope it is something minor, some adjustment needs to be made.

Well I am done crying for the day, it will be what it will be......thank you again, alrock for replying. :)
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby f5fstop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 pm

I'll admit, I looked at your first post but saw no symptoms listed. Now that you say it is vibration it could be many things, and some might be directed at your use of the clutch. Clutches can and are considered by many service people to be a wearable item. And if you have considerable mileage, it might be just a worn clutch disc, and over 36K miles, many will say it is to be replaced at your costs.

But it could also be the pilot bearing or many other problems; however, most of the 'other' problems would have appeared earlier in the life cycle of the vehicle (misaligned parts, etc.)

Sometimes, a sudden start to a vibration in a clutch could be a bad motor mount or another mis-aligned powertrain component, which would be covered since it is not what is considered a wearable component that a driver can wear.
Thank you, USVibrant.
User avatar
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:36 pm
Location: Moab, UT
Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby CBphoto » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Well said F5, pilot bearing came to mind when she said "vibrations", but could be worn clutch disc..
'10 H3T Alpha, 35" Cooper STT's, 4:1 t-case, cranked, Hunner Xtreme Skids, AirDoc, Highmount Winchmount, Warn xd9000i, Lots-O-Line-X, X-Tang bed cover, UCP, what'd I miss?
'06 Green H3 Adv., now retired (to my 16 yr old), he'll wreck it soon, I imagine...but he'll live, I pray.

Hummer X Club Michigan Chapter
michigan@hummerxclub.com
User avatar
CBphoto
Chapter President - Michigan
Chapter President - Michigan
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:07 pm
Location: SE Michigan

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 am

f5fstop wrote:I'll admit, I looked at your first post but saw no symptoms listed. Now that you say it is vibration it could be many things, and some might be directed at your use of the clutch. Clutches can and are considered by many service people to be a wearable item. And if you have considerable mileage, it might be just a worn clutch disc, and over 36K miles, many will say it is to be replaced at your costs.

But it could also be the pilot bearing or many other problems; however, most of the 'other' problems would have appeared earlier in the life cycle of the vehicle (misaligned parts, etc.)

Sometimes, a sudden start to a vibration in a clutch could be a bad motor mount or another mis-aligned powertrain component, which would be covered since it is not what is considered a wearable component that a driver can wear.


Hi f5fstop,

I apologize for not explaining myself better on my initial post.

The only thing I can do presently is shake my head and cry like a big baby.

Prior to buying this Hummer, I had questioned the clutch to the Salesman and another clown who was handling the transaction of the sale. Both of these individuals commented, Hummers are high-powered vehicles; therefore, the clutch is different and would not feel like a typical clutch. I thought it sounded legit and not to mention I had fell hard for this sexy Hummer, that I allowed the need to surpass logic and the logic is, regardless, of my H3 being a high-powered vehicle, the clutch should still feel tight and not loosely deuce.

I hope a miracle works out for me here and whatever the problem maybe will be covered under the power train warranty, which is the only part of the warranty that exist. Your comment, really got me to think more in overdrive, the problem with the clutch is not consistent. Meaning at times when I push in the clutch the vibration is not always there and it seems after I have been on the road for an hour, the clutch tightens up to a degree. Strange.

I could hardly have had the opportunity to wear and tear the clutch; I bought my sexy Hummer November 15, 2010. I have driven a fast dune buggy in the past and know not to spin a clutch out and know to use it has less as possible. For example, when stopping, I try not to down shift unless I have to, only using the break to come to a standstill.

I do not even know why I am even mentioning these factors, as I know they are not going to matter, it is all about money and not what is right. In addition, to the mere fact, when you buy a used vehicle, it is more of a risk; however, I still have no regret in buying this Hummer. My H3 is my joy, even though we have hit an obstacle in the road. My sexy Hummer is somewhat, of replacement to my husband being away, which I cannot help expressing if he were here, he would be figuring it out and doing the repairs himself. Unfortunately, my husband is in prison for possession of ammunition, one bullet in his possession put him down for ten years. He had no prior record of trouble and/or felonies.

If you and all who read this post and believe in God, please consider me in your prayers and/or send positive vibes my way, I could really use it. Not only is my H3 my joy, but it is also my livelihood, it carries me to and from work, and I am going to be SOL if some miracle does not come my way; however, I am not one to sit and wait for it to happen, I will seek it out.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:43 am

MIhummer wrote:Well said F5, pilot bearing came to mind when she said "vibrations", but could be worn clutch disc..



Hi M1hummer,

I agree well said from F5! I seeked facts and indeed got it from both of you!

Thank you, I do not feel as clueless now and feel a little more at ease when I take my H3 into TransWest on Wednesday.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby f5fstop » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Damn well make sure you remind them of the fact that the clutch felt strange when you first purchased the vehicle. Let them know, you know they sold you a vehicle with a problem with the clutch. Possibly, they will cover it, or at least cover the labor, and you pick up the parts. The labor is the expensive part of this repair.

Disc is about $80.00 - dealer cost
Pilot bearing about $10.00 - dealer cost
Release bearing about $70.00 - dealer cost

Make sure they don't do any type of boosting part costs by 40 percent.

Labor would easily be about $500.00 (depending on the labor rate for non-warranty work)

If they won't cover it under any type of warranty, try and get them to cover it for what GM would pay. Dealers make less for GM warranty repairs than customer pay. They tend to stick it to the customers by increasing the labor costs by about 1.5 percent. (Hopefully, I'll have the GM labor rate by tomorrow. Just wrote a friend at GM WINS to see what the published labor rate is.)


Last resort, check an aftermarket repair center for their price to replace a clutch disc, pilot bearing and release bearing. Might be a lot less than the dealer.
Thank you, USVibrant.
User avatar
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:36 pm
Location: Moab, UT
Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 pm

f5fstop wrote:Damn well make sure you remind them of the fact that the clutch felt strange when you first purchased the vehicle. Let them know, you know they sold you a vehicle with a problem with the clutch. Possibly, they will cover it, or at least cover the labor, and you pick up the parts. The labor is the expensive part of this repair.

Disc is about $80.00 - dealer cost
Pilot bearing about $10.00 - dealer cost
Release bearing about $70.00 - dealer cost

Make sure they don't do any type of boosting part costs by 40 percent.

Labor would easily be about $500.00 (depending on the labor rate for non-warranty work)

If they won't cover it under any type of warranty, try and get them to cover it for what GM would pay. Dealers make less for GM warranty repairs than customer pay. They tend to stick it to the customers by increasing the labor costs by about 1.5 percent. (Hopefully, I'll have the GM labor rate by tomorrow. Just wrote a friend at GM WINS to see what the published labor rate is.)


Last resort, check an aftermarket repair center for their price to replace a clutch disc, pilot bearing and release bearing. Might be a lot less than the dealer.


YOU ARE AWESOME! You have enlightened me greatly, thank you so much!!!! :D

HUMTHIS (My Hummers name) appointment is at 8am at Trans West tomorrow. I am not taking him back to the dealership where his life with me began, those clowns did not even bother changing the oil, before putting him out on the lot, and tried to tell me the check sheet for him had been checked off by a technician. :wall: I feel this dealership seen a woman coming and really handed it to me; however, what they failed to realize, while I am woman, I carry the plate of life alone as it stands, I do know how to check the oil, fill all fluids, and check the tire pressure, therefore, they were really caught with the 'check sheet' BS. The second day of having HUMTHIS I discovered not clear, but dirty oil. I then took it back and made them check the list! :up: AND the greatest thing of it all is....they did not know I would endeavor to be here with HUMMER X CLUB, in turn was able to achieve the ultimate, which is insight.

In your post you state, 'they tend to stick it to the customers by increasing the labor costs by about 1.5%,' my thought is anyone with a Hummer they tend to stick it. Anyone with a Hummer is thought to be extremely rich. You know that saying money talks and BS walks, well when people see a Hummer, this is precisely what they think $$$$$$$$$$$$, this has been my experience thus so far. It is too bad I have no desire to show my checkbook off as I like to show off HUMTHIS, because the pure flattery would end and most people would appear to be very, very hypothetically speaking, pathetic.

I am going to print your post, kind of have it at the foremost thought tomorrow, having the facts. Most definately, I will make it known the clutch was discussed prior to I signing the line and even when I returned for the 'check sheet' to be done right :where: , it was further discussed and the same line was used again. I guess when you see about $18,000 your apt to lie through you teeth. HUMTHIS!!!! I so love that name and it can be used with anything and everything.

Once again, thank you so much, I will keep you posted.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 am

f5fstop wrote:Damn well make sure you remind them of the fact that the clutch felt strange when you first purchased the vehicle. Let them know, you know they sold you a vehicle with a problem with the clutch. Possibly, they will cover it, or at least cover the labor, and you pick up the parts. The labor is the expensive part of this repair.

Disc is about $80.00 - dealer cost
Pilot bearing about $10.00 - dealer cost
Release bearing about $70.00 - dealer cost

Make sure they don't do any type of boosting part costs by 40 percent.

Labor would easily be about $500.00 (depending on the labor rate for non-warranty work)

If they won't cover it under any type of warranty, try and get them to cover it for what GM would pay. Dealers make less for GM warranty repairs than customer pay. They tend to stick it to the customers by increasing the labor costs by about 1.5 percent. (Hopefully, I'll have the GM labor rate by tomorrow. Just wrote a friend at GM WINS to see what the published labor rate is.)


Last resort, check an aftermarket repair center for their price to replace a clutch disc, pilot bearing and release bearing. Might be a lot less than the dealer.


Hi f5fstop,

I just had a dire need to express to you again, I so appreciate your sound advise and input. I will be leaving shortly to take HUMTHIS in to be checked out, I am feeling not blind now, but rather confident and less emotional. Thank you so much!
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby 4speedfunk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Disc is about $80.00 - dealer cost
Pilot bearing about $10.00 - dealer cost
Release bearing about $70.00 - dealer cost


Hey don't forget the pressure plate (the main clutch part) $200.00

Labor should also include re-facing of the flywheel. Most clutches come as a "kit" with the disc, pressure plate, and sometimes a new throwout (release) bearing. All of these parts are usually replaced together. The pilot bearing is normally separate but for $10...I'de go ahead and put a new one in. Unless the dealer is gonna fix it under warranty...I would install a quality aftermarket clutch such as a Centerforce or Zoom. These high-performance clutches usually have more clamping strength, stiffer hub springs, and beefier components. Labor should run $400-$600 for a clutch swap.

Frankly...your symptoms sound a bit suspicious for a clutch with only 50K miles. In addition to the motor mounts, have your installer check the input shaft on the gearbox for any shake or wobble...could be a bad bearing inside the gearbox causing the chatter. While looking for a competent mechanic...ask some of the local hot-rodders and drag racers. These guys destroy and replace clutches regularly, and they know the job well. Where are you located? ...maybe you could post an add in the HXC "wanted" section?
4speedfunk
Trail Rider
Trail Rider
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:51 am
Vehicle: 08 H3

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:50 pm

4speedfunk wrote:
Disc is about $80.00 - dealer cost
Pilot bearing about $10.00 - dealer cost
Release bearing about $70.00 - dealer cost


Hey don't forget the pressure plate (the main clutch part) $200.00

Labor should also include re-facing of the flywheel. Most clutches come as a "kit" with the disc, pressure plate, and sometimes a new throwout (release) bearing. All of these parts are usually replaced together. The pilot bearing is normally separate but for $10...I'de go ahead and put a new one in. Unless the dealer is gonna fix it under warranty...I would install a quality aftermarket clutch such as a Centerforce or Zoom. These high-performance clutches usually have more clamping strength, stiffer hub springs, and beefier components. Labor should run $400-$600 for a clutch swap.

Frankly...your symptoms sound a bit suspicious for a clutch with only 50K miles. In addition to the motor mounts, have your installer check the input shaft on the gearbox for any shake or wobble...could be a bad bearing inside the gearbox causing the chatter. While looking for a competent mechanic...ask some of the local hot-rodders and drag racers. These guys destroy and replace clutches regularly, and they know the job well. Where are you located? ...maybe you could post an add in the HXC "wanted" section?



Hi 4speedfunk (what a name!)

What is the HXC 'wanted' section?

While f5 forgot the pressure plate, I did not........he mentioning these parts, brought back some memories of I and my husband replacing a hydralic clutch on a car we had at one time.

I took HUMTHIS in yesterday to Trans West, a GM dealer. He was droven for a good 20 minutes and when I received the news of his (and my fate) I was told the hydralic fluid was quite low, which the fluid was added making a huge difference.

I was also told the tires are putting more of a stress on the clutch (could be the vibration I am feeling), because of not being standard tires, they are terrian cutters, thats how I define them, man, they look like they have teeth. lol

Hopefully, if all goes well I do plan on rebuilding the clutch in the next few months. I would like to seek someone individually who would help me do this, someone with knowledge of course, but one who allow me to be a part of it, as I have no fear of grease and picking up a power drill, and then charging a minimal labor fee and I will buy the clutch kit.

I appreciate your statement, 'these high-performance clutches usually have more clamping strength, stiffer hub springs, and beefier components', which sounds like, Centerforce or Zoom, could handle my bad boy tires. I surely, do not want to get rid of them, they add to his sexiness and I all ready know what they do in the snow and I can only imagine what they will do in the mud, which is my favorite thing to do when 4-wheeling, "lets find the mud." :yup:

I live in Westminster, CO. You know of anyone who might be able to help me out?

I so appreciate everyone who replied to my post, makes a difference to my world and to HUMTHIS.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby f5fstop » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Yea, forgot the flywheel, but that's why I hate manuals.... :lol: But the price is $123; not $200.

As for the clutch being high perf? Not sure it that is true. It is a standard clutch. As for coming in a package, that is one way, but they are also sold as separate parts via GM. Not sure about the aftermarket suppliers.

The I-5 H3 is not what one would classify as Hight Perf.

What type of tires are you using? I guess they could cause the vibration you are talking about, but I would hold my judgement on that. Best way to find out is switch the tires and go for a ride. Do you know anyone well enough in your area, with an H3, that has 'normal' tires, that is willing to switch for a few hours? That would prove out the dealer's theory or prove it is BS. Can't say from experience. My only experience with manuals is on Vettes, and never ran off-road tires on a C5; just nice smooth high-speed tires. :D
Thank you, USVibrant.
User avatar
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:36 pm
Location: Moab, UT
Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Re: TIMES LIKE THIS....

Postby USVibrant » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:43 pm

f5fstop wrote:Yea, forgot the flywheel, but that's why I hate manuals.... :lol: But the price is $123; not $200.

As for the clutch being high perf? Not sure it that is true. It is a standard clutch. As for coming in a package, that is one way, but they are also sold as separate parts via GM. Not sure about the aftermarket suppliers.

The I-5 H3 is not what one would classify as Hight Perf.

What type of tires are you using? I guess they could cause the vibration you are talking about, but I would hold my judgement on that. Best way to find out is switch the tires and go for a ride. Do you know anyone well enough in your area, with an H3, that has 'normal' tires, that is willing to switch for a few hours? That would prove out the dealer's theory or prove it is BS. Can't say from experience. My only experience with manuals is on Vettes, and never ran off-road tires on a C5; just nice smooth high-speed tires. :D


Hi f5fstop,

In anwer to your question, the tires on HUMTHIS are M+S LT285/75R16 (Cooper Dicover STT). Funny. Right now in my world I am not holding my judgement or breath on anything. I feel the tires should not play a role in this problem that really never left, sure the clutch feels a little tighter now, but the vibration is still ongoing. I feel it is more the transmission, it is the part that pulls and moves the weight. Correct me if I am wrong.

I do have a dear friend, I plan on seeing sometime during the next couple of days. He has worked extensively on big machines, that is semi's, and I think he might help me discern what the problems is. He did state it is a bunch of BS about the tires. After all, they are not monster truck tires put on a pacer. :wall:
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
User avatar
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: CO
Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Next

Return to H3 Tech

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests