Death Valley - March 18-19, 2006

Event Planning for official HXC Events and HXC Members gatherings

Death Valley - March 18-19, 2006

Postby Rod » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:23 am

Updated info!
As of 3/7/06

If you want to go, let me know! mailto:nevada@hummerxclub.com

Hummer X Club Nevada and friends from California will meet in Death Valley for two days of fun and off-road action. Club membership is not required, there are no event entrance fees and all capable off-road vehicles are welcome. Kids are welcome. You are responsible for your own food, lodging, gas, $20 park entrance fee, etc. Check this message often for updates!

Dates: March 18-19, 2006.

Day One: On Saturday, March 18 we'll meet at and depart from the Furnace Creek Ranch at 8:00 a.m. We'll do Warm Springs Canyon, Goler Wash, Mengel Pass, Aguereberry Point and Barker Ranch (where Charles Manson was captured, by the way). :lol: We'll loop back and spend the night in Furnace Creek.

Pre-run Report: Sections of the trail are challenging but certainly doable. Brush is sparse.

Day Two: Depart Furnace Creek Ranch and head east into Echo Canyon and then over the Funeral Range Mountains. We should be done and on the road home by late afternoon.

Special Note: Steps and nerf bars must be removed for this event. You will not make it with them on!

Hotel: Furnace Creek Ranch. Make reservations early as the Ranch is currently 80%+ booked. Two night stay required. 760.786.2345. Deluxe rooms $170 per night. Most of us are staying in park side rooms, which are $190. (See below for less expensive options.) There are restaurants and a general store/gas station at the Ranch. See the hotel's web site for more info. Bring your swimsuit!

If you'd prefer a hotel that's less expensive, consider the Motel 6 in Beatty, NV. It's about 42 miles away and was confirmed on the pre-run to be clean and safe. $42.00 - $55.00. 775.553.9090.

Camping: The Furnace Creek Campground is down the street from the Ranch. 1.800.365.CAMP. The campground has 136 sites with water, tables, fireplaces, flush toilets and dump station. Rates are $18 per night. Update: The only camp sites left are walk-in campsites. No drive-in sites are available.

Comm: CB preferred. FRS is fine although you'll miss the bulk of the CB trail banter. CH7 on both CB and FRS. If you need a FRS walkie-talkie, I have an extra.

Getting There: CA people check with forum member Bondage for convoy info. NV people, I plan to leave Vegas late in the morning on the 17th. If you want to convoy let me know.

Last edited by Rod on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: '99 HMC4 | '05 SUT

Postby PhilD » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:18 am

You guys are so luicky to have all these places to run. You'd think in a state the size of Texas there would be plenty of the same, but not so, we are restricted to realtively small OHV parks that are far and few between.

Looks like a blast 8)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bondage » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:25 am

[quote=\"PhilD\"]You guys are so luicky to have all these places to run. You'd think in a state the size of Texas there would be plenty of the same, but not so, we are restricted to realtively small OHV parks that are far and few between.

Looks like a blast 8)[/quote]

It's really true - we are VERY lucky. But I don't know for how much longer.... :( When your Senators are named Boxer and Fienstien, places are being closed all the time. There are several beautiful canyons I used to run in my Jeep back in the early 80's. When I got the Hummer last year, I couldn't wait to go see them again - they were all closed.

The idea of preserving our natural resources so that future generations won't be able to enjoy them either is a concept I don't quite grasp.....

But for now, well, it's why we still live in this God forsaken state. Between the horse trails - incredible! - and the 4x4 trails, it's \"like nothing else.\"

;)
Sean
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston
Vehicle: BLACK H2

Postby Bondage » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:32 am

Hey Rodster - another joint CA/NV venture? COOL!

Ginger and I are going to go out to Mengel Pass/Goler Wash and check it out Saturday. We'll take a lot of pics and test out our trail book's GPS coords and dutifully report back here, k?

Are you looking for another two-day event, a one-day, or what? There are so many trails running in so many directions in that area you could probably turn it into anything you want!!! One of the trails is OUT OF THE QUESTION though!!! :o It describes it in the book as a \"narrow crumbling shelf road with no turnouts - and a railroad tie bridge that WILL NOT support more than 6,000 pounds!!!\" I believe we'll skip that one!

The kids are off to Grandma's for the weekend - and we are outta here first thing Saturday morning!

8)
Sean
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston

Postby Rod » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:48 am

[quote=\"Bondage\"]Hey Rodster - another joint CA/NV venture? COOL! [/quote]

That's affirmative.

Ginger and I are going to go out to Mengel Pass/Goler Wash and check it out Saturday. We'll take a lot of pics and test out our trail book's GPS coords and dutifully report back here, k?

Very cool. What book are you using? You have to manually enter the coords and build your route?

Are you looking for another two-day event, a one-day, or what? There are so many trails running in so many directions in that area you could probably turn it into anything you want!!!

I was thinking two. The drive to DV plus the trail mileage plus the drive home might be a bit much for one day. That said, much like the Mojave event, if our planning is good (and it will be ;)) there'll be a convenient bail-out spot for those that want to go home Saturday night.

One of the trails is OUT OF THE QUESTION though!!! :o It describes it in the book as a \"narrow crumbling shelf road with no turnouts - and a railroad tie bridge that WILL NOT support more than 6,000 pounds!!!\" I believe we'll skip that one!

I think I've seen video of that trail and bridge. Will see if I can find it again.

The kids are off to Grandma's for the weekend - and we are outta here first thing Saturday morning!

Lucky you!
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bondage » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:47 pm

[quote=\"Rod\"][quote=\"Bondage\"]Hey Rodster - another joint CA/NV venture? COOL! [/quote]

That's affirmative.

That's just outstandingly cool.
8)

Very cool. What book are you using? You have to manually enter the coords and build your route?

It's a Swagman Guide - So Cal edition. They are GREAT books with fantastic trail descriptions and very precise GPS coords! Yes, you have to build it manually - a pain in the butt, but well worth the effort. Here is the website for the book: http://www.4WDbooks.com Here's the weird bad news...they have editions out for N. Cal, S. Cal, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. They've surrounded but not included Nevada?! What's up with that?

Are you looking for another two-day event, a one-day, or what? There are so many trails running in so many directions in that area you could probably turn it into anything you want!!!

I was thinking two. The drive to DV plus the trail mileage plus the drive home might be a bit much for one day. Agreed! That said, much like the Mojave event, if our planning is good (and it will be ;)) Yes it will! :D there'll be a convenient bail-out spot for those that want to go home Saturday night.

One of the trails is OUT OF THE QUESTION though!!! :o It describes it in the book as a \"narrow crumbling shelf road with no turnouts - and a railroad tie bridge that WILL NOT support more than 6,000 pounds!!!\" I believe we'll skip that one!

I think I've seen video of that trail and bridge. Will see if I can find it again.

Oh man, I'd love to see that!

Lucky you!
Oh yeah....... 8)
[/quote]
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Toots » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:35 pm

Following are a few pictures of the run!!

Mengel Pass Canyon.......
Toots
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: FJ TRD SE

Postby Toots » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Barker Ranch.....Charles Manson's hide out!!
Toots
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Toots » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Can you believe this is Death Valley???
Toots
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Toots » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:37 pm

One of the mines located in the area.
Toots
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Toots » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:38 pm

Warm Springs Mining Equipment.
Toots
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Toots » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Striped Butte Mountain
Toots
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby RedRubi » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:45 pm

That is beautiful country. I'm jealous :(
Hi, my name is David.
I drive a red 2005 Jeep Rubicon.
You're jelous as hell, I can feel it.

;)
RedRubi
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Jeep LJ Rubicon

Postby PhilD » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:58 pm

[quote=\"RedRubi\"]That is beautiful country. I'm jealous :([/quote]Yeah, but at least we have some water ;)

PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rod » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:06 pm

[quote=\"RedRubi\"]That is beautiful country. I'm jealous :([/quote]

Hop on a plane -- we'll find an empty seat for you. :D
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Next

Return to Club Events