Updates on aftermarket radiators on H3?

H3 Specific Information

Updates on aftermarket radiators on H3?

Postby robguerrero123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Hey guys! Im a new owner (third) to a 2008 base H3.
Ive had my H3 since January 2017. Got it with about 130k miles. I bought it from the second owner who had it for about 30k miles and had changed oil every 3k miles and a thermostat back on 2015. When inspecting it I noticed the reservoir was empty. I inspected for leaks on hoses and found that the frontal hose from the reservoir was "disconnected" but its so short I dont know where it goes. Back hose from the reservoir goes straight to the radiator. No leaks on hoses.

I bought the h3 anyways, old owner had no idea the car had that umplugged hose. He hadnt use the car in the last 2 months since he got a new car (only turning it on every now and then).

I filled up the reservoir with prestone 50/50 till full line. noticed that radiator was full.

about 30-40 miles later i noticed coolant reservoir was almost empty. Filled it up again till full line. Same story 40 miles later.

No visible leaks on hoses, I check my car everytime I use it (Its not a daily driver) and make sure theres coolant in the reservoir. If only used a gallon since I bought the car, but it was evidently leaking coolant and i could smell it whenever i would pop up the hood.

NOW BACK TO THE TOPIC!!! (sorry for long post), Today I noticed a crack on the top of the radiator (plastic part) maybe like 5 inches long. I took a picture of it with the car off for 2 days, then a picture at startup and finally a picture after giving it some gas.

My best guess is coolant is leaking from there, so I will put some epoxy sealant in the mean time.

NOW FINALLY THIS IS MY QUESTION (thank you guys for your patience):

-Being 2017 now, and theres some 11 year old H3's out there im sure a lot of you have changed radiators. Anyone could give an update on them? Did you install an original radiator or a cheaper aftermarket? Is there a better option? Any permanent fix? Ive uploaded the pic of the crack when i gave it some gas

Anyone could also help me showing me or telling me where does that front radiator hose goes to?

-Robert
Attachments
gas.PNG
gas.PNG (47.91 KiB) Viewed 235 times
robguerrero123
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2008 Hummer H3 base

Re: Updates on aftermarket radiators on H3?

Postby robguerrero123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 pm

I mentioned the "loose hose" since it was my first guess on where the coolant was leaking even though I always found it dry and no visual signs of leaks on it or close to it... I dont think its supposed to be not plugged in anywhere, but I cant seem to find out where its supposed to go!
Attachments
hose.JPG
hose.JPG (44.23 KiB) Viewed 234 times
robguerrero123
New User
New User

Postby speedy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 am

The hose is just for overflow. Tuck it under the air box and don't worry about it. 8)

The radiators are known for cracking. Mileage or age doesn't seem to matter it's kinda random.It's a fairly easy job if your mechanically inclined or take it to your favorite mechanic.
You can mail order a stock replacement thru some place like RockAuto or a local radiator shop.There are a few all aluminum after market ones available thru company's like Ron Davis Radiators but carry a higher price.

Coolant loss seems excessive for that spot you showed.If you can't find the leak You may need to have a pressure test done on the cooling system
Yeah I Wheel A Toyota
speedy
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 85 4 Runner

Postby robguerrero123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks speedy, actually that crack on the plastic radiator gets a little wider when giving it gas and splashes coolant towards the grill.

I sealed it yesterday with JB weld water weld and this morning covered it all with jb weld plastic bond. Its pached and hope it holds till I get a new radiator. (Still haven't tested it since i'm applying another coat till finishing the tube).

I would like to know if anyone could recommend an aftermarket alternative to the genuine GM radiator (AC Delco) which is priced close to $300 and seems to crack very often. Ive seen Spectra Premium CU2855 Complete Radiator and the TYC 2855 Replacement Radiator for Hummer on Amazon which go for half and even a third of the price in comparison with the ACDelco.
Has anyone experienced with those replacements (or similar) and could give an update?
I checked out some All aluminum radiator for the H3 but they are very pricy.

Robert
robguerrero123
New User
New User

Postby Happy Hummer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Robert,

Had this same issue sometime ago and found its quicker to just replace unit.
There are a lot of posts about this topic and no right or wrong brand.
With that said, I went with OEM AC Delco. I found it was worth it.
Although Spector is OK to from what I've read.

Chris
Happy Hummer
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby robguerrero123 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks Chris. I've been looking for similar posts and haven't been able to find them. I think I'll go for the Spectra radiator since it has good "reviews". Will install when it arrives and hopefully in a future post good news.

I will also put some epoxy on the metal edge that seems to bump on the radiator, hoping it will make this one last longer before it cracks.

Robert
robguerrero123
New User
New User

Postby Happy Hummer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 pm

You could​ try to gently grind back or rub coat it also.
There are some good threads about this out there.

Here is but one video on installing it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_mh6Q_5Rug
Happy Hummer
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby mjferencak » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:05 am

Amazon has aftermarket radiators for the H3 plastic and aluminum. Mine cracked the same way yours did and I bought the $75 replacement and it's been great. The aluminum one will run you $150. And since we're talking coolant items the H3 water pump only last about 2 to 3 years FYI. I'm on my third one. Check your water pump for excessive play.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J ... UTF8&psc=1
mjferencak
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:08 am

That is very unusually to have to go through so many water pumps.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby mjferencak » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 am

I thought so too. First water pump failed a day before my daughter was born and the second failed on the interstate while crossing a pretty long bridge. Both two years apart. The water pump I have now is a year old. I'll let you know next year when I'm stranded again. :lol:
mjferencak
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 am

Hopefully this one last much longer. Never had an issue on my '06 but traded it when it was 3 years old for the Alpha which is on it's original at 8 years old.
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 am

Radiators were known to wear in certain spots from rubbing (mostly at the top header), but never heard of a problem in regard to the water pump for the 5 or 8 cylinder engines. Not saying they cannot fail; hell, anything man (or woman :D ) made can fail. I had my 06 for two years and put about 30000 miles and never failed. My 08 I had for close to 60000 miles and the dealer replaced the radiator (under warranty) at a hair over 50K miles. Only other warranty items were the rear shocks; and I replaced the rear springs but considering where I usually drove the H3, I will never complain.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2015 Silverado 4x4 CC LTZ

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 pm

I was shocked to hear about going through three water pumps as well. As you said, anything we humans make can fail prematurely but three makes me wonder if something else is wrong putting undue stress on the pump.
Mark

Postby mjferencak » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 am

I've replaced the belt tensioner and the harmonic balancer since then so maybe that was the culprit. Only time will tell.
mjferencak
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 am

That would suck if that was causing your issues all along but great if it's finally fixed and you don't have to worry about it.
Mark

Return to H3 Tech