12k axle upgrade

H1 (Hummer) & HMMWV Specific Information

12k axle upgrade

Postby Docj » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Well I've done the 10k to 12k upgrade on my 93 H1. Prompted by 1 broken axle first little trip in the mud. It can be done without taking the geared hub apart. You must remove tire remove old axle, remove 4 bolts that hold inner seal in place. Then from the outer bolt hole in the greared hub using a punch and 10lb sledge drive out the gear the outer bearing will hit the lower gear and hold it in place as you drive the upper gear out of the hub. The inner race will come out first then the gear with the inner bearing still in place will come out. the outer bearing will be loose in the hub and can be taken out or simply but back in the hub against race. the inner bearing must be heated and using punch and sledge driven off the upper gear. I used bench vice and socket in the vice to sit the hub on then heated with propane torch and carefully beat bearing off gear. then simply put bearing on new gear practically slips on then put new gear into hub and drive gear in with new washer In place ( use a little axle grease to keep it in place) and drive gear into outer bearing which is still in hub. Replace race and inner seal then install new 12 K AXLE.

On the front you must remove front diff guard
On rear you can loosen rear diff guard remove the inner bolts and allow it to swing down and out. Emergency brake cable bust be removed as well to get axle in and out.
1993 Hummer H1 HMC4
2007 Hummer H2 37 Nitto's Mud Grapplers
2005 Hummer H2. 37 Toyo MT Magnacharger Supercharger
2003 Hummer H2 5.5 Skyjacker Lift, 38 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Docj
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Hummer H1

Re: 12k axle upgrade

Postby Gadgetmason » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write this... Would love some pics if you took any. I'm looking to do this upgrade, but I have to replace ALL the 'stuff' in the front first (upper/lower ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pitman etc...) I'm off to Japan and will try to save enough while I'm there to put in a nice order to HPG for moog parts.
Gadgetmason
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 1996 H1

Postby Docj » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Meant to take pics, but working alone sweating and covered in grease. Trying to figure out what to do next, picture taking just gets lost in the chaos. Wasn't hard however. Would be easy while changing ball joints geared hub is practically free to carry over to bench and work on it ( Ctis air line and vent tube, and tierod all that's left holding it in place.

Great time to add the spring spacers from modmafia as well :). Get that 2 - 3 inches of lift all at once..

Good luck
1993 Hummer H1 HMC4
2007 Hummer H2 37 Nitto's Mud Grapplers
2005 Hummer H2. 37 Toyo MT Magnacharger Supercharger
2003 Hummer H2 5.5 Skyjacker Lift, 38 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Docj
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Hummer H1

Postby Ian Ward » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:37 am

If you are thinking about doing the spring spacers look into the ones Rubber Duck make. They are by far the best on the market. Every product that mod mafia sells they have ripped off the design from other hummer vendors. When they say the products that they sell are tested and developed that means they were tested and developed by the vendors that the designs were stolen from. If you would like to get ripped off contact mod mafia modmafia.net and they will be happy to do so.
Ian Ward
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Return to H1 Tech