stuck in high 4 lock ?

H3 Specific Information

stuck in high 4 lock ?

Postby dakotah3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:45 pm

My 2006 h3 seems to be stuck in high 4 lock , display shows 4 high , but front end binds and whines when tight turns are made ,as in parking ect. No hummer dealer near me and gm dealer has little exp. with hummer..
Heard talk of plastic actuator in transfer case, anyone been down this road yet. 39k on the clock, have owned truck for a short time,any advice is appreciated...
dakotah3
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 H3 lux

Re: stuck in high 4 lock ?

Postby Robo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:50 pm

If you are still under warranty (4 year/50,000 mile whatever comes first) call HUMMER customer assistance at 866-486-6376. If there is no HUMMER dealership around, they may be able to assist the local GM dealer on how to fix it. They may have some other avenue to help too.
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby TINKED » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Robo wrote:If you are still under warranty (4 year/50,000 mile whatever comes first) call HUMMER customer assistance at 866-486-6376. If there is no HUMMER dealership around, they may be able to assist the local GM dealer on how to fix it. They may have some other avenue to help too.

I don't know if this will help but when my Jeep would get stuck I had to put it in reverse and forward a couple times to dis-enage- I never had a problem with my H3...
Tammy HUM3
Vegas Valley Four Wheelers President
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/TINKED9
VV4W.ORG
TINKED
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 pm

TINKED wrote:
Robo wrote:If you are still under warranty (4 year/50,000 mile whatever comes first) call HUMMER customer assistance at 866-486-6376. If there is no HUMMER dealership around, they may be able to assist the local GM dealer on how to fix it. They may have some other avenue to help too.

I don't know if this will help but when my Jeep would get stuck I had to put it in reverse and forward a couple times to dis-enage- I never had a problem with my H3...

i had to "unwind" the t-case in my H2 and still in my H1 to get them to unengage from 4 hi.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Seth » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Rich wrote:i had to "unwind" the t-case in my H2 and still in my H1 to get them to unengage from 4 hi.

Why don't you elaborate on what unwind entails. Is that just reversing for a short distance and then going back forward?
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Slogger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:45 am

TINKED wrote:I don't know if this will help but when my Jeep would get stuck I had to put it in reverse and forward a couple times to dis-enage- I never had a problem with my H3...

I do remember reading about this somewhere about the H3 a long time ago. I think it was something like you'd have to drive it in reverse while turning to the left or turning to the right. That part I don't remember. That was the first thing I asked the Hummer Mechanic at my first "Hummer Happening" when I couldn't disengage the 4 lo-locked. For me it ended up being a busted front right axle. I had to drive it in 4 high-lock back to the dealership to get it fixed fer free. (warranty) Hope this helps. :/
Simply,
Slogger

http://www.adventureslogger.com
http://www.counterpointphotography.com

2006 H3 Boulder Gray - Adventure / Lux
Add-ons (So Far): •OEM Brush Guards •Thule Roof-Rack •Rola Safari Rack •285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
Slogger
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: H3 - Adventure/LUX

Postby KevinA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:44 am

My 4wheel buttons tend to stick. Check it out. ENought tech for me now :lol:
KevinA
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby 6pack » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 pm

I would try backing up for a short distrance while the 4HI light is the only one on, 30 feet or something then pull forward again and see if that unlocks it. I've had to do that with past trucks that had manual hubs, but I think I remember reading something in our manual about how you might have to do this to get it to unlock.
2007 H3 5 spd, Adv/Lux, Eaton TVS 1320 supercharger, Rebuilt engine w/forged pistons, Custom exhaust, Long tube header, Custom tune, 200 Amp alternator, E-fan, Custom CAI, Coil pack mod, Ron Davis radiator, SAW torsion bars, Outfitter Design X-member bushings steering rack mounts and tie rods, Samco shackles, Fox shocks, Trail Duty bump stops, Rocky Road sliders w/Line-X, Tomp rear shock skids, 35" BFG AT tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ladder, shovel/axe and Hi-Lift mount
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby dakotah3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Update... Was at gm dealer today when he opened up the transfer case, plastic shift fork melted, replacement is aluminum. Cant believe borg and warner would make a plastic shift fork. will have truck back tomorrow.
Will post any other problems, Thanks to all that responded,
dakotah3
New User
New User

Postby Robo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:27 pm

dakotah3 wrote:Update... Was at gm dealer today when he opened up the transfer case, plastic shift fork melted, replacement is aluminum. Cant believe borg and warner would make a plastic shift fork. will have truck back tomorrow.
Will post any other problems, Thanks to all that responded,

Pastic don't rattle and make noise. cheaper :roll:

Glad you got it fixed.
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby 6pack » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:41 pm

Did that fix the problem?
2007 H3 5 spd, Adv/Lux, Eaton TVS 1320 supercharger, Rebuilt engine w/forged pistons, Custom exhaust, Long tube header, Custom tune, 200 Amp alternator, E-fan, Custom CAI, Coil pack mod, Ron Davis radiator, SAW torsion bars, Outfitter Design X-member bushings steering rack mounts and tie rods, Samco shackles, Fox shocks, Trail Duty bump stops, Rocky Road sliders w/Line-X, Tomp rear shock skids, 35" BFG AT tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ladder, shovel/axe and Hi-Lift mount
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby dakotah3 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Hummer is back to its old self after new shift fork in transfer case, plastic fork was so melted / worn that it was not even really touching shift collar that it is suppose to slide back and forth. I wonder why not more failures out there or why this one failed. Maybe excess heat ??? Have had truck back one day, will see what happens ..
dakotah3
New User
New User

Return to H3 Tech