Backup Camera Install

H3 Specific Information

Backup Camera Install

Postby Theuofmiami » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Hey guys I am new to the forums. I just bought a used Black 2007 H3. I was wanting to get a back up camera for the H3 because of the bad vision in the rear view mirror. Could I get this installed? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUMMER-G ... 056wt_1057
I have a Standard OEM Single Cd Player.
Thanks for your help,
Peyton Shields
Theuofmiami
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: Backup Camera Install

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:45 am

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the H3. I don't believe that the same mirror was using in the H2 and H3 like the description says. The backup camera is the one option I didn't get so not sure if it's the same model but don't see why you couldn't install it. Just don't know how easy or hard it would be. Maybe somebody like Robo will check in and post if that is the correct part number for the H3. The H3 is new to you but you will get used to the visibility over time :yup:
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Robo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 pm

It's a crap-shoot Theuo. For starters, OEM part numbers are out the window when it comes to aftermarket stuff. Secondly, the H2 and H3 are not running the same electronics.

However, seing as you would not be interfacing with OnStar it just may work for you. The part described will probably only require a 2 things: 1) Power and 2) a switch at the shifter that will turn power on to the camera.

Good luck and welcome to HXC 8)
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby big2dabank » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am

I don't think I would chance it. If they will not guarantee it will work and will refund your money if it doesn't, its not worth taking a chance.

I don't think I'll ever get used to backing up my H2. I can't see crap behind the truck and am in the habit of tripple checking each mirror just to be sure I am in the clear. I plan to install an aftermarket backup camera one day. I was going to install a monitor between the sunroof and the overhead console that would come on with a backup camera. I priced it at a local shop and it was about $400 including the monitor, its just the backup camera is way down the mod list right now. I actually have two 10" monitors sitting in the garage that would work, but it may be too big.

I also found out the hard way, backing up a short trailer in the H2 is nearly impossible and being able to see behind the truck would be awesome. With a small trailer, you can't see the trailer until its to far left or right and then you have to pull forward to straighten out. It gets anoying, especially if you are just putting in a jet ski or small boat. If I had the SUV instead of the SUT, I could just open the rear door and it would be fine, but with the SUT its not that easy. :wall: What I find works is to set up so I can back the trailer up at an angle on a lsight arc, tihs way I can see the trailer through the drivers or passengers side view mirror and just back in on an a slight arc rather than straight in.
BIG2DABANK
05 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

big2dabank
Chapter Vice President - Florida
Chapter Vice President - Florida

Vehicle: 05 H2 SUT

Postby skippy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:52 pm

It is not hard to get a complete camera and monitor
When wiring tap your power into the reverse wire and it will come on automatically
I have screwed the monitor into the cap that hides the bolts on the dash and the camera is in the centre cap of the spare wheel
I keep mine on all the time as with the fridge and drawers in the back there is no vision
skippy
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: hummer h3 2007

Postby joecnc2006 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:32 am

I installed mine 79.00 from walmart and works good for two years now.

I screwed it to the rear bumper right above the receiver hitch, works great when backing up to the boat and also out of parking spaces when i can not see behind me, as stated it is wired into the reverse lights.

DSCF0169.JPG
DSCF0169.JPG (88 KiB) Viewed 3055 times

DSCF0170.JPG
DSCF0170.JPG (45.57 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
Thanks,
Joe

www.joescnc.com
joecnc2006
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: '06 Hummer H2 SUV

Postby mechmike » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:56 am

If you have a in dash dvd reciever, a $99.00 camera is all that is needed if the reciever has a plug for it.
mechmike
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2009h3t Monster

Postby f5fstop » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:29 pm

I mounted mine directly to the top of the trailer hitch, and even banging the heck out of the hitch on the trails, the camera has never been damaged.

For viewing, I have a Pioneer Avic Installed

But after about four plus some years, the camera is starting to die...so a new ones will be ordered.
Thank you, USVibrant.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2008 H3 / 2013 Silverado

Return to H3 Tech