5th wheel trailer (gooseneck) is it possible to install

H1 (Hummer) & HMMWV Specific Information

Postby benallen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:04 am

if you look at the picture posted compared to an open top the bars that come down on an open top would interfer in any towing with a gooseneck when turning, and i have a gooseneck that i tow my hummer with and evertime i go i have to turn it to where if i had it in an open top i would be at those bars or past them.
Ben Allen
Texas
2002 H1 yellow OT
m998 project
benallen
Club Member
Club Member

Postby JnStitz » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:37 pm

I've seen it done multiple times on open tops, 2 doors, hard tops etc, I actually have a friend who has a fifth wheel on his alpha just for towing horses. Its not it can't be done, its just a matter of what your willing to do to make it work. Take the truck to a good hitch shop and it shouldn't be a problem. For mounting specifics go over to http://www.hummernetworkforums.com thats were most H1 owners are...Someone there will be albe to help you.

Besides the mounting issues, no matter what you do to spruce up the motor your still going to be really pushing it towing that much with a 6.5, if you do everything you said and get something to help with the cooling you'll probably be ok short term, but that much stress its just a matter of time until you blow it. Also, keep in mind there are breaking issues, obviously the trailer has its own breaks, but don't forget that if they fail there is no fricken way your going to be stopping that much weight in any sort of resonable distance... I'm not trying to put you down at all, its just the realities of putting that much weight behind a h1.

Last but not least, perhaps consider a duramax swap? It will run you $20k +- but one motor/trans job can be $8-15k...

Hope that helps....

-Jon
war is hell, when in doubt empty the mag
JnStitz
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby sta11ion » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:26 am

JnStitz wrote:I've seen it done multiple times on open tops, 2 doors, hard tops etc, I actually have a friend who has a fifth wheel on his alpha just for towing horses. Its not it can't be done, its just a matter of what your willing to do to make it work. Take the truck to a good hitch shop and it shouldn't be a problem. For mounting specifics go over to http://www.hummernetworkforums.com thats were most H1 owners are...Someone there will be albe to help you.

Besides the mounting issues, no matter what you do to spruce up the motor your still going to be really pushing it towing that much with a 6.5, if you do everything you said and get something to help with the cooling you'll probably be ok short term, but that much stress its just a matter of time until you blow it. Also, keep in mind there are breaking issues, obviously the trailer has its own breaks, but don't forget that if they fail there is no fricken way your going to be stopping that much weight in any sort of resonable distance... I'm not trying to put you down at all, its just the realities of putting that much weight behind a h1.

Last but not least, perhaps consider a duramax swap? It will run you $20k +- but one motor/trans job can be $8-15k...

Hope that helps....

-Jon

Thanks for the help I came to conclusion that the swap with a inch lift is the only answer thanks
sta11ion
New User
New User

Postby JnStitz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:05 am

sta11ion wrote:
JnStitz wrote:I've seen it done multiple times on open tops, 2 doors, hard tops etc, I actually have a friend who has a fifth wheel on his alpha just for towing horses. Its not it can't be done, its just a matter of what your willing to do to make it work. Take the truck to a good hitch shop and it shouldn't be a problem. For mounting specifics go over to http://www.hummernetworkforums.com thats were most H1 owners are...Someone there will be albe to help you.

Hope that helps....

-Jon

Thanks for the help I came to conclusion that the swap with a inch lift is the only answer thanks

One other thing you could do is track down some uparmored HMMWV springs, that will give you three inches of suspension lift for relatively cheap.

-Jon
war is hell, when in doubt empty the mag
JnStitz
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby humslr » Wed May 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Back in the 90's we did several 4 door hard tops like that. It worked fairly well until they hit the first hill with a 5 horse trailer--then it all slowed down.
Great for on the farm or around town.
I even have some AM General litrature from the factory showing trucks with Goosenecks.
Blair~
More H1's than you can imagine--of every year.
Been buying and selling them since 95.

http://USEDH1.com
(901) 378-8877
Blair Outlan
humslr
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby IH-2 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:26 am

FWIW-have seen two hmco trucks with gooseneck ball in back--both with extremely chewed up rear tires--inner edges completely worn if I remember correctly.
IH-2
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby humslr » Thu May 10, 2007 8:35 am

The H1 isn't a Highway tow vehicle, no question about it. Off road and slow it'll tow the world.
More H1's than you can imagine--of every year.
Been buying and selling them since 95.

http://USEDH1.com
(901) 378-8877
Blair Outlan
humslr
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Re: 5th wheel trailer (gooseneck) is it possible to install

Postby Magmax » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:51 am

Have been in contact with both 5th wheeler producers and rig producer, they found the topic interesting.
The rear suspension should be changed to payloads above 4500 lb.
Also the space issue will have to be addressed, the pivot on 5th wheeler should be as much in nose as possible/round nose, as rig is over rear axel.
This I mean is possible with co help from the producers.
An other issue is the engine gearbox drive chain set up:
Contact Predator and get a Duramax LML, an Allison gearbox and stronger drive chain.'
They also can fix the payload issue.
This as diesels are linear in power to consumption, but petrols are exponential so huge consumption when towing.
The non band 6 speed cannot handle load, and differential is not up to load.
(Expect you to go over land with this, right?)
Magmax
New User
New User

Re: 5th wheel trailer (gooseneck) is it possible to install

Postby Ian Ward » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:02 pm

Just my opinion but, there is nota Duramax conversion out there that is been done totally correctly. Before you do a major repair like a engine and transmission conversion that's going to cost you 50 or 60 grand make sure to do your research on the vendor(shop). There are some been vendors out there that don't have the best history for reason. Do your research before you write a check. I specialize in servicing hummers and Hmmwv's. A Cummins 6.7 is the best fitting engine in a hummer. My brother Eric at Big Dog Off is in the process of ironing out all the kinks with the conversion kit. There is a lot to it. Engine mount set up the geometry for the entire powertrain. I have a Duramax conversion in my garage right now( customer truck) that was done by a leading vendor that does very high quality work ( unlike Predator). He said this was the first and definitely the last duramax he will ever do! Its not worth the hassle down the road. Before sending your truck to a shop try to find some of their customers on forums and message them to see if they are happy with the quality of work they received A cummins 6.7 or 5.9 with a Allison 6 speed is totally the way to go.

Ian Ward
Rollin Road Service
Ian Ward
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Previous

Return to H1 Tech