removing pcm

H3 Specific Information

removing pcm

Postby tangodown » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 pm

ok, searched the pcm site and did a search here. Anybody have the directions to remove the pcm to send out?? need info qwik so i can send it tomorrow.
tangodown
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Adv Pkg

Re: removing pcm

Postby Gunner_45 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 pm

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
- Plato
Gunner_45
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2010 H3 Adventure

Postby 08H3 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 pm

What kind of trouble are you having specifically? The instructions on their site are pretty thorough. Let us know where you're running into problems and someone here will help, I'm sure.
08H3
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby stjames151 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:19 pm

step 1: Find pcm
step 2: Grasp firmly
step 3: Yank with your back in a wrenching/twisting motion
step 4: profit
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Postby H3-ING » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:09 am

Just sent mine in on Monday.
A PITA to remove ( stubborn to release )
Push up 3 small red tabs ( fingernail breakers used flathead screwdriver for leverage on 1 of 3 )
Pull up on gray release levers all the way.
Pull, squeeze, yank connectors off :wall: I think pushing blue part on connector front is another release point :duh: maybe??? :/
Don't give up it finally will pull out. :x
The TCM was even worse to release for some reason if you have one.
H3-ING
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha Off-Road

Postby tangodown » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 am

I got it. I looked on the pcm site and scrolled right over the instructions like a dork, then slowed down and found them right after I posted my question. Oh well, thanks for the replies any way.

Ive been in a fog all week, I may need help filling up with fuel next or trying to drive my car with no computer in it this weekend......... :lol:
tangodown
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Adv Pkg

Postby wpage » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:22 pm

What happens when you drive without your pcm?
"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3

Postby trailerpup » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:26 pm

nothing? :lol:
trailerpup
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: '10 Alpha H3

Postby johnlu69 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:41 pm

wpage wrote:What happens when you drive without your pcm?

CAN U DRIVE WITHOUT A PCM JUST WANDERING AND WHATS A GOOD SITE FOR PICTURES TO REMOVE TCM. THANKS HOOAH
johnlu69
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 08 HUMMER H3

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:17 pm

No, the truck will not run without it. Why do you want to remove it?
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby f5fstop » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:49 am

If you have an actual PCM (powertrain control module) you do not have a TCM (transmission control module). If you have a ECM (engine control module) and an automatic transmission, you will have a separate TCM. And if your H3 came with any of the combinations, you cannot start or drive the H3 if not installed.
Manual transmission vehicles did not have a TCM and the circuitry inside the PCM was different since no trans functions were needed.
Do I need to say that the programming for all were different.

I believe (note "believe" been a few years since I have played with an H3) Model years 2006-2007 had a PCM, 2008 till the death of the H3 had ECM/TCM (not sure on that end date, since I ended GM in 2008 and I have NO idea if they kept with two controllers or ended the engine/transmission engineering feud and went back to one).Image And honestly, I am so disintrested in these subjects that I have NO idea what my 2016 GMC has in regard to the engine/transmission controllers. Image

PCM removal 2006 H3

PCM removal 2008 H3:
TCM removal 2008 H3:

I NEED TO LOOK AT THE ORIGINATING DATE OF A THREAD BEFORE SPENDING TIME REPLYING.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:57 am

f5, you ever miss working on the service engineering? How is the weather up there, getting some good snow?
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:23 am

No. Do not miss working at GM at all. I do miss Moab. But could not take the thousands of tourists who flooded in every year and took over the town. And the trails were getting way too busy to actually enjoy. And the ATVs screaming through Moab was the last straw. Seemed like every month had another thousand and they were loud, and always had to go at top speed and the cops never cared.
And on top of that, it was too expensive to live in Moab. Local retailers overcharged, closest retailers were 120 miles away of via mail order.

We had a lot of snow last week, but then temps warmed up and rain came and it sent away. Same scenario this weekend, snow than rain. Mountains have plenty, I believe Stanley in the Sawtooth range got about 41 inches last week, and east of me in the highlands area (above 6K) got a log of snow and kept it.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:53 am

Yeah, didn't figure you missed GM. I can see missing Moab but also understand completely why you left. Not sure if I ever mentioned it but my dad's cousin went to high school in Moab back in the late 50s early 60s and never understood while I would go there. Things have certainly changed since then and I can see how it's probably gotten even worse since you moved there. There are a few places I used to love to go but have since become so packed with tourist that it's no longer as enjoyable. The ATV running around town would have driven me out too. We were camping last month and when we first got there it was so nice as nobody was around, quiet and peaceful. Then by mid afternoon the ATVs were running around the forest late into the night and of course they couldn't care less about anybody else out there. Never thought about how the retailers had a captive market. They want to take advantage of the tourist but it ends up hurting all the locals far more.

That time of year where you just don't know what the weather is going to bring. I am sure soon enough you will have all the snow you could want.
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 am

Moab back in the 50s-60s was nothing like today. Very little tourism, mostly uranium and copper mining. From what people who grew up there told me, it was close to the wild west at times. (The HBO series West World's outside shots were filmed almost extensively in Moab.)

A majority of those trails in Moab were developed for mining.

Still a great place to visit and if into "serious" off-roading no place comes close, at least in the USA. Ouray is great, and has some unique trails, but nothing like Moab.

One thing I like to pull on my neighbors in ID is that Mt. Peale (12,726 ft) in the Lasal mountains; just south of Moab, is higher than ANY mountain in Idaho (Mt. Borah highest mountain in ID 12667). Not by much.
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Next

Return to H3 Tech