Help! Sunroof Leak?

H3 Specific Information

Help! Sunroof Leak?

Postby wang182 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 am

How do I unclog the drain hole tubes in the sunroof? I read that some people have "clipped" the ends off the tubes somewhere under the vehilce. I just need to find were the tubes drain so I can clip the crimped ends. Can someone tell me where the sunroof drain tubes drain out? I tried using a plastic coated wire from the top of the sun roof and shoving down into the tube. The wire got really dirty but did not fix the problem. I tried shooting compressed air through the drain holes on each side of the sunroof, no luck either. I figure the drain holes must be clogged some where at the bottom of the tubes but I can't figure out where to find the tubes from the underside of my H3. Heavy rain is killing my H3. I want to figure it out before I start having electrical issues :wall: . Thanks!
wang182
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H3

Re: Help! Sunroof Leak?

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:29 am

If you are still under warranty take it to the dealer, they should take care of it. I had the drain plugs clipped on my '06 after the second time they got clogged and never had any more problems but not sure where they are. Apparently at the ends they are crimped slightly to keep anything from going up them. I will try to take a look at the service manual to see if I can find anything that indicates where they are.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby MTUH3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:54 am

I know the drain tubes rin down the a-pillar. I don't remember if it is the inside or outside... (I think inside) that drain out behind the front fender. If I remember right you have to remove the front fender to get to them
--------------------------------------------------------
Carl
Plymouth TWP. MI
2006 Hummer H3 Adv. Package - Stock
2008 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 - Stock
1976 International Scout - Under Construction
MTUH3
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 06 H3 Adv. Pkg. Stk.

Postby The Other Rob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:15 am

They run down the inside of the A pillar and exit the cab very high in the dash. I've never found exactly where they exit.. The ends are up pretty high n the body as well. I've popped the fender liner out looking for them, but haven't located the ends. Even by flushing them with water, I can see where the water is comeing out, but can't find the end of the hose itself.

There's also the chance the hoses have came off the nipples on the sunroof.. Unfortunatly the only way to find out if the hoses have came loose if to pull the headliner down some. It's not as bad as it seems since you're not taking it out. If you have a clogged line and you force air in it, you'll prolly end up blowing the hose off the drain if it's not already loose.

Open front door

Pull rubber seal from door opening

Take plastic cover off inside of A PIllar, pop out that little cover above the tweeter and remove the screw.

Remove sun visor

If passenger side, remove the grab handle

Pull headliner down where you can peak in and get your hands in there.

You'll find the black rubber hose coming fromt eh sun roof drain hole and going down the A pillar with a bunch of wires.

Pull the hose out where you can blow on in it. If it's clogged I found that spitting a bit of water in to soak a little before hitting it with the airhose worked better than just air. Run the water and air through it a couple of times to help force any dirt, trash, etc out of the hose

With the hose is off the drain hole, out just a tiny bit of silicone bathtub sealer on the outside of the drain nipple and slide the tube back on to keep it from coming off so easily in the future.

Make sure that you don't clog the drain hose with the silicone..

Put everything abck the way you found it.

Should take about an hour to do both sides.
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby yat74 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:01 pm

I am curious....when you discovered this leak, where was the water accumulating? After heavy rains I have been finding water collecting on my driverside rubber floor mat and soaking the DS carpet underneath. I am talking drenched not just damp, it appears I have water running into the cab from left of or behind the e-brake pedal coming down the A pillar exterior molding from the roof channel.
Roads? Where we are going we don't need roads.
midatlantic2@hummerxclub.com
yat74
Chapter Vice President - Mid-Atlantic

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby MTUH3 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:30 pm

yat74 wrote:I am curious....when you discovered this leak, where was the water accumulating? After heavy rains I have been finding water collecting on my driverside rubber floor mat and soaking the DS carpet underneath. I am talking drenched not just damp, it appears I have water running into the cab from left of or behind the e-brake pedal coming down the A pillar exterior molding from the roof channel.

When mine plugged up, I had water dripping out of the On Star Mic and soaking the headliner
--------------------------------------------------------
Carl
Plymouth TWP. MI
2006 Hummer H3 Adv. Package - Stock
2008 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 - Stock
1976 International Scout - Under Construction
MTUH3
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 06 H3 Adv. Pkg. Stk.

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:14 pm

yat74 wrote:I am curious....when you discovered this leak, where was the water accumulating?

I think it varies from person to person and situation to situation. When it happened to me the water accumulated in the rear passenger floor board and it was just damp, not puddled water. The only reason I noticed was because the windows were fogging up from the inside so I checked. Now my truck was parked in my driveway which has a fairly decent incline. Had my truck been facing the other way it might have accumulated in the front passenger floor board or if level maybe from and back. Never had anything dripping from the mic on mine.
Mark

Postby The Other Rob » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:37 pm

It fills up in the headliner and drains mostly down the A-pillar, behind the dash and into the floorboards..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby yat74 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:58 am

Yep, mine is definitely the sunroof drains, started dripping from the headliner last night (Whoa its raining inside my H3) and when i slid back the sunroof visor I heard the tubes gurggling. Dealer visit first thing this week; Wheeling tonight.
yat74

Postby yat74 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Repair not covered by my GMPP :wall:.
yat74

Postby Robo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:12 pm

The sunroof drain tubes exit at the floor. At the floor behind the plastic trim at the hinge area of the door, if the plastic trim is removed, the tube is visable. The tube empties into that cavity there and drains onto the ground

pics
Attachments
h3 cowl trim.jpg
front drains behind here
h3 cowl trim.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
h3 rear sunroof drain.jpg
rear drains
h3 rear sunroof drain.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:17 am

Great info Robo, will have to trim the ends of mine before I have a problem. Any more info on how to get to the back ones?
Mark

Postby Robo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:14 am

Mark wrote:Great info Robo, will have to trim the ends of mine before I have a problem. Any more info on how to get to the back ones?

But of course.............. :lol:

2007 HUMMER H3 | H3 (VIN N) Service Manual | Roof | Sunroof | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1747634
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunroof Drain Inspection and Cleaning
Drain Hose Routing
A drain trough encircles the sunroof window panel and water is drained off by the drain hoses located at each corner of the housing. A drain channel spans across the sunroof module at the rear of the window panel and directs water into the trough.

Check to ensure the front drain hoses are routed down the windshield pillars and out the center of the pillar between the door hinges. Make sure the hoses are not kinked.
Check to ensure the rear drain hoses are routed through the rear pillars and out of the rocker panel. Make sure the rear hoses are properly routed in the metal roof slot and taped in place.
Plugged Drain Hose
If a waterleak has occurred check for a plugged drain hose at each corner of drainage system.

Open the sunroof window.
To test for blockage, pour a small container of water into the module housing drain trough. Check each corner to confirm the drain hose is draining water.
Caution: Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage.

Use compressed air, 241 kPa (35 psi) or less to blow out any drain hose that is plugged.
Test the system again.
If the hose remains plugged, check to see it is properly routed and does not have a kink. Refer to Drain Hose Routing.
Remove the blockage using the following steps.
6.1. Push mechanics wire through the hose to remove the obstruction.

6.2. Use compressed air in order to blow out any remaining material.

Disconnected Drain Hose
Inspect the drainage system for disconnected drain hoses. Complete the following steps in order to obtain partial access to drain hoses and check for a disconnected hose.

Open the sunroof window panel.
Lower the headliner as needed. Refer to Headlining Trim Panel Replacement .
Connect any disconnected hoses.
Ensure that the rear drain hoses are properly routed in the metal roof slot and taped in place.
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 am

Thank you sir 8)
Mark

Postby H3slate » Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for the GM version of troubleshooting. I have a bad leak in the rear sunroof drain. The whole underside of the carpet is wet. :x Got half the interior torn up.
2006 Slate Blue H3

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
H3slate
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Next

Return to H3 Tech