Problem starting when hot...

H1 (Hummer) & HMMWV Specific Information

Problem starting when hot...

Postby DIEGO » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi!

I´m from Sweden and just bought me my first hummer. Worked fine until the other day when I drove it for a couple of miles and then stopped for an hour or so. And when I was gonna start it I had to crank the engine for quite a while. Almost thought I was going to burn the starter... And when it started there was alot of black smoke. And now it has done the same thing for a couple of times. No problem starting in the mornings or after work, but if I just make a quick stop it won´t start. then I just leave it for a while to cool off and then try to start it again.

The thing is that it does glow, or the light goes on anyway. and theres alot of smoke when it start so it gets fuel. what else does it want!?

Things I´ve checked:

1. the glow plugs. seem to be ok. Measured the amps and they are taking about 10A each
2. opened the air bleed screw on the fuel filter and turned on the key and the little pump beside the filter worked.
3. no bird nest in the air filter or so... so it gets air.

What else can it be?
The hummer isn´t very usual here so theres not alot of people who can help me...

It´s a 1996 H1 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Thankful for any answers!
DIEGO
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H1

Re: Problem starting when hot...

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:34 pm

If you have not been to Flash offroad - http://www.flashoffroad.com/humdefault.htm
you need to see all the info that chuck has put together. It sounds like your FSD is going out
07 Dark Blue H3 Adventure for Wife
97.5 H1 (Gone) - Replaced with 06 Corvette

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Aaron
Aaron
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 97.5 H1 & 07 H3

Re: Problem starting when hot...

Postby ronb » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:36 am

I had the same problem last month during the Mojave/LCC trip (remember at the tunnel?!). Like yours, I'm sure my pmd -- pump mounted driver -- is just getting heat-soaked and starting to go bad. I poured some water on it to cool it off a bit and it started right up. I too am going to have to replace it and/or get a remote one asap.

If this happens again, open the hood and pour a bottle of water over the middle of the engine, if it starts it's probably the pmd.

rb
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Return to H1 Tech