H3 Bluetooth

H3 Specific Information

H3 Bluetooth

Postby 6pack » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:56 pm

There's a newer law in Maryland that you can't use your cell while driving. So, I wanted to hook my cell phone to the truck's phone, but Verizon says they no longer deal with On Star. So I bought this stupid thing called Jabra, and I think it's junk. Has anyone figured out how to make the truck's phone be accepted as a bluetooth device by a cell phone? And, I have a Jabra Cruiser for sale if anyone wants to make an offer. :D
2007 H3 5 spd, Adv/Lux, Eaton TVS 1320 supercharger, Rebuilt engine w/forged pistons, Custom exhaust, Long tube header, Custom tune, 200 Amp alternator, E-fan, Custom CAI, Coil pack mod, Ron Davis radiator, SAW torsion bars, Outfitter Design X-member bushings steering rack mounts and tie rods, Samco shackles, Fox shocks, Trail Duty bump stops, Rocky Road sliders w/Line-X, Tomp rear shock skids, 35" Dick Cepek tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ladder, shovel/axe and Hi-Lift mount
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: H3 Bluetooth

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:23 am

So verizon won't hook up the phone for service anymore? Not sure what year it started but newer units will connect via bluetooth to your phone. There are all kinds of aftermarket kits out there but I don't know how well they were and you might be better off trying to find a newer head unit from an H3.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby f5fstop » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:35 pm

I believe it was last year that Verizon stopped allowing the Onstar as a second phone on a family plan. The Onstar w/built in Bluetooth was released in 2009 for certain models, then carried through to all models.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Postby 6pack » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Actually, I mis-spoke a little. It was On-Star that told me they no longer have the deal with Verizon. I can still activate the truck as another phone with On-Star.

So, would I be able to get an On-Star module from an '09 up and swap it in so that my cell will recognize it as a bluetooth device?
2007 H3 5 spd, Adv/Lux, Eaton TVS 1320 supercharger, Rebuilt engine w/forged pistons, Custom exhaust, Long tube header, Custom tune, 200 Amp alternator, E-fan, Custom CAI, Coil pack mod, Ron Davis radiator, SAW torsion bars, Outfitter Design X-member bushings steering rack mounts and tie rods, Samco shackles, Fox shocks, Trail Duty bump stops, Rocky Road sliders w/Line-X, Tomp rear shock skids, 35" Dick Cepek tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ladder, shovel/axe and Hi-Lift mount
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Postby f5fstop » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Really? I was told by Verizon earlier this year they would not accept the Onstar module as a second phone on a family plan. Something they used to do. If you already had the plan with the Module as the second phone, you could keep it. You can still purchase Onstar minutes from Onstar and they are verizon minutes and Onstar still uses the Verizon network for cell phone connection when calling Onstar or using the minutes.

As for the 09 module in an older truck? Not sure. The module came out after I left GM. I don't see why not if it was programmed for your vehicle, something any dealer could do; for a price. :D

I use a Motorola H710 bluetooth and love it. No echo to the other party, and always links up to my BB with no problems.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:41 am

f5fstop wrote:Really? I was told by Verizon earlier this year they would not accept the Onstar module as a second phone on a family plan. Something they used to do.

Pretty sure you are both right, he was talking about buying minutes through OnStar. I don't think I am going to keep OnStar going after Feb again. I went ahead and continued it after the first year simply so I didn't lose the minutes I had paid for but 7 months later and I still haven't used more than a dozen or so more of those minutes. If the iPhone does go to Verizon after the first of the year and the packages were worth switching I was planning on adding the phone in the truck to the family plan, apparently that isn't an option anymore :wall:

f5fstop wrote:As for the 09 module in an older truck? Not sure. The module came out after I left GM. I don't see why not if it was programmed for your vehicle, something any dealer could do; for a price. :D

Is it the OnStar module or the head unit that actually does the bluetooth? I would suspect it's the head unit as it really doesn't have anything to do with OnStar other than using the same mic.
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 pm

You can still purchase Onstar Verizon Minutes. I just checked my account and I can get 100 minutes for 19 bucks. I still have about 200 that exprire in Feb, unless I purchase more. I guess I should start using them.

The Bluetooth antenna is connected directly to the vehicle communication interface module aka Onstar module, controls are inside the module. Trust me on that.... As for the voice coming through the speakers, that is similar to how the Onstar module operates now. All the info between the modules, including the radio head unit, is via the class 2 buss.

I guess, if I was not satisified with my Moto headset, I would do some checking back at GM to see if the modules can be swapped out. But, I'm satisified, and not even sure if I know anyone there anymore.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:05 am

f5fstop wrote:You can still purchase Onstar Verizon Minutes. I just checked my account and I can get 100 minutes for 19 bucks. I still have about 200 that exprire in Feb, unless I purchase more. I guess I should start using them.

I am pretty much in the same situation with mine expiring in Feb as well. I think I will probably let whatever is left expire at that time and drop Onstar. Not even getting my diagnostics anymore, at least not on a regular basis.

f5fstop wrote:The Bluetooth antenna is connected directly to the vehicle communication interface module aka Onstar module, controls are inside the module. Trust me on that.... As for the voice coming through the speakers, that is similar to how the Onstar module operates now. All the info between the modules, including the radio head unit, is via the class 2 buss.

Believe me, I trust you on it. If anybody here would know it's you :yup:

I always thought it was the head unit, guess you still can learn something every day :lol:
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:09 am

Call them on the diagnostics, it could be a simple update that Onstar can do while you are driving down the road.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 am

Thanks for the headsup, will give them a call.
Mark

Postby 6pack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Yes, you can still buy the On-Star minutes, but I don't want that, I want my cell to work through my On-Star unit, like it would if I had the On-Star minutes. I want my cake and I want to eat it too! :) I still have the On-Star emergency service, and I get the diagnostics like you said, more or less every month. I guess I'll call whatever dealer is left out there and see what they say.
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:59 am

Something I was thinking about the other day, if the bluetooth works through the OnStar module does it matter if you have an active account or not? I am sure it would still work but would be pissed if I had to keep my account just to use the bluetooth :x
Mark

Postby firemedic2000 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:33 pm

No you do not need an active acct with OS to use your Bluetooth phone. Just Sync your bluetooth phone with your vehicles bluetooth.
firemedic2000
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Return to H3 Tech